Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Swans want stand-alone Good Friday fixture

Goes up to 11
    From what I understand tin rattlers generally receive disappointing donations at footy games - you'd think everyone would put in a dollar or two but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I wasn't even aware of there being a telethon in Melbourne on Good Friday. If that's an issue, there are plenty of non-Melbourne teams in the AFL - Swans v Eagles would be a good matchup for example. Or Swans v Lions. As Liz said, there are plenty of digital channels to broadcast on, and with this national competition, there's not really any need to pander to Melbournites all the time......

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I'm sure you meant "so you have no issues...."

There isn't a fuss every year when it isn't on, it is more likely to be the other wau around.

For those on here who don't know, I am a Minister of Religion, so you would expect me to object to there being an AFL game on Good Friday. But in the end, what I want or not won't be taken into account.
    I was saying that I'm not religious and I don't care that there is no footy on.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    I'm a bit surprised that Sheedy the ideas man, hasn't already jumped on this to make it an annual Swans/GWS on Good Friday. Maybe it would become like Ess/Coll on Anzac Day.

But it ain't gonna happen while D is in control of the AFL anyway.

Bit if it does , please, please not a 440pm start...they're a time destroyer..the game takes a chunk from both afternoon and evening...I much prefer 210 or 710, that way, you have either an afternoon or evening to fulfil some of the other pleasures in life.

I suspect that this will get up eventually.

The AFL hierarchy may well wait until GWS get stronger and allocate a "First State Derby" to this date. I can see the day when Swans v Giants will be a blockbuster (locally at the very least).

They could swap the home team each year so both share in the bottom line blockbuster benefits. Meanwhile, those reluctant Victorian interests can be suitably placated by the match not involving a Vic team. I suspect it would still rate highly across the nation with no other games on the day.

It would have to be a night game for TV interest to be maximised. I mean what else is there to do on Good Friday evening other than watch the umpteenth re-run of "King of Kings".

I support the move. Friday night. GWS v Sydney.

Goes up to 11
    I had thought about GWS as well but if these matches become a derby-blockbuster type event, as those 'experts' on Sydney at AFL House seem to think will happen, then there's no need to specially program such a blockbuster on a special date. I personally don't see the people of Sydney getting that excited about a Swans GWS game anyway, so I would prefer we played an out of town team on Good Friday if the concept ever gets up.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I personally don't see the people of Sydney getting that excited about a Swans GWS game anyway, so I would prefer we played an out of town team on Good Friday if the concept ever gets up.
    It would be better if our Sydney membership get excited and attend our next match with the Giants. They drew 38,203 to that first derby back in March, so that's the mark we have to beat. We'll find out in about a week's time.

And given how much the Giants have improved since then, it should be an intriguing encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    A game will be played on Good Friday soon enough - may as well be us.
    Agree, but I always thought a Saints v. Demons clash would be more appropriate.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    We have a winner......

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I defer to a higher Being.

Oh man, pleaaase give us more Friday night games!!!

No more damn watering the grass tho like they did in that Cats / Swans game in 05 tho!!! Whoever that groundskeeper was deserves to be sacked!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234