Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Swans Players Thread

Ex-Swans Players Thread

Ex-Swans played major roles in the big SANFL match last week when North inflicted Norwood's first loss of the year by a point.

Lewis Johnston kicked three for North, advancing his claims to a callup to the Crows, and Dan Currie got one. Simon Phillips kicked three for Norwood, and Dean Terlich was named in the best players.
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1226389963431

(I know there's another ex-players thread floating around but couldn't find it.)
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Ta Shock. Interesting to see that LJ is still playing in the "ressies". Looks like we did a very good trade!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Adelaide aren't exactly light on for Key position size players though, Walker, Tippett, Talia, Rutten, etc. LJ is competing with these guys for a spot. Can't be easy. They are also traveling pretty well, they wouldn't be making excessive changes to their line up while they're winning. Think it's a bit early to say who has done better out of the trade, Armstrong has played one full game for us, and maybe a bit unkind to LJ also. I wish him all the best and hope to see him getting a run in the seniors soon.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Ta Shock. Interesting to see that LJ is still playing in the "ressies". Looks like we did a very good trade!
    We effectively traded LJ for Walsh and Armstrong. I agree with M_B that it is far too early to determine whether we've done OK out of that trade given we have got just 5 games out of those two combined.

Reply of the game was on last night at 2.30am on ABC.

Very close game and it was good to watch.

LJ played well at that level. However, in my opinion, he won't make it as a regular AFL player. He lacks the strength and prescence to be a true key position player and lacks the pace for a pocket or flanker.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think he still has a chance to make it as a kpp, or at least as a second/third tall- I know he's been in the AFL system for a while, but we got him as a toddler and he's still very young (only turned 21 a few months ago). Still a few years for him to fill out- I know in his time here he wasn't able to do much work at all on lower body strength because of his injuries.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Far too early to call on LJ. Pretty tough to get into that Adelaide side right now.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    Playing in the SANFL is a lot tougher than playing in the NEAFL of course. Good on him.

I know drafting is an inexact science, and you can't predict injuries, but we've certainly done far better in recent history with trades than we have with draft picks. There are obvious exceptions to both (Jetta on the draft side, Chambers on the trade side) of course but that's how it appears to me.

In any event, I wish LJ all the best in SA and hope he cracks it for an AFL spot down the road somewhere. Mature age recruits seem to be getting more of a go now, which doesn't surprise me considering the increasingly physical nature of the game coupled with the stamina needed. Some bodies aren't going to be ready until later and clubs may overlook them. It took Podsiadly a while!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I've watched that game on tape/ iview. Very entertaining. Currie was exceptional, taking plenty of marks around the ground as well as winning the rucks.

This week, Currie was injured and North Adelaide followed up beating the top team, with being flogged by the bottom one! LJ maybe kicked 2; not sure.

Not only did Terlich and Phillips (who kicked 4) go around again for Norwood today, but regular Swans reserves backup from 2011 Kane Murphy cracked it for his SANFL league debut and kicked a goal in a big win. Good on 'im.

So pleased to see Kane Murphy get his first senior (Norwood) game, kicked a goal, got a win, got soaked with two other kiddos (they use water, its not the same photo opportunity as coloured stuff) and hugged his mother, sweat mud and all (nice one Murph). Looks like he is getting solidly stuck in to his path to the future.

Nice to see someone else is watching on SimonH.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    Playing in the SANFL is a lot tougher than playing in the NEAFL of course.
    Maybe the odd side. Only a small handful of AFL listed players in each team. Wouldn't get near the Swans reserves unless tons of injuries.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast