Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: St Kilda match day thread

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Otherwise Sam Reid or Teddy Richards (with AJ taking a key back position) could also have performed the same role
    AJ V Kosi in the square with St Kilda bombarding the goals. Hmmm can't see a problem there really!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Great effort against a full strength team that arent all that bad.

We didnt look as clean as last week but funnily enough I felt at the ground that we were always on top after the first quarter burst. Even though Saints stayed in touch (mostly due to our bad kicking early) we always had an extra gear . The tv coverage seemed much more focused on how unlucky the saints were but at the game i thought that after quarter time they were lucky to actualy be so close as to threaten. They may have had a lot of inside fities but they were useless inside fifties and having loose players along half back may have allowed them to get it in but it didnt help them score.

Our last few minutes was reminiscent of when we used to play Geelong a few years back when they were at their best and we would stay in touch and then all of a sudden we were down by thirty points. Wonderful effort after a tough week with the road trip. Considering that arguably our best player is not back in form yet we still have upside and we are still on top. Go swans
    If you read and listen to the media today, you'd think St Kilda dominated all the game and we were lucky to win, let alone by 30. But after quarter time, with the exception of the start of the 4th, I thought we were comfortably on top, and had the boys bought the kicking boots along, it would have been a very comfortable margin.

Your Geelong comment at the end is what I thought too. When the game was there to be won, we found an extra gear and blew them away. The other thing I loved from that was the stoppage goal from Jack. I said to Mum next to me, we need to get a goal from this stoppage and we will win. And like clockwork, up popped Kieran Jack (on that note, he is going to be so important to us come finals time!) to kick that great snap. That was a great ability of the 05-06 team, and if we can continue to get more than our fair share of goals from stoppages over the rest of the year, then we will go deep into September.

Not as impressive as Hawthorn on Saturday but I think we have everyone else covered.

I'd back us at our best against the Hawks too but we will have to be a bit tighter in our marking when that game comes around. They are just so efficient in creating uncontested marks.

That was a pretty good effort by our boys to beat a desperate Saints after coming back from Perth.

I would never want his personality in our team but that sniper Milne is a good small forward. If he didn't go missing (i.e. get tagged out by Smiffy) in the middle two quarters it could have been a different result.

I guess it shows what value TDL could bring to our line-up (but who do we leave out?).

On the Rookie List
    The sub situation emerges again as Everitt will need a game under his belt soon. I actually thought he had a wonderful opportunity to seal the match for a second time in 3 weeks as he was way too tall for his opponent but he dropped a very gettable mark pretty much in front of goal and certainly within his range.Thats why he needs a full game; to keep his skills up to scratch. Why not give TDL a run next week in the A's and Everitt in the B's?

If you call 2 posessions and 3 hitouts after half time stepping up. I'm pretty confident that our super sub Everitt could have had a similar impact, after all he is in the team for his versatility.

Otherwise Sam Reid or Teddy Richards (with AJ taking a key back position) could also have performed the same role
    You're kidding?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    If you read and listen to the media today, you'd think St Kilda dominated all the game and we were lucky to win, let alone by 30. But after quarter time, with the exception of the start of the 4th, I thought we were comfortably on top, and had the boys bought the kicking boots along, it would have been a very comfortable margin.

Your Geelong comment at the end is what I thought too. When the game was there to be won, we found an extra gear and blew them away. The other thing I loved from that was the stoppage goal from Jack. I said to Mum next to me, we need to get a goal from this stoppage and we will win. And like clockwork, up popped Kieran Jack (on that note, he is going to be so important to us come finals time!) to kick that great snap. That was a great ability of the 05-06 team, and if we can continue to get more than our fair share of goals from stoppages over the rest of the year, then we will go deep into September.
    I find the spin that opposition coaches have put on losses to us quite interesting.

Brad Scott seemed confused in his presser after our game against the Roos, claiming that they had "won" most of their key performance indicators yet were never really in the game. (Lately I've heard him refer to the game as one they could have won if not for inaccurate kicking for goal.)

Chris Scott claimed his team dominated three quarters and hence were unlucky not to win. (Strange that, because in the game I watched, the middle two quarters were arm wrestles, with both teams struggling to score.)

And now Watters also reckons they dominated for three quarters and it was only their poor conversion that cost them the game. Conveniently ignoring the fact that if the Swans had converted their chances in the first half, the game would have been over by the main break. Even the Saints first quarter "domination" was really only on the scoreboard. We had more scoring shots than them, and they weren't just scrappy rushed behinds - there were some genuinely easy scoring opportunities missed. Even in the final quarter, it felt like it was the Swans' poor disposal and decision making that mostly contributed towards the number of I50s that the Saints had. We were still pretty solid winning the contested ball.

James Hird's excuse - that Sydney didn't play like Sydney - is probably my favourite spin.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I find the spin that opposition coaches have put on losses to us quite interesting.

.................................................. .......
    And now Watters also reckons they dominated for three quarters and it was only their poor conversion that cost them the game. Conveniently ignoring the fact that if the Swans had converted their chances in the first half, the game would have been over by the main break. .
    Spot on !

Opposition coaches ( and the media ) can spin it all they like : it helps when the focus is off us. May that continue - right up to the siren , around 5 o'clock on 29th September.

They're just looking after their jobs, like the pollies they reckon we'll believe anything.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    They're just looking after their jobs, like the pollies they reckon we'll believe anything.
    I think that is called a "Sheedyism"
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    You're kidding?
    You don't believe that Everitt could have mustered up 3 hitouts and 2 possessions in the ruck in a half of football??

You don't believe that Everitt could have mustered up 3 hitouts and 2 possessions in the ruck in a half of football??
    Sometimes in life, it is best to either admit your wrong, or at the very least move on. Constantly arguing a point ad nauseam with a failure to recognize and admit a mistake is somewhat tedious. You end up making yourself look very silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    Spot on !

Opposition coaches ( and the media ) can spin it all they like : it helps when the focus is off us. May that continue - right up to the siren , around 5 o'clock on 29th September.
    It is almost like opposition coaches are like the media - consistently under rating our team, and hence have to come up with silly excuses when we beat them.

But I completely agree with your last sentence SS - they can keep it up all they want! However, I expect the key coaches in the competition, especially Clarkson (who has seen what a red hot Swans performance can do to his team) are not quite as silly as some of the other coaches out there. We will have to find several more gears come the finals to be genuine contenders, but with each passing week my confidence grows just a bit more that we will stand up to be counted when it matters.

# Believe - Bloods 2012!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast