Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I hate these games!

I'm ALWAYS anxious...nervous...I sat through soooooomany losses that I just haven't got the hang of being confident about a win. So I';m a love/hate these games type of person.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    30 pts

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    The Swans are in a different head-space since last contest with the Saints.... just just hope the stay there... till the final siren.
    They will....
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

On the veteran's list
    Following the Swans is a paradox. When we are an ordinary team I am more relaxed but ache for the day when we are one of the contenders. Then when we start winning consistently I get so nervous I contemplate seeking a hypnotist to make me care less about the result.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Following the Swans is a paradox. When we are an ordinary team I am more relaxed but ache for the day when we are one of the contenders. Then when we start winning consistently I get so nervous I contemplate seeking a hypnotist to make me care less about the result.
    +1

No way we will lose Ruck this time. Swans by 50

We should have an edge in the ruck I agree, but I wouldn't be underestimating the influence Mcevoy can have on a game. He is a very good player, and his marking around the ground is superb.

Veterans List
    Nope - I love these games. The Swans were back from WA, had a stack of favourable PR and were playing a team well below them. And the Saints really came to play - they are out of the 8 after that loss so it was important to them. And we played bad footy but with enough grit to get the win - then broke the game open. It was like a few years ago when we'd play the Cats and I'd think "we're playing as well as them" and then suddenly we are five goals down - we did a Cats: enough to win against a good, near full strength team. And that's despite Jetta and Goodes being largely irrelevant. How good was Pyke - he was tapping very well and taking contested marks and tackling hard? We should take as much from all that as we did from the slick show in Perth.

And, strangely, despite starting this thread, at the game I was pretty sure we'd win throughout as long as we didn't do anything stupid. For a while in Q1 I thought the umpiring would gift the Saints the game but we played as if we didn't care rather than drop our heads as the Swans have done in the past.

It's like we have several gears - the first gear grunt is definitely Kennedy and Jack. Top gear is Jetta and Goodes in full flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Nope - I love these games. The Swans were back from WA, had a stack of favourable PR and were playing a team well below them. And the Saints really came to play - they are out of the 8 after that loss so it was important to them. And we played bad footy but with enough grit to get the win - then broke the game open. It was like a few years ago when we'd play the Cats and I'd think "we're playing as well as them" and then suddenly we are five goals down - we did a Cats: enough to win against a good, near full strength team. And that's despite Jetta and Goodes being largely irrelevant. How good was Pyke - he was tapping very well and taking contested marks and tackling hard? We should take as much from all that as we did from the slick show in Perth.

And, strangely, despite starting this thread, at the game I was pretty sure we'd win throughout as long as we didn't do anything stupid. For a while in Q1 I thought the umpiring would gift the Saints the game but we played as if we didn't care rather than drop our heads as the Swans have done in the past.

It's like we have several gears - the first gear grunt is definitely Kennedy and Jack. Top gear is Jetta and Goodes in full flight.
    Good summary of yesterday's game GS!

We won without playing well - which is what good sides do. And as I said in another thread last week, when one or two of our players have a down day (Jetta and Goodes yesterday), others stand up, such as Jack and Kennedy.
    I also really like how this team never looks rattled recently. Even when we were really struggling in the first quarter (same as last week), we didn't resort to panic football, but just took little steps to stem the flow, and then get on top in the 2nd quarter. That ability to quell momentum, stop the bleeding and then find a way to get back into the game and finally take the momentum in the game was a great skill of the 05-06 vintage Swans - and it is critical to challenging for the Premiership.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123