Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft Picks

They really should introduce some kind of draft lottery. This talk of tanking every year is such a blight on the game.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Gee, that's an early call on Mummy. I'm sure he will pleased to hear of his impending retirement.
    Yes I agree that was a bit early. But Swanspant is on the right track but just wrong ruckman. We need to get a junior now and develop him as second to Mummy. Pykie and Seaby are both 29 so they don't have that much footy left, probably 2 to 3 years. Best to get a rookie ruckman now and develop him. The thing is we could draft an academy player and because we get first choice we can draft him with our first draft choice without any other side being able to touch him. Young Naismith falls into that category.

Goes up to 11
    Naismith would probably be a good idea but I wouldn't give up our first pick. I'm not aware of any other interest being shown in him from elsewhere or if there's any hype around him, but he would be a good pick up later in the draft.

Would we have to give up any players to Collingwood for Reid? He'd be worth a couple of draft picks but as always I wouldn't be too keen on them getting any of our players, except for maybe Jesse or Seaby if they want either of them...

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Yes I agree that was a bit early. But Swanspant is on the right track but just wrong ruckman. We need to get a junior now and develop him as second to Mummy. Pykie and Seaby are both 29 so they don't have that much footy left, probably 2 to 3 years. Best to get a rookie ruckman now and develop him. The thing is we could draft an academy player and because we get first choice we can draft him with our first draft choice without any other side being able to touch him. Young Naismith falls into that category.
    Exactly right wolftone. By no means do I think mummy is close to retiring but we must draft a ruckman and develop him alongside mummy cow of Pyke and seabys age. That was what I meant as you said. If Ben Reid doesn't sign a contract get him down here ASAP horse.

Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    Exactly right wolftone. By no means do I think mummy is close to retiring but we must draft a ruckman and develop him alongside mummy cow of Pyke and seabys age. That was what I meant as you said. If Ben Reid doesn't sign a contract get him down here ASAP horse.
    I think we have to look to the Swans Academy to develop players now that Roos has taken over there. Nick Davis is also coaching there so we could end up with some kids who can really kick. In the three years time we need to have listed and rookie listed at least two junior ruckmen, some tall forwards and a couple of tall backs just to be sure. I think or mid strength is brilliant at the moment and we will not need to bolster this area for at least 5 years.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    Lmao, yep the big mummy is looking into a retirement village as we speak. NFI me thinks
    Not that I agree with the idea of drafting a ruckman, but presumably the thought process is that it takes an 18 y.o ruckman 4 + years to get up to speed in the AFL by which time Mummy will be approaching 30, hence the need to draft one now

So NFI is a harsh and incorrect call

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Not that I agree with the idea of drafting a ruckman, but presumably the thought process is that it takes an 18 y.o ruckman 4 + years to get up to speed in the AFL by which time Mummy will be approaching 30, hence the need to draft one now

Exactly right mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think or mid strength is brilliant at the moment and we will not need to bolster this area for at least 5 years.
    Not sure on what basis one can say that. The only player currently running around in the midfield for our reserves who you'd bet your house on playing senior footy (injuries permitting) is Mitchell. (I've excluded Parker on the basis he is just passing through.) I have reasonably high hopes for Cunningham but there's not much more after that who are true midfielders and who are more likely to be on the list next year than not. Bolton and ROK will possibly retire during the next couple of years. Others will get injured or lose form. I reckon our midfield is where we currently have the least developing depth on the list, particularly given that you need 12-14 players in the senior team capable of rotating through there.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post

Nope, nope, nope.

Drafting a potential ruckman is fraught with danger. For every 6 developing ruckmen on a club's list, only one will probably ever make it. To waste a pick on a tall, gangly kid who may or may not make it is a waste - unless the kid is a top 10 who is ready to play now (ie, Kruezer, Fraser, GC and GWS ruckmen). Just look at the trail of wasted picks and shattered dreams we have made with these kids over the years.

Instead, we need to get smart and get the best player available and simply let another club put 4 years of work into developing a ruckman - this is what we did with Jolly and Mummy. By that time we know which kids will make it in the ruck and which ones wont and we also have a good player that we could possibly trade for them as we wave a lot of money in their face. It has been a highly successful method for us so far and we shouldnt be changing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not sure on what basis one can say that. The only player currently running around in the midfield for our reserves who you'd bet your house on playing senior footy (injuries permitting) is Mitchell. (I've excluded Parker on the basis he is just passing through.) I have reasonably high hopes for Cunningham but there's not much more after that who are true midfielders and who are more likely to be on the list next year than not. Bolton and ROK will possibly retire during the next couple of years. Others will get injured or lose form. I reckon our midfield is where we currently have the least developing depth on the list, particularly given that you need 12-14 players in the senior team capable of rotating through there.
    What about Biggs, Lamb, Merredith, Morton and Nipper? I'd bet at least 2 of this lot will play at senior level on a regular basis. I'm sure we'll draft a few mids this year and next and perhaps get a few from the Academy program. The way I look at it is that we have a number of reserves players that would be vary capable of getting a game at many clubs in every position except KPF. I don't want to get into the never ending LRT debate, because I think he's doing okay, but let's face it, he's not the long term answer to a second tall forward. Unfortunately, this draft doesn't look like one that's big on KPFs, so hopefully we can find a roughy that's not on other teams' radars.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Nope, nope, nope.

Drafting a potential ruckman is fraught with danger. For every 6 developing ruckmen on a club's list, only one will probably ever make it. To waste a pick on a tall, gangly kid who may or may not make it is a waste - unless the kid is a top 10 who is ready to play now (ie, Kruezer, Fraser, GC and GWS ruckmen). Just look at the trail of wasted picks and shattered dreams we have made with these kids over the years.

Instead, we need to get smart and get the best player available and simply let another club put 4 years of work into developing a ruckman - this is what we did with Jolly and Mummy. By that time we know which kids will make it in the ruck and which ones wont and we also have a good player that we could possibly trade for them as we wave a lot of money in their face. It has been a highly successful method for us so far and we shouldnt be changing it now.
    I don't see too many ruckmen at other clubs looking for an opportunity at another club that I would throw too much at. Perhaps Bellchambers at Essendon might be a chance, as they're well stocked and will pick up Daniher. Other than that, maybe Lycett at WCE may seek chances elsewhere although he's young. The others I could think of that might move from where they currently are don't really get me too excited - Griffin or Clarke at Freo, Graham or Browne at Richmond, Daw, Jenkins, Spencer, maybe a Collingwood or Geelong youngster. Not much there in that mob - maybe Seabs will be staying put for another year after all....

Oh and that Naismith kid is 208cm - you know what they say, you can't teach tall.....

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What about Biggs, Lamb, Merredith, Morton and Nipper? I'd bet at least 2 of this lot will play at senior level on a regular basis. I'm sure we'll draft a few mids this year and next and perhaps get a few from the Academy program. The way I look at it is that we have a number of reserves players that would be vary capable of getting a game at many clubs in every position except KPF. I don't want to get into the never ending LRT debate, because I think he's doing okay, but let's face it, he's not the long term answer to a second tall forward. Unfortunately, this draft doesn't look like one that's big on KPFs, so hopefully we can find a roughy that's not on other teams' radars.
    Lamb will get another year on the list (I am almost certain) but has yet to demonstrate more than fleeting glimpse of senior potential. Morton's showed nothing this year other than as a forward. If he gets a game it will be because the coaches decide his goal kicking prowess outweigh a lack of chase and tackle. Gordon plays in the midfield in the reserves, but if it plays more senior games, I suspect it will be as a forward. Meredith will be fortunate to get another year on the list. He's not a dud, but he's had lots of injuries and doesn't look close to getting a senior game in what is now his 5th year on the list. Biggs I am not convinced by yet but it is early days for him. He may well get another year but is far from a sure thing. (Nor is Cunningham for that matter - he just looks to have more "senior AFL" about him to me than Biggs does.)

Even if a couple of these players do progress to senior level, at this stage they look like pretty marginal players and none of them looks like a pure onballer.

We might well pick up a couple from the Academy this year. But NSW was absolutely smashed in the U18s this year and it doesn't sound like any of our "possibles" screamed out "pick me". Robinson did get a few mentions as decent but Wray and Jack sound like they were quite subdued from the reports I read. Again, at this stage, they need to be considered as marginal long term senior players, not the next Hannerbery or Parker, who were capable of making an impact at senior level almost as soon as they arrived.

We have as many tallish players developing in the reserves who might make it as senior players - Walsh, Heath, Brown (very early days), Lockyer (very early days and still injured), Lynch. I am not arguing they are more to become long term senior options than the smaller reserves players but I don't think they are less likely either (other than compared to Mitchell). And there are more opportunities for (and requirements for) smaller and medium sized players than for talls.
    Last edited by liz; 10th July 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast