Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans want stand-alone Good Friday fixture

Blog Entries

Swans want stand-alone Good Friday fixture

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Given the sensitive nature of Good Friday in the AFL heartland, Swans chief executive Andrew Ireland would not confirm any specific dates regarding possible future scheduling.

"The AFL have asked all the clubs to come back to them with suggestions about finding slots in the draw to have games that would attract blockbuster status," Ireland said. "At the moment we're looking at a range of games in the Sydney market."

Ireland claimed Friday night matches had great appeal because of the SCG's proximity to the city.

"The SCG is actually closer to the CBD than the MCG is in Melbourne," Ireland said.

Happy and I know it
    Friday night games may have great appeal to Ireland, but not to me. If it's a public holiday anyway, I'd always vote for an afternoon game (not that the AFL takes any notice of me).
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I agree Erica. The Anzac Day NRL game works in Sydney because it's an afternoon game. A Friday night AFL standalone would clash with the NRL Good Friday games and (IMO) attract fewer people than a 2.10 start. At that time of the year you could start a little later, maybe 3.10, because the weather is still warmer.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I agree with both Doctor & Erica that Good Friday games should be played in the arvo. Nobody has much to do on Good Friday as everything is closed. Clashing with NRL's Games of the Week would be stupid thinking.

Regular in the Side
    I am in favour of the idea generally of playing on Good Friday. (By way of a declaration I am mildly religious, but always attend Mass at Easter time). The resistance by the AFL to change appears to reflect a typically conservative Victorian mindset. Bit like the resistance to change the Grand Final from Saturday afternoon.

However, with all due respect to Doctor, 3 o'clock would be the worst possible time from a religious point of view. My view is a 4.40pm start would represent the best fit.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    I am in favour of the idea generally of playing on Good Friday. (By way of a declaration I am mildly religious, but always attend Mass at Easter time). The resistance by the AFL to change appears to reflect a typically conservative Victorian mindset. Bit like the resistance to change the Grand Final from Saturday afternoon.

However, with all due respect to Doctor, 3 o'clock would be the worst possible time from a religious point of view. My view is a 4.40pm start would represent the best fit.
    What do you mean by "mildly" religious? I thought you either believed or you didn't?

Mostly on Friday nights the NRL plays 2 games, one is usually interstate or in NZ, so we 'd more often than not be clashing with one game. The problem would be more one of logistics with it being a PH, people want to get paid penalty rates etc and public transport would have to be arranged. When teh SCG is up to spec again and 48,000 are attending, the absurd parking at and around the SCG wouldn't be nearly enough. I can't speak to the religious aspect of Good Friday other than to agree that there isn't much to do so a good crowd would be all but guaranteed. Even if teh game is played earlier, the TV can be delayed broadcast, and who doesn't have a DVR these days?
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

I'm not religious at all but I have no issue with there being no footy on Good Friday. It's only one day of the year and I don't see why there's a fuss every year when it's not on.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    What do you mean by "mildly" religious? I thought you either believed or you didn't?
    I kind of believe we will win the premiership this year..... Is that what having 'mild' beliefs means???

BTW the SCG is closer to the CBD? Really???? Wouldn't have thought so. Transportation to the SCG is appalling - I'm fortunate that I can walk, but in terms of accessibility, the MCG ( and Docklands for that matter) wins hands down...

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    I'm not religious at all but I have no issue with there being no footy on Good Friday. It's only one day of the year and I don't see why there's a fuss every year when it's not on.
    I'm sure you meant "so you have no issues...."

There isn't a fuss every year when it isn't on, it is more likely to be the other wau around.

For those on here who don't know, I am a Minister of Religion, so you would expect me to object to there being an AFL game on Good Friday. But in the end, what I want or not won't be taken into account.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    There is a big difference between having faith as well as belief, and being religious. When I say I am mildly religious, I mean that I am a semi regular attendee of church. My faith and belief are an entirely different matters.

Goes against the grain with me. Don't like Friday night games anyway. But don't want GF game. That's my opinion.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast