Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack's 'breakout' game

Veteran Site Admin

Jack's 'breakout' game

The return over recent weeks of Jack to his late 2010 form - and especially the number of stunning goals he's kicked - has had me searching my memory bank for details of the game I thought at the time signalled Jack might become something more than just a handy run-with player. It was a game in which he kicked three goals, and after the last, the camera panned to Jack Snr in the crowd, holding up three fingers.

I have a feeling it was a final, and that it was against North, which suggests it was probably that wet and soggy EF in 2008 where we ran over the top of North in the second half. But in my memory, Jack's goals weren't kicked in a wet game.

Can anyone confirm if it was that game. Or am I getting games confused (again)?

It may not have been his break out game, but his game against the Lions in the final round of 2010 is the one that stands out for me. He kicked that amazing goal on the boundary after tucking the ball under his arm, palming the ball Brennan style.

I remember that a number of media commentators down here in Melbourne labelled him the in form midfielder in the comp coming into the first final against Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The return over recent weeks of Jack to his late 2010 form - and especially the number of stunning goals he's kicked - has had me searching my memory bank for details of the game I thought at the time signalled Jack might become something more than just a handy run-with player. It was a game in which he kicked three goals, and after the last, the camera panned to Jack Snr in the crowd, holding up three fingers.

I have a feeling it was a final, and that it was against North, which suggests it was probably that wet and soggy EF in 2008 where we ran over the top of North in the second half. But in my memory, Jack's goals weren't kicked in a wet game.

Can anyone confirm if it was that game. Or am I getting games confused (again)?
    I'm pretty sure that was the game Liz.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was the game Liz.
    I believe it was - if memory serves me it didn't rain all that much during the game, but it had rained leading up to the game, so might explain why you associated it with wet weather

Loved that game, although a very small crowd turned up to see it. Might have been Shannon Grant's last game in Sydney.

Really good call liz. Kizza scored some vital goals yesterday to break open the game, his inside and outside work is so so underrated in the AFL, and his clinch goal against geelong when we really needed it was good. One of the most reliable blokes in our team, love the kizz.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I went to the trusty site AFL Tables to confirm, and you're right AFL Tables - Kieren Jack - Statistics

Then I browsed down to the bottom of the page to look at his output for the current season and was a little stunned by the fact he has kicked at least 2 goals in 7 of the last 8 games. That's Jetta-esque numbers!

Jack is no. 2 goalkicking midfielder in the comp (no prize for guessing no. 1).
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Jack is no. 2 goalkicking midfielder in the comp (no prize for guessing no. 1).
    Ed Barlow?

Jack is the only Sydney player on the leaderboard of the Age Footballer of the year....which considering how Kennedy started the season and Jetta continued it, is pretty damn good!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Actually Jack is EQUAL with Josh P. Kennedy (Sydney) with 17 goals...and I reckon he counts as a midfielder!! :-)

Here are the other small and mid-sized players in the list

Eddie Betts 28
    Stewart Crameri 27
    Stephen Milne 27
    Josh Hill 25
    Chris Mayne 24
    Cyril Rioli 23
    Alwyn Davey 22
    Lindsay Thomas 22
    Luke Bruest 20
    Daniel Gian.. 18
    Brent Harvey 18
    Ben McGlynn 18
    Steven Motlop 17

I reckon they are all playing as forwards though - with the possible exception of Hill and Bruest. I would have thought McGlynn, Mayne and Giansiracusa would all qualify at the very least as half forwards....probably the same for Hill and Bruest...though i don't watch enough non Sydney games to be sure.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Kennedy has 15.3

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Kennedy has 15.3
    According to the Swans website he has 17.4, the 15.3 must have been before Saturday night
    Red and white till I die

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast