• Geelong - between 10 and 19 points

2 5.71%
  • Geelong - between 20 and 39 points

1 2.86%
  • Geelong - 40 points or more

0 0%

Thread: Round 13 - Geelong

Round 13 - Geelong

Hmmm...the last time we played Geelong was...ah, yes, Round 23 last season at Skilled Stadium. Broke a nine run losing streak to them, and ended their 29 game unbeaten streak at home. And I was there to see it.

But, we still haven't beaten them in Sydney since Round 5, 2006, at Homebush. And the last time we beat them at the SCG was that semi-final in 2005.

You'd like to think we were favourites for this game, but that's what everyone thought last season when then easily beat us by about 5 goals at the SCG.

Both teams are coming off the bye, and our recent record in games after a week off has not been good. Then there's the possibility of it raining...

So we'd better bring our "A" game on Friday night. And if we do, I think we'll win by a couple of goals.

Swans by 14.

This is going to be a cracker of a match. You know Geelong will bring their A game.

Will give us a true indication of where we are at in 2012. The SCG will be rocking on Friday night!!

Swans by 5 points!
    Swannies for life!

I'm going for the 5 goal win, i think our blokes are that good this year
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

I'm not so optimistic! Geelong, although seemingly less terrifying this year, have this air about them. I don't know if it is just expectation, but i tend to think they are building towards a big second half and winning against Sydney at the SCG will be seen as a great catalyst for that. Although people think they have dropped away, they've still eeked out lots of wins and are flying under the radar to sit a win (?) from the top 4.

This will be a very big game for us - the biggest to date considering the congestion of the ladder and the fact that we haven't yet proven our ability to win consistently against good teams. A win would be a massive boost to our credibility and confidence, and should set us up for a good season. We've got some really tough games ahead of us including one at Skilled so we HAVE to at least win our home game.

Quality opposition, high states for either side and add the drama of a friday night game at the SCG, and we've got a ripping contest ahead.

I do have one worry though - the style of football we played against the Dons isn't sustainable. It takes an incredible amount of fitness and poise to play quick and highly skilled two-way footy. North impressed with that sort of stuff for the first couple of games then fell into a ditch. We lasted 3 quarters and then the players were exhausted.

Now I'm not trying to say that we conceded all those points because of tiredness, but obviously our midfield's deficiencies were exposed without the safeguard of the high pressure of their teammates. We still need to improve our contested work, which over the last two games have been less than adequate. Traditionally winning at the stoppages gives your team a wealth of possession and then you don't need to have such a hard running, high pressure game to force turnovers.

It's certainly good to know that our team is able to play with such a high intensity, but it should be used as a selective weapon to run over teams when things are a little close, not right from the first quarter like a bull out of the gates that ends up limping its way home.

On the Rookie List
    If we play like we did for the first 3 qtrs against the bombers, we win. Will be a great game, geelong will throw everything at us but I think we can get them by about 4 goals.

Great tactical battle trying to clear out our forward line and make them pick up all our forwards. If Scarlett or Bartel get loose in teh backline, we'll have a hard time kicking a winning score. With Benny back in our midfield should be able to get on top
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

I much prefer being underdog, even though we've improved this year while Geelong has gone backwards:

Across 26 statistical categories, Geelong in 2010 ranked either No. 1 or 2 in no fewer than 16. Last year, albeit a premiership year where 2010 wasn't, that figure dropped to seven. So far in 2012, the corresponding number is zero; the best rankings a third for both percentage of effective kicks, and marks inside 50.
    Read more: Question mark over the Cats

We should beat them in the ruck, on the inside and on the outside. But the Cats will be scratching so it looks like another heartstopper.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

The day has dawned grey and overcast, although it's not that cold. It's supposed to be quite a windy day.

Can't wait for tonight.

Veterans List
    An absolute pivotal game for us. Win and we're looking top four, lose and we fall back into the scramble beow us, a real eight point game.

If we had beaten Adelaide earlier in the year, we'd now be top of the ladder, that's how important winning games against those around you on the ladder is.

Yes, Geelong this year have been winning wjhen all the stats show they should have lost more games but they do just enough to get them over the line. Retirements and age are starting to make them more beatable but it will be close, a couple of goals our way (please).