Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft Picks

Draft Picks

Just wondering if we finish in the top four what are the most likely picks we will get? Also, we should definetly be targeting a tall forward or another outside running mid, or young ruckman to replace mummy when he finishes up.

Based on our recent efforts with draft picks - apart from 2009 - more than happy to trade picks for the right players that have developed already - unless you ar epicking inthe bottom six it is definately a lottery with the compromised draft picks from the new teams - trade away I say

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    This year there will be a much longer exchange period because of the new rules coming for unrestricted players. So anyones guess what will happen.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    Just wondering if we finish in the top four what are the most likely picks we will get? Also, we should definetly be targeting a tall forward or another outside running mid, or young ruckman to replace mummy when he finishes up.
    Gee, that's an early call on Mummy. I'm sure he will pleased to hear of his impending retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Gee, that's an early call on Mummy. I'm sure he will pleased to hear of his impending retirement.
    Lmao, yep the big mummy is looking into a retirement village as we speak. NFI me thinks

We will target defenders IMHO, Ted, mattner, shaw, are all 'ageing' not an easy bunch to replace. Mattner has been a fantastic player. His efforts to be third man and reading the play will be hard to replace. Likewise shaw and his organizing skills, he took kennely role in that regard. AJ is stepping up in that role but we need new blood

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Obvious solution is to go for Reid.

I agree defenders will be a premium choice.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Goes up to 11
    Our first selection should be the best key forward available....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Obvious solution is to go for Reid.

I agree defenders will be a premium choice.
    Mike Sheahan OTC reckons there is a big Cloke pow,pow going on at Pies headquarters right now. Don't know that they are smoking the peace pipe though. The Reid question might very well hang on this talk fest.

Veterans List
    Here folks is the good oil on this years ND.

GWS, WB, Bris, Rich, and Melb x 2 have activated compensation picks that come into play at various stages of the draft.

I think you'll now see tanking from WB and Melb to ensure they don't go higher up the ladder. Melbourne particularly don't want to go above Port who would bid for Jay Viney forcing Melbourne to either use pick 5 or lose him. Viney is considered top ten but could fall to Melb with pick 26 if they stay below Port.

There are 23 picks in the first round probably something like this

1 & 2 GWS
    3 Gold Coast
    4 & 5 Melb plus pick 14 (5 & 14 are the Scully compo picks)
    6 Port
    7 & 8 WB
    9 Bris
    down to the Premiers at pick 22
    23 Brisbane

Then round two starts

So if we finish say 4th, we'll have picks 19, 39, 57, 75. Add or subtract from those numbers depending on our final finishing position. I'd be ecstatic if we had pick 22 :-)

Warming the Bench
    If i was Kinnear i would serious consider possibly giving up our first round draft pick if possible to secure B. Reid this years crop does not look as promising as years before. The top talent looks exceptional Grundy, Hrovat and whitfield to name a few but they will all get picked up very early and the rest will go to father-son selections i.e Daniher and Viney. We need good defenders to supplement our aging back line as good as it is. If cloke signs with collingwood i cant see them being able to offer B. Reid the sort of money and length that a player of his caliber should be receiving.

If Adelaide sign Tippett, they'll have a real excess of key position players. Why can't Andy Otten get a game? He may be a player to target. Also Lewis Johnston doesn't seem to be getting any games as well. And Tom Lynch is a very promising player that gets a rare sub call now and then. There should be one KPP down there that's looking for a better opportunity. But I doubt it will be a defender when LRT can't even break into the backline these days.

I though we drafted 2 very good defender prospects last year in Lockyer and Brown. This year I think we need to target a forward, although I don't think we are as desperate as some make out. Sam Reid IS our go to man up forward. We just need one additional forward to help out. We do have some prospects in Walsh, Spangher and even Everett and White, but none look like definite winners at this point. Maybe Goodes will have play on, and on and on.

If Ben Reid comes available, I think we should try to get him. Can play both forward and back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast