Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 17 v The Saints.

Regular in the Side
    Could you tune the crystal ball for Sunday's result? The euphoria is being to dissipate and I'm getting a little anxious about this game.

Doc Larkins reckons LRT will have a rest, he actually had some swelling of the brain, and LRT has a big brain to start with.
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    Doc Larkins reckons LRT will have a rest, he actually had some swelling of the brain, and LRT has a big brain to start with.
    That figures, as he seemed to get hit right on the top of the bonce, and it almost looked like he had a whiplash action.

Hopefully LRT gets a rest - not for form but that looked pretty nasty.

Spangher's injured isn't he, and even if not, hasn't played even ressies for a few weeks so no chance.

If LRT's not playing, I'd say Everitt to start and TDL to sub.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    Has he ever had a brain scan to check that out ?
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Assuming LRT does play then I'd think parker should come in for Bird. I'm not saying Bird has been poor by any means its just that Parker is harder, tougher and a great decision maker. He's just a better player. Everitt is a different type of player which can offer something up forward on occasions and is probably quite well suited as a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsman View Post
    Assuming LRT does play then I'd think parker should come in for Bird. I'm not saying Bird has been poor by any means its just that Parker is harder, tougher and a great decision maker. He's just a better player. Everitt is a different type of player which can offer something up forward on occasions and is probably quite well suited as a sub.
    Bird was one of our best against WC. His shut-down job on Hurn was magnificent. He has a defensive game that Parker simply does not have yet. Parker is also far less consistent, so even though his best is better than Bird's, Bird is a more reliable player. Bird is also a fantastic decision maker, one of the best in the team. His disposal occasionally lets him down (been much better this year though), but he's incredibly smart and creative with ball in hand.

Parker also hasn't played this week, so he's a little short of match time. If LRT stays in, I'd say Parker will get another week in the reserves.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsman View Post
    Bird is a role player though. We've come a way since 2005/6 when 2/3 of our midfielders were generally tagging. Most of our mids currently focus primarily on winning the ball, even if at times a variety of them do play quite defensively on an opponent (eg ROK's focus on Priddis at the weekend in the first half, before he became a rampant ball winner in the second, McGlynn's late season job in 2011 on Selwood). Bird is the one player still primarily given a defensive role on either a midfielder or a rebounding defender. I thought his form had been down a little over the past couple of weeks but he was great yesterday on Hurn.

Although it is nice to see the balance change, don't underestimate the importance of being able to lock down on at least one dangerous opponent, particularly one whose use of the ball is integral to the opposition team. Hence it was Rich who Bird was assigned to tag against the Lions (with mixed results - better in the second half) and Hurn against the Weagles. Expect Dal Santo to be the one targeted this weekend.

Much as I'd love to see Parker in the team, he's shown nothing yet to suggest he'd do the Bird role as well as Bird does it. So leave Bird to do it. It has been a very important part of the team's success this season.

For Parker to come into the side, one of the taller players needs to make way (either Everitt, or Longmire to decide that one of Pyke or LRT is superfluous from a structural point of view) or we get an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Bird was one of our best against WC. His shut-down job on Hurn was magnificent. He has a defensive game that Parker simply does not have yet. Parker is also far less consistent, so even though his best is better than Bird's, Bird is a more reliable player. Bird is also a fantastic decision maker, one of the best in the team. His disposal occasionally lets him down (been much better this year though), but he's incredibly smart and creative with ball in hand.

Parker also hasn't played this week, so he's a little short of match time. If LRT stays in, I'd say Parker will get another week in the reserves.
    Spot on, bird was very very good against the eagles. I wonder if I watch different games sometimes.

Agree Bird is In our best 22 without question. However, if and when Parker is fit, he is also in our best 22. Surely people haven't forgotten his form before his injury. Everitt has been playing reasonable footy, but I don't think he can impact a game for 4 quarters like Parker can. Not on what he's shown so far. Parker can crash in like a bull for four quarters, tackle, win clearances, rack up possessions and kick goals. He has to be In the side when he's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Agree Bird is In our best 22 without question. However, if and when Parker is fit, he is also in our best 22. Surely people haven't forgotten his form before his injury. Everitt has been playing reasonable footy, but I don't think he can impact a game for 4 quarters like Parker can. Not on what he's shown so far. Parker can crash in like a bull for four quarters, tackle, win clearances, rack up possessions and kick goals. He has to be In the side when he's ready.
    He is in our best 22 when fit, don't think he is yet, sub at best. Hardly a straight swop for Everett though, would leave us undersized in matchup forward.

That's what my post says, when he's fit. He's not a straight swap for Everitt in terms of size ad how they play, but Everitt didn't come into the side replacing a tall that went out, and doesn't often play as a traditional tall does. He's more of a running flanker, midfielder. He doesn't use his height much , so I don't think we'd be undersized without him. We still have LRT, Mummy, Pyke, Goodes, Reid, Ted, Grundy even AJ so I don't think size is an issue for us. Parker is a better player, and if he is fit, Everitt is the only player I can see being expendable.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast