Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 15 v The Lions

Regular in the Side
    I heartily love these discussions, and I wouldn't want anyone's opinion to be discounted. .....however the most likely outs are McVeigh and Mattner.
    Does anybody have any idea how we could cover for these two 'best 22' players? I believe Parker is at least another week away, so which mids are performing in the ressies?

You would think Eski would be the natural swap for Marty.

Bird will come up from sub to take Macca's spot.

I like the idea of TDL coming in as sub, giving us a late marking target against tired defenders.

Of course, it'd be great to see Spangher/Morton play, but Everitt & LRT hold those spots for now. As for the LRT discussion- it's quite clear the Swans tactics this year has involved bombing along the boundary and hitting a contest down the line, and LRT can be a good option for that, saving Reid/Goodes for further upfield.

Veterans List
    Why is McV a chance to miss? Missus expecting?

Would like to see TDL given another chance, perhaps meaning Birdy goes back to the twos for a spell. Otherwise, no change.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    ......The simple fact is that being versatile means jackschitt when you aren't very good. He is a good key defender, poor forward and a terrible ruckman. His problem is that we have 2 key defenders (3 if you include Johnson) who are better players than him, and a better forward option in TDL sitting in the reserves. Also his versatility isn't required when we already have Everitt in the team....
    This hurts....your views are a bit strong for a premiership player and a great clubman. It also hurts because you have nailed it. I genuinely wish it wasn't so. For all the reasons cited, TDL deserves a place in the ones. He really does. LRT signed a two-year deal last year and he has 18 months left on his contract. The way things are going he is going to end his career in the twos, most likely all of next year. I hope he hangs up his boots at the end of 2012 and goes out with his dignity, pride, achievements and honour intact. It would be a tragedy to go out like Seaby and White.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I thought that Nolen only :butchered the ride" because he dropped his hands, as he often does for BC, so the horse cruises to the line but this time the horse simply stopped and he had to get her going again to win the race. So his "butchery" consisted of expecting the usual instead of considering the horse might be injured and needed to be pushed to the line?
    Beg to disagree. Nolen's ride was a howler of a ride. He has never previously dropped his hands on BC. He has always ridden her out hands and heels. There is difference between riding hands and heels and dropping your hands. When a jock drops the hands the horse thinks, "my job is done" and slows considerably. Not only did he drop his hands a long way out but he also stood up in the saddle and didn't look to his left. If that had happened in Australia he would have copped a hefty suspension and fine, win, lose or draw. Today I saw a replay of the ride of Roy Higgins some years back in the MV Cup, when he dropped his hands and got nutted on the line. Nolens ride was much worse. All credit to BC who stuck her head out when her postillion realised in the last few strides that things were about to get tragic.

On the veteran's list
    I can't even be bothered responding to your rant because most of it is rubbish (WTF are you going on about in the ps????)

Let me point something out to you, coaches are human, humans can make mistakes. You don't always need to be in the inner sanctum of a football club to see this. Let me give you a couple of examples from this season:

1. Clarkson wanting to play Buddy in the midfield - blind freddy (and maybe even you) can see that he is at his most dangerous in the forward 50. Clarkson realised the errors of his ways and has returned him to the forward line, but not before multitudes of Hawks supporters posted their frustration at the tactic on various forums. They didn't need to be on the match committee to see that it wasnt going to be an effective tactic

2. Ratten slaughtering Kruezer in the ruck despite the fact he is clearly injured and shouldn't be on the park. Watch a replay of Friday night's game against the Hawks and you'll see Kruezer moving around with the agility of a 35 year old. He's 21 with a history of injuries already, if Ratten keeps it up he'll end up like Josh Fraser

It may come as a suprise to you but I am not on the MC of Carlton or Hawthorn, I have however identified misjudgements/errors that their existing coaches did not, sometimes it's not rocket science.

And thanks for giving me permission to continue to post on RWO, whilst my opinion may be uninformed at least I show my fellow posters respect and aren't a condescending moo like yourself.

PS Nolen did butcher the ride on BC and has admitted so himself, nobody knew (including Nolen) that she was injured until after the race
    1. So when your argument is decimated with logic you just label it a "rant" and move on. I pointed out, with examples, in my post of how you can't judge a player's performance if you don't know the coach's instructions and expectations.

2. The reference to "alot" was to tell you subtly that there is no such word, although you use it a lot.

3. You rightly point out that coaches are human and humans make mistakes. Your two examples of Clarkson and Ratten, while dubious in their relevance are evidence that the coaching staff made the changes when they thought an alternative was better. At this stage the LRT situation is a winner, why change it. (By the way, to suggest fans, in this case you, see things that the coaches don't is, quite frankly, egotistical and ridiculous.)

4. I didn't mention anything about giving permission to post. I just said your recent posts lack any credibility other than that of a casual observer of the game with no special knowledge or insights into the team. (Same as we all are on here.)

5. Nolen did nothing he hasn't done before with Black Caviar and was a victim of the horse's fitness which he couldn't have known about. And to say he dropped his hands (like another poster has said in supporting you) is incorrect. In every other start she has had, he has let her coast to the line and that is what happened this time except she was hurting and pulled up quicker. I have a background in horses and racing and know my apples.
    Last edited by The Big Cat; 2nd July 2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

I am resisting joining this because I am frankly sick of the debate, but I remain in the lrt does little other than provide an occasional contest. He tries hard but so did the unlamented bevo. And people constantly harken back to 2005 - which is pretty tragic if his last good game is seven years ago.

Anyway I am over this debate.

On the Nolen thing - I agree he did what he normally does, but he made a fundamental blue which was because he was drawn the outside rail he assumed that there was no likely pressure coming from outside him. It was a terrible ride because he failed to notice that his major threat had tracked him into the race and pulled off heels. I've watched that horse a lot of times and he does usually let it coast but you simply couldn't do that in a race where you couldn't know the form lines accurately.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    It's a debate, the only one taking it personally is caj23. It's a bit laughable to suggest those who question the constant questioning of LRT are the ones stifling debate?

Whether you rate him or not, LRT had a solid game at the weekend. Ok, against weak opposition, but he played a solid game at both ends of the ground. Not being able to admit that because of a preconceived idea is bound to raise eyebrows.
    We need Buzz Lightyear-Thompson this week to counteract the dreaded Zorko !!!!!

I would add Jesse as well.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    1. So when your argument is decimated with logic you just label it a "rant" and move on. I pointed out, with examples, in my post of how you can't judge a player's performance if you don't know the coach's instructions and expectations.

2. The reference to "alot" was to tell you subtly that there is no such word, although you use it a lot.

3. You rightly point out that coaches are human and humans make mistakes. Your two examples of Clarkson and Ratten, while dubious in their relevance are evidence that the coaching staff made the changes when they thought an alternative was better. At this stage the LRT situation is a winner, why change it. (By the way, to suggest fans, in this case you, see things that the coaches don't is, quite frankly, egotistical and ridiculous.)

4. I didn't mention anything about giving permission to post. I just said your recent posts lack any credibility other than that of a casual observer of the game with no special knowledge or insights into the team. (Same as we all are on here.)

5. Nolen did nothing he hasn't done before with Black Caviar and was a victim of the horse's fitness which he couldn't have known about. And to say he dropped his hands (like another poster has said in supporting you) is incorrect. In every other start she has had, he has let her coast to the line and that is what happened this time except she was hurting and pulled up quicker. I have a background in horses and racing and know my apples.
    1. LOL there was no logic, it was an incoreherent rant. If the best that he can do is be a decoy forward he is not good enough for a premiership contender, but its clear i'm wasting my time with you because you're too simple to comprehend that

2. No it was a pathetic attempt to try and appear superior by highlighting a grammatical error, how typically condescending of you

3. Well no, Ratten is still playing Kruezer in the ruck each week and every man and his dog can see that it is detrimental to both the player and the team, it seems pretty relevant to this scenario to me. Plenty of coaches make selection or tactical errors on a regular basis which are quite apparent to fans, I gave you a couple of recent examples, so no it isn't ridiculous.

4. Thanks Captain Obvious for stating that this is a forum for Swans fans

5. You proclaim yourself a horse racing expert when clearly you have no idea, it was a poor ride by Nolen and given that he put his hand up and admitted it I wouldn't have thought that there was any argument to the contrary, but you obviously know better than the man himsef. BTW what kind of moo says I know my apples??
    Last edited by caj23; 2nd July 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: formatting

I don't like the idea of Malceski replacing Marty.
    They have completely different playing styles.
    Marty puts his head over the ball, backs into packs, tackles and chases like his life depends on it.
    Sometimes his disposal is poor and decisions are ify.
    Malceski plays loose and soft. He rarely makes defensive plays of any note.
    His great attribute of the past was his kicking disposal, that has fallen away of late.
    Armstrong plays his role...Having them both on the HB line leaves us with a soft underbelly.....No thanks.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Outs. Luke Nolen
    Ins. not sure maybe Higgins or Piggot.

Hang on have I got the right forum here?

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    You proclaim yourself a horse racing expert (as well as a football one) when clearly you have no idea, it was a poor ride by Nolen and given that he put his hand up and admitted it I wouldn't have thought that there was any argument to the contrary, but you obviously know better than the man himself you moo
    Sorry buddy but I agree with Big Cat on the horse issue. Flog a horse when there was something obviously wrong. It's a bloodsport as you never see the 40,00o odd horses each year that end up in your pet shop because they weren't going to make money. Not to mention the horses that die on the track.

Thomas played Koschitzke with a back problem and you can see where they both ended up. Still don't understand why he is on the media. I'd rather listen to Black Cadivar I mean Caviar.

The reference to 2005 for poor old Lurch is well and truly over done now. His decision making in the forward line isn't the best but tall men don't get any shorter as the game progresses and everyone gets tired. Jesse is not doing enough to push him out. Tommy is still in his infancy. So best man in at the moment.

I'm still wondering how ol Blacky worked out to stick out his nose on the line.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast