Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 15 v The Lions

LRT played forward and back. Once again he did everything asked of him. A great team man who deserves to keep his spot in the XXII. I agree that we need a small forward though, and TDL killed it in the ressies apparently. If Mattner's out I'd bring him in and shuffle the positional deck slightly.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Don't think we'd gain or lose much of anything bringing Spangher in for LRT, personally.

Would like to see TDL come back in but not sure where he fits.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    We need a small forward, so TDL must come in, but it just seems Longmire wont drop anyone
    Do we have any idea on Mattners injury? If he misses I'd like to see Lewie back in defence and TDL back in.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I thought LRT was mediocre to ordinary last night and we had one too many talls in the forward line but I'm sure he'll retain his spot regardless. Not sure that Armstrong is really in our best 22 yet but i'd be inclined to keep him for a couple more games yet
    Really? You don't rate LRT

Sometimes, when your wrong, just admit it. He played a solid game, kicked 2 goals. Filled in in the backline when Marty went down. Swans won,
    LRT did his job, as asked, week in week out.

Seriously, give it up

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post

Sometimes, when your wrong, just admit it. He played a solid game, kicked 2 goals. Filled in in the backline when Marty went down. Swans won,

Seriously, give it up
    Please, and thank you. The problem with bringing in players from our ressies is they are not fit enough to play at the level of intensity required, usually playing against totally inferior opposition, they need a few weeks to get up to senior pace, it's also a problem when rotating the sub. If we had a VFL strong comp, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it is what it is and we need to stick with the match hardened blokes we have. I don't think MM even got a game in the ressies last week so forget that, Spang missed the pre season and on the list goes
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

I am increasingly reluctant to buy into the lrt debate, in part because my views are clearly at odds with the coaches. But for what it's worth I would certainly be making room for tdl because he actually knows how to lead and mark, actions which are rarely found in our forward line.

Anyway I am glad lrt managed to play back for a quarter or so.

I don't think anything much can be gathered from that performance against that opposition. The lions game is important and interesting. They are playing reasonable footy and have a genuine two talls forward line, so this would be one game where I would keep lrt in the 22 because he can compete with brown or Merritt, in the event either reg or ted had problems.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post

Seriously, give it up
    I'm sorry my opinion doesn't fit in with RWO groupthink, I must be wrong then.

At best he is on the fringes of our best 22, he's not in mine.

2 goals out of 37 scoring shots for the team is OK but hardly setting the world on fire, how is he going to go against the top notch defences?

He took 0 contested marks against what is probably the worst defence in the comp

When the ball hits the ground he is has poor agility and always has someone in hot pursuit which makes him pick poor options, how many times did he collect the ball and then handball to a player less than a metre away only to put them under the pump

Even when he went back his decision making was average

The simple fact is that being versatile means jackschitt when you aren't very good. He is a good key defender, poor forward and a terrible ruckman. His problem is that we have 2 key defenders (3 if you include Johnson) who are better players than him, and a better forward option in TDL sitting in the reserves. Also his versatility isn't required when we already have Everitt in the team.

I don't see how we can continue to play a forward line with 4 talls (Reid, Goodes, LRT and Mummy/Pyke). The good teams are running us down at the end of games because we are one runner short, our ruck combo is looking really good at the moment and Pyke offers more to the team than LRT

Collingwood, Eagles, Bombers, Crows and Hawks are the our main contenders this year. LRT wouldn't get a game at all with the first 3 and would probably get a game in the back half with the Crows and Hawks, he's not good enough to play as a forward or ruck for those 2.

Healthy debate is good
    But I guess we have to keep in mind that our debates won't have any effect on selections made :/

On the veteran's list
    I guess the coaches haven't analysed selection enough. If only they had our insights, experience and access to information. Then the team may get up into the upper reaches of the ladder .... what? .... we're where? ...... you're joking? ...... we're second? ....... get away ..... come on .....
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

At best he is on the fringes of our best 22, he's not in mine.

2 goals out of 37 scoring shots for the team is OK but hardly setting the world on fire, how is he going to go against the top notch defences?

He took 0 contested marks against what is probably the worst defence in the comp

When the ball hits the ground he is has poor agility and always has someone in hot pursuit which makes him pick poor options, how many times did he collect the ball and then handball to a player less than a metre away only to put them under the pump

Even when he went back his decision making was average

The simple fact is that being versatile means jackschitt when you aren't very good. He is a good key defender, poor forward and a terrible ruckman. His problem is that we have 2 key defenders (3 if you include Johnson) who are better players than him, and a better forward option in TDL sitting in the reserves. Also his versatility isn't required when we already have Everitt in the team.

I don't see how we can continue to play a forward line with 4 talls (Reid, Goodes, LRT and Mummy/Pyke). The good teams are running us down at the end of games because we are one runner short, our ruck combo is looking really good at the moment and Pyke offers more to the team than LRT

Collingwood, Eagles, Bombers, Crows and Hawks are the our main contenders this year. LRT wouldn't get a game at all with the first 3 and would probably get a game in the back half with the Crows and Hawks, he's not good enough to play as a forward or ruck for those 2.
    I agree. I'm not sure why people get so worked up, it's just a difference of opinion - it's not about 'hating' him.

I don't understand the versatility argument. He really hasn't played in the backline since 2010 and while Pyke's in the side, he is not a ruckman. He is a key forward at the moment and he should be judged as one.

He's obviously doing things that the coaches want that I don't notice. I just think you could argue that TDL or Spangher would improve our forward line.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    I guess the coaches haven't analysed selection enough. If only they had our insights, experience and access to information. Then the team may get up into the upper reaches of the ladder .... what? .... we're where? ...... you're joking? ...... we're second? ....... get away ..... come on .....
    What an intelligent well thought out post that added alot to the thread, so witty as well, you are obviously an intellectual giant

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Can't improve? No doubt the coaches are more knowledgeable but that doesn't mean they're always right. I don't know if we can win big finals with our current forward set up. I'd love to be proved wrong.

It's a forum. What do you want to see, no opinions?
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast