Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans want stand-alone Good Friday fixture

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Swans suppporters are always trying to nail Jessie or Andrejs up, so that bit is done.
    Possibly the point yv made
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Veterans List
    I stand corrected but I thought Friday night was the Channel 7 live game. Problem here is they have the Victorian institution called "The Good Friday RCH Telethon", that goes until midnight.

Ch7 would have to forego that game and allow it to be exclusively on Fox Footy.

I wonder if that is in the TV rights agreement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I stand corrected but I thought Friday night was the Channel 7 live game. Problem here is they have the Victorian institution called "The Good Friday RCH Telethon", that goes until midnight.

You're right Nico.
    As much as I'd love to have a game on GF, it will put Ch7 in a difficult spot.
    I wouldn't mind spending the night down the RSL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    Snip "] Sheedy organised a meeting with officials from Essendon and Collingwood, and the then Victorian Returned and Services League (RSL) President Bruce Ruxton, who was also a keen Collingwood supporter, and proposed his concept for the match day and game which would honour the Anzac spirit. Despite their previous opposition to football on Anzac Day, Ruxton and the RSL agreed with Sheedy's proposal, as did the AFL." snip

Think you are misguided on the rsl point. They had clear objections at the outset. Anyway, this is about good Friday public holiday, and as previously stated, for most Australians, it's just another public holiday. It Woud be a great day to take the family to the footy.
    You may well be right about Ruxton, however football has been played on Anzac day in Melbourne for as long as I can remember, which goes back to the days of VFL Park in waverley, so at least the early 70's.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Vlad said last year on ABC radio it wouldn't happen because of the impact it would have on the RCH appeal, as well as the Church thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Swans suppporters are always trying to nail Jessie or Andrejs up, so that bit is done.
    They could have a lookalike comp at halftime, like the capper one at the 30 year anniversary.

LRT as the leper
    Jessie as Mary magdelaine
    Andrejs as The donkey in the barn

The list is endless

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    They could have a lookalike comp at halftime, like the capper one at the 30 year anniversary.

LRT as the leper
    Jessie as Mary magdelaine
    Andrejs as The donkey in the barn

The list is endless
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Vlad said last year on ABC radio it wouldn't happen because of the impact it would have on the RCH appeal, as well as the Church thing.
    I know the thought is to have the game in Sydney, but imagine how much money they could raise by having tin rattlers at the gates??

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    I am in favour of the idea generally of playing on Good Friday. (By way of a declaration I am mildly religious, but always attend Mass at Easter time). The resistance by the AFL to change appears to reflect a typically conservative Victorian mindset. Bit like the resistance to change the Grand Final from Saturday afternoon.

However, with all due respect to Doctor, 3 o'clock would be the worst possible time from a religious point of view. My view is a 4.40pm start would represent the best fit.
    Why?

A game will be played on Good Friday soon enough - may as well be us.
    You'll find taht more people consider AFL their religion than anything else.
    Happy to play anyobe except Collingwood. Don't care if they will bring in more $$$, they have too many big days already.
    Don't really care for the Good Friday appeals - to me they're just a way for a good deal of the majority to give a bit of cash and feel good about themselves.
    Unfortunately, it all goes to one charity, which I think is wrong - it should be rotated through otehr worthy charities.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

I imagine if they ran part of a telethon from the ground, brought up the number during the game etc. they'd probably get a few more viewers than normal and it might boost the coffers.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Veteran Site Admin
    In an age where C7 have a number of digital channels I don't see why a charity telethon should stand in the way of C7 also broadcasting an AFL game. They can just show it on Mate, which they already use to broadcast AFL in the evening spots in NSW and Queensland.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast