Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round 15: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Interview at the ground with Moore, indicated that it woulkd probably be his last year and he will go into a coaching role. I'm presuming with the Swans.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Veterans List
    I'm always intrigued about the Best Players on the official list. They often seem to differ considerably fom the ressie watchers.

Do you think there is a method in the official list indicating who they want to pump up or who they want to keep the lid on?

I think we up in the stands see certain aspects of the game but the coaches are seeing what the ressie players are doing in respect to the game plan, team work, whether they follow instructions, what the gps thingy is telling them re work rate, etc. We only see the theatre, but its what goes on behind the scenes that puts the show on the road. They probably wouldn't pump up the tyres of someone who looked flash but didn't follow instructions, etc.

I think they put the lid on someone who may have had a good/great game, and is over pleased with themselves.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Who played in 53? I like him. Big unit ready to go; solid build and moves very well.
    #53 I believe was Plug, who got in the bests list and I'm pretty sure kicked a goal although the only toppie listed as a goalkicker was Krochmal who was wearing #50

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I'm always intrigued about the Best Players on the official list. They often seem to differ considerably fom the ressie watchers.

Do you think there is a method in the official list indicating who they want to pump up or who they want to keep the lid on?
    No doubt that there is a smidgen of politicking involved, but on the whole I think it's a reflection on how well each player went in relation to his assigned role coming into the game. In one of Mitchell's early games he had 40 odd touches in 3 quarters of football but wasn't named (and hasn't been named in any of his games yet) in the bests list.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    #53 I believe was Plug, who got in the bests list and I'm pretty sure kicked a goal although the only toppie listed as a goalkicker was Krochmal who was wearing #50

No doubt that there is a smidgen of politicking involved, but on the whole I think it's a reflection on how well each player went in relation to his assigned role coming into the game. In one of Mitchell's early games he had 40 odd touches in 3 quarters of football but wasn't named (and hasn't been named in any of his games yet) in the bests list.
    If the best list is indeed supplied by the coaching staff then they do sometimes get it wrong evidentially. But I doubt that Best Lists are a thing the coaching staff would be interested in supplying. They would be more interested in how the team co-ordinated as a unit and how each member of the unit played their role. I wouldn't have thought Jared Crouch would have the time to contemplate drawing up a 'Best List' and I would have thought it not a job the coach would want to do as he is more interested in team effort.

The only reason the Two's lost to Brisbane is that we had a lot more Toppies than them. There were some good things that came out of the game though. The Bloods Spirit is alive and well and even the Toppies were fighting back when we got a git behind. We just lacked that little bit of top grade preparation that the Brisbane boys had. That is due to the amount of Toppies playing not being used to the rigours of AFL training and playing styles.

I think the boys we have drafted both listed and rookie are coming along well. But we had a few missing against Brisbane who have been very good for us. Biggs, Morton & Nipper have been good all year and didn't play. Lockyer has shown a bit when he played but hasn't been on the park much. Lamb only played a half and looked better than he has for months. I think he was carrying an injury for a while. Seabs only played a half. Mitchell did play a whole game which is nice to see. Walsh is starting to show a bit!!!

wolftone the best list is supplied by the coaching staff. I'm not sure why you think Crouch and his assistants wouldn't have time to cogitate about the game and who the best players were, in relation to the jobs that they were assigned.

Not often we get to see "bad" highlights, these are from the Lions' POV

http://www.lions.com.au/video%20%20a...2/default.aspx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123