Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Match Day Thread - Swans vs Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    The BOG would have to go to Jack Lynch playing in jumper 42. That was bringing back some of the old Bevan spirit. What a champeen. Straight off the rookie list, into first grade and then back on the rookie list before anyone blinked.

I am still waiting for someone to notice Billy. I larfed and larfed, and then I larfed again. Are we the only ones to have noticed?
    I noticed that Lynch at 42 was displayed on screen instead of Mumford at 41.

Yes, it was a minor error, but we also had the ground announcer talking over the away team's song as they came on, and no quarter by quarter scores on the screens in the SE and NW of the ground. Maybe little things, but if they want us to look forward to traveling to ANZ Stadium then they need to keep things tight.
    Conrad

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    The Cats only got 13,000 today at Simonds Stadium against the Power in wet conditions, so it shows that the impact of reserved seat members not turning up is more keenly felt during a stadium redevelopment... do the Swans still have a seat re-sale program for members? Members used to be able to sell their seats back to the club if they couldn't make it to a particular match, and if the seat was sold they would get credit for it for the following year's membership. With the SCG at reduced capacity for the rest of this year and next year, it would be a good opportunity to free up seats that otherwise wouldn't be available.

I was very disappointed that I was unable to attend last night's game (even though the result was never in doubt), and while there were a number of factors at play that contributed to last night's poor crowd, I still think that it's a shame that more Swans members weren't prepared to make the trip out to see their team play, because it's not every day we're second on the ladder and we have been playing some of our best football in years.

Happy and I know it
    Don't worry, they'll all jump back on the bandwagon once we're winning finals.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly View Post
    [Poor crowd]

It's more an indication to Swans' fans disinclination to watch games at that cavernous dump at Homebush. Takes a decent match-up to draw more than the diehards out there.
    An obvious problem was scheduling this game in late June. Really really dumb, AFL.

First, from marketing position, there is a really tough football code battle when there are two AFL teams competing in Sydney, particularly noting a Western Sydney teams fighting in Rugby League heartland. A Sydney AFL derbv is a very important tool to market the AFL code in the New South Wales capital. So why why why, was this important game scheduled a few days before the traditional NRL game of the year-the decider Rugby League State of Origin!? From the point of the Sydney newspapers (particularly the Daily Telegraph), and the Sydney media, (especially commercial FM radio), the Swans- Giants game was almost completely ignored.

Second, again if the intent was to get bums on seat, why hold this game on the first day of the New South Wales school holidays?

Plain stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    An obvious problem was scheduling this game in late June. Really really dumb, AFL.

First, from marketing position, there is a really tough football code battle when there are two AFL teams competing in Sydney, particularly noting a Western Sydney teams fighting in Rugby League heartland. A Sydney AFL derbv is a very important tool to market the AFL code in the New South Wales capital. So why why why, was this important game scheduled a few days before the traditional NRL game of the year-the decider Rugby League State of Origin!? From the point of the Sydney newspapers (particularly the Daily Telegraph), and the Sydney media, (especially commercial FM radio), the Swans- Giants game was almost completely ignored.

Second, again if the intent was to get bums on seat, why hold this game on the first day of the New South Wales school holidays?

Plain stupid!
    I get what you're saying but excuses are just excuses. People didn't show up. It was a perfect winter's night.

On another matter, can anyone explain why the hell the boundaries were so far in? They've never been in that far out there before.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I get what you're saying but excuses are just excuses. People didn't show up. It was a perfect winter's night.

On another matter, can anyone explain why the hell the boundaries were so far in? They've never been in that far out there before.
    May I add a third reason (or "excuse") for the low attendance. When it comes to ticket prices, the responsible authority has no idea. Particularly being a GSW away game, surely more modest prices could have been considered. My understanding is that the cheapest prices were for adults $63/children $33. Take a family of four with the cheapest seats, you looking at nearly $200. AFL guys, this is not Melbourne where there is a near obsession for Aussie Rules. In Rugby League heartland Sydney, if you want AFL is to go well, the AFL officials need to put on their thinking caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    The BOG would have to go to Jack Lynch playing in jumper 42. That was bringing back some of the old Bevan spirit. What a champeen. Straight off the rookie list, into first grade and then back on the rookie list before anyone blinked.

I am still waiting for someone to notice Billy. I larfed and larfed, and then I larfed again. Are we the only ones to have noticed?
    No I noticed also, pretty dumb thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by conradhc View Post
    I noticed that Lynch at 42 was displayed on screen instead of Mumford at 41.

Yes, it was a minor error, but we also had the ground announcer talking over the away team's song as they came on, and no quarter by quarter scores on the screens in the SE and NW of the ground. Maybe little things, but if they want us to look forward to traveling to ANZ Stadium then they need to keep things tight.
    It seemed like amateur hour there last night!
    Apart from the beautiful evening itself it was a pretty ordinary night out.

the stadium is a spud as far as watching AFL goes, and I mean in all areas
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Reasons why supporters don't turn up
    1) if you live on the North Shore/Eastern Suburbs/City, it is an additional 40/50 minutes to and from the stadium.
    2) the additional travel to and from draws out any plans that you may have i.e. you have to meet up with friends early, organise dinner, leave after dinner, get to Central, catch a train, try and get a good seat in GA. Get back into the city at 11ish :| the corresponding game on Friday the night before allowed us to grab something to eat on the way, and be at a pub 20 minutes after the game.
    3) The atmosphere at ANZ tends to be crap. This game was nowhere near as fun to watch as the Collingwood game last year.
    4) the opposition was not worth traveling for. tbh I think they would have sold more tickets if we had played Geelong there last Friday instead of GWS this Saturday.
    5) the casual Swans supporter (who is still important - I don't think you would call 80,000 Collingwood fans all die-hards) want a spectacle. Last Friday delivered. Most knew the second Derby wouldn't. It's pretty simple.

PS ticket prices weren't that bad, GA was only $30 or so, and plus there were free tickets given out for students or families or something.
    At the end of the day, Swans are competing for Sydney's entertainment dollar, and the casual observer would not have found the game that entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    This is also my opinion, I'd rather be boiled in oil than spend 3 hours travelling to this lifeless ill inspired dump
    +23,000

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789