Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans want stand-alone Good Friday fixture

Given the vast majority of Australians are either not christian, or do not undertake in any Christian festivals on that day, I think it would be a great idea. The same argument was put about not having an Anzac game (disrespect etc) it is now an institution and a great bonus to the clubs involved.

I hope the swans do get this game regardless of the timeslot.

On the Rookie List
    The question is, if it was to happen, who would be the opponent?? Obviously it would need to be a strong drawing team like coll, ess, carlton, cats etc. So for starters they would have to agree with it. Cant see it happening though, this topic has been around for years and the AFL is yet to schedule a game on good friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    Given the vast majority of Australians are either not christian, or do not undertake in any Christian festivals on that day, I think it would be a great idea. The same argument was put about not having an Anzac game (disrespect etc) it is now an institution and a great bonus to the clubs involved.

I agree. Good day for a game !
    I have a leaning towards an arvo game, but would be happy with either.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I think you may be guiding the lily a little with this. I have been following VFL/AFL football for nearly 45 years, as long as the gate sof the "G" don't open until 1.00 pm there has never been an argument about disrespect, not even from the RSL (of which I am also a member).
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    I am in favour of the idea generally of playing on Good Friday. (By way of a declaration I am mildly religious, but always attend Mass at Easter time). The resistance by the AFL to change appears to reflect a typically conservative Victorian mindset. Bit like the resistance to change the Grand Final from Saturday afternoon.

However, with all due respect to Doctor, 3 o'clock would be the worst possible time from a religious point of view. My view is a 4.40pm start would represent the best fit.
    4.40 would be fine too. I should clarify that I'm not necessarily advocating for a Good Friday game, I can live with it or without it. But if we DID get one, I'd prefer it to be in the afternoon rather than the evening.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I think it is a really good idea actually. An arvo/twilight game would be good and I tend to think that many Swans fans have a sense of occasion so the people will come. There is a hole in the market and I'm glad our club is trying to fill it.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I lived and worked in Sydney I loved Friday night games. I've always been a swans supporter since the mid 60's (following South) in Melbourne. It was a challenge but fun to bring some sydney work colleagues to introduce them to our great game and team. We would stay back after work...have some beers, a quick bite and walk to the SCG. I've also walked from both the MCG and SCG to their respective CBD's and the SCG is definetely closer.
    ....by the way, those work colleagues I introduced to the game have all renewed their Swan memberships since 1995!

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    one other comment is that the broadcasters will have a great say with the start time to any games. Even if Good Friday was approved, I can see it being in the same Friday evening timeslot as the broadcasters argue that they attract more viewers at night.

Happy and I know it
    I understand why general Friday night games (not including this idea of GF) suit people who work in the city and can come straight to the SCG by themselves or with workmates.

For those of us who don't work in the city and have to collect other people on the way to the ground and travel to the city on a Friday night, it's a damn nuisance. I imagine that if you worked in the city but had to go home to collect kids and other family members, it would be worse.

Also we are assuming it would be at the SCG. Would people feel differently if a Friday night game was held at ANZ?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I think you may be guiding the lily a little with this. I have been following VFL/AFL football for nearly 45 years, as long as the gate sof the "G" don't open until 1.00 pm there has never been an argument about disrespect, not even from the RSL (of which I am also a member).
    Snip "] Sheedy organised a meeting with officials from Essendon and Collingwood, and the then Victorian Returned and Services League (RSL) President Bruce Ruxton, who was also a keen Collingwood supporter, and proposed his concept for the match day and game which would honour the Anzac spirit. Despite their previous opposition to football on Anzac Day, Ruxton and the RSL agreed with Sheedy's proposal, as did the AFL." snip

Think you are misguided on the rsl point. They had clear objections at the outset. Anyway, this is about good Friday public holiday, and as previously stated, for most Australians, it's just another public holiday. It Woud be a great day to take the family to the footy.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    What do you mean by "mildly" religious? I thought you either believed or you didn't?
    Well Missy Cheer Squad, it's not like being pregnant. You can believe in only 1 or 2 of the trilogy. That's what makes me a Methodist Baptist. There's method in my belief.

I'm always looking for a good baptism ritual in a hot tub preferably with a young lady devotee. My body is a Temple and I'm trying to found the ladies to come and worship.

Yes, Friday Night game would make sense.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar

Swans suppporters are always trying to nail Jessie or Andrejs up, so that bit is done.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast