Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 17 v The Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkari View Post
    Hopefully LRT gets a rest - not for form but that looked pretty nasty.

Spangher's injured isn't he, and even if not, hasn't played even ressies for a few weeks so no chance.

If LRT's not playing, I'd say Everitt to start and TDL to sub.
    Yeah I'd go with this....I'd also go with Everitt to start, Parker sub.....And then of course there's Armstrong.....

I'm happy with any of them coming in...Don't think I've ever thought that before...

With our lack of injuries we really do have some depth to draw on.

Can't see any complacency coming in this week after the hiding they gave us a few weeks back.

I predict we'll give them a spanking.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 16th July 2012 at 11:19 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Assuming we play collingwood in the prelim or grand final who would bird successfully negate. He's not a good match for quite a few of their mids as he's a bit slow. Perhaps he could play on beims. I think with parker, jack, kennedy, bolton, rok etc winning the contests we ensure we get enough ball to kick a winning score. Play to win I say. Without the extra hardnut in the contests we let them get the ball and they generally make you pay. Having said all that I agree that everitt is no certainty to stay.

Whether it's this week or next, we will have to face the selection problem of what to do when Parker is ready to play. I think our best side is with both Parker and Bird playing and Everitt as sub. This leaves the selection dilemma of who goes out. It would seem to come down to either Pyke of LRT.

This leaves us with the standard structure employed by most teams this year with 3 tall forwards, one of which is the 2nd Ruckman. The way Pyke is playing, he seems to offer slightly more than LRT because he can split time more evenly with Mummy than LRT and still offer a very good tap Ruckman. With Reid and Goodes as our key forwards, plus the resting ruckman, another tall seems superfluous. One of our strengths has been the ability to rotate our mids through the forward line. The rotation of the rucks and mids should allow us to spread the midfield load more and help us play a better 4 quarter game, that we have been aiming.

This seems to be our strongest team this year, with TDL as the next in line for a small forward, Armstrong for halfback, and LRT as the next tall, either back of forward.

Being such a good clubman, perhaps LRT knocked himself out to make Longmire's selection job easier.

Hopefully these 25 players, the starting side plus emergencies, will take us through the rest of the season. If so, I think we can go deep into the finals.

We are just in a fortunate position at the moment with few injuries and good depth, with all the regulars and several in the reserves playing well at the moment.

It seems that Longmire wants Parker in, and if he's fit, I think he'll play. I think he wants a bit more midfield grunt considering how we were beaten in the contest when we played the Saints in May.

Someone reliable and hard at it needs to sit on Hayes, Dal Santo maybe an out for them, Goddard back fresh. I think we lost the game in the ruck last time, may be different now
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    Doc Larkins reckons LRT will have a rest, he actually had some swelling of the brain, and LRT has a big brain to start with.
    I don't think that's quite right. He had a dilated pupil, indicative of swelling on the brain, which is why he was taken to hospital for further examination.

Quote Originally Posted by billyboob View Post
    I don't think that's quite right. He had a dilated pupil, indicative of swelling on the brain, which is why he was taken to hospital for further examination.
    Yep I think yr right, that's exactly what he said
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    I hope not, The Ghan runs between Adelaide-Alice Springs-Darwin. Might be a case of Lewis Returning Triumphantly Not So Express.
    Haha! Might be a case of the "BLT out" crew putting him on the wrong train to be back for Sunday?
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Last time we played the Saints, some RWOers were concerend we were going in too tall (especially down back) and we'd have trouble keeping up with the Saints mosquito fleet at Etihad.
    That ended up being one of the reasons we lost. If there are no changes to the team this week we will if anything be slightly more top heavy than that.
    Is this a worry?
    Maybe, but some things will be different:
    1) The Swans media machine is talking up Parker, which suggests that LRT's brain may still be rattling and he will be replaced by Parker (which would increase our legspeed a bit).
    2) Last time Pike got ambushed by Blake, l cant see Mummy falling for that nonsense.
    3) It's at the SCG
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

They have Mcevoy back now though. He is a very good ruckman. Also Fischer is back, I don't think he played when they beat us. It will be a tough game.

I often wonder why we stay with such a tall forward line besides the obvious: it is working so why change it? And today I remembered a comment by Roos that may be telling of the thinking.

I don?t remember which game, but a while ago Roos said that the coaching panel consider LRT to be quite good below his knees. Add to that Goodes? skills at roving (that is, when he bothers to pick the ball up) and we might have a forward line that plays ?smaller? than its height would suggest.

The only problem with this theory, I think, is that it in practice our forward lines works well when we are taking contested marks and is rather lame when we are not (when we start to rely on midfield goals). So I don?t know, but it might be what the coaches are thinking.

Nevertheless, on LRT staying in the team, I thought he was on fire before he was subbed off in the last game. He was really looking comfortable and I thought, along with the Brisbane game, it was a really good sign that our forward line starting to gel. And while Parker, when fit, is in the best 22 (and, on the form he was in, probably top 10) I don't want to mess with the forward line that is starting to work.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Same extended squad as last week. i.e. no Parker

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Same extended squad as last week. i.e. no Parker
    Guess they would prefer him to play a full game with the reserves rather than languish on the pine for 3/4s in the fluoro vest.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast