Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McVeigh's new contract

Happy and I know it

McVeigh's new contract

From the Swans on Twitter:
    @sydneyswans co-captain Jarrad McVeigh has signed a new three-year contract with the club - http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/n...4/default.aspx
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Without wanting to sound too cynical.....
    I noticed last week, in the 2nd half against the Giants, he went harder at the ball, and the contest, than I had ever seen him do before.
    I was looking at great leadership from McVeigh, to lift his team from the doldrums they were in.
    Little did I know he was in the midst of negotiations, which in his eyes were dragging on a bit too long.
    Maybe he was also sending a message to Ireland and co.
    Either way, it was great to see, and hope to see more of it against the quality, big bodied, oppositions we have coming up.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I noticed last week, in the 2nd half against the Giants, he went harder at the ball, and the contest, than I had ever seen him do before.
    I was looking at great leadership from McVeigh, to lift his team from the doldrums they were in.
    Little did I know he was in the midst of negotiations, which in his eyes were dragging on a bit too long.
    Either way, it was great to see, and hope to see more of it against the quality, big bodied, oppositions we have coming up.
    Do you have that low an opinion of him? There is no chance in hell that in the midst of the halftime spray they reportedly received from Horse, McVeigh drifted into thinking about his contract and thought - Oh, OK, why not, I'll give them a good half of footy to seal the deal. Ridiculous.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Well done macca!

Don't see it personally. If negotiations were dragging out we would have heard a whisper. Also, a mid-year announcement in your final year of contract suggests it was business as usual. Certainly not as unseemly as ROK's negotiations or the appalling approach adopted by the Clokes. Nah, I think Macca has had a lot on his mind but as far as his game is concerned he remains a solid, reliable, sometimes brilliant footballer. As a co-captain you also have to have the respect and commitment of the team that voted you into the leadership group in the first place. Gaining a three-year contract at 30 years of age is also a recognition by the club that you have the grits to continue at the highest levels of AFL. For mine, its a good outcome and I wish him great success to come.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Don't see it personally. If negotiations were dragging out we would have heard a whisper. Also, a mid-year announcement in your final year of contract suggests it was business as usual. Certainly not as unseemly as ROK's negotiations or the appalling approach adopted by the Clokes. Nah, I think Macca has had a lot on his mind but as far as his game is concerned he remains a solid, reliable, sometimes brilliant footballer. As a co-captain you also have to have the respect and commitment of the team that voted you into the leadership group in the first place. Gaining a three-year contract at 27 years of age is also a recognition by the club that you have the grits to continue at the highest levels of AFL. For mine, its a good outcome and I wish him great success to come.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Don't see it personally. If negotiations were dragging out we would have heard a whisper. Also, a mid-year announcement in your final year of contract suggests it was business as usual. Certainly not as unseemly as ROK's negotiations or the appalling approach adopted by the Clokes.
    I may regret asking this, but what was unseemly about negotiations over ROK? I seem to recall it as being handled quite reasonably with both he and Swans willing to compromise. He wanted to go, Swans tried to find him a new home at the right price but no-one was willing to pay what he was worth so he re-signed quite a long term contract I believe (4 years). It wasn't like a Luke Ball situation.

He's only 27.
    I'm not a fan by any stretch of the imagination but he has been very good the past few weeks and showing leadership qualities that I didn't think he possessed. Good for him and good for the club.

Opti-pessi-misti
    It seems that he has always been a good, solid player but hasn't quite lived up to the expectation that comes with a fairly high draft pick, he hovers on the edge but we rarely see him 'setting the world on fire'. They say that a player is in his prime around 25, 26, 27 or in Teddy's case 28,29!! Well J. 's year last year was great in that he just hung in there, and I think it is possible that finding his feet in the captaincy role especially on the field may have distracted from him concentrating on his own game just a little. All of which is a round about way of saying maybe we are about to see the very best of J. McVeigh, hopefully during the rest of this year and over the next two.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Well J. 's year last year was great in that he just hung in there, and I think it is possible that finding his feet in the captaincy role especially on the field may have distracted from him concentrating on his own game just a little. All of which is a round about way of saying maybe we are about to see the very best of J. McVeigh, hopefully during the rest of this year and over the next two.
    Not just football was on his mind in the past year and rightly so.

Glad to see him staying with the club, hope he manages to get at least one flag before he retires. As the SMH article said, GWS would have just pounced at the opportunity of grabbing him if he became available.

Veterans List
    He is a captain of the club and you dont get that accolade if you are just an average footballer. In the eyes of the club he clearly has the leadership attributes they want. By the way he has played primarily as a run with/shut down player in the past 2 seasons and has done a pretty good job on good players, be they midfield or dangerous forwards. So he carries out the task he is asked to do almost every week. Against Geelong when the game was on the line he rose to the occasion and played a top last quarter. Last week he lifted his rate after half time to be close to BOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He is a captain of the club and you dont get that accolade if you are just an average footballer. In the eyes of the club he clearly has the leadership attributes they want. By the way he has played primarily as a run with/shut down player in the past 2 seasons and has done a pretty good job on good players, be they midfield or dangerous forwards. So he carries out the task he is asked to do almost every week. Against Geelong when the game was on the line he rose to the occasion and played a top last quarter. Last week he lifted his rate after half time to be close to BOG.
    Spot on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast