Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: St Kilda match day thread

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    You don't believe that Everitt could have mustered up 3 hitouts and 2 possessions in the ruck in a half of football??
    He only managed two disposals without the responsibility of the ruck, so probably not, no.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    They're just looking after their jobs, like the pollies they reckon we'll believe anything.
    Pretty much sums up the Melbourne AFL media and some of the rubbish they spout forth. And unfortunately a lot of prople fall for it - like the Saints guy in front of me yesterday bellyaching the 'Goodsey's a dirty player' line....

The good thing about watching our Swans doing so well is that it really does expose those media people who have built a career on saying not much of any real note - when a team from out of town jumps up and surprises everyone, we suddenly see who the smart commentators are who really watch and analyse the game with some degree of intelligence....

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Not as impressive as Hawthorn on Saturday but I think we have everyone else covered.

I'd back us at our best against the Hawks too but we will have to be a bit tighter in our marking when that game comes around. They are just so efficient in creating uncontested marks.

That was a pretty good effort by our boys to beat a desperate Saints after coming back from Perth.

I would never want his personality in our team but that sniper Milne is a good small forward. If he didn't go missing (i.e. get tagged out by Smiffy) in the middle two quarters it could have been a different result.

I guess it shows what value TDL could bring to our line-up (but who do we leave out?).
    Love or hate Milney, he is pretty much universally accepted, as if not 'the' best small forward, certainly in the top half dozen ever to have played. TDL has done nothing to suggest he is anywhere close to as good as Milne.

I find the obsession with 'any' small forward confounding. Especially in a team that is consistently winning and kicking good scores.

Saints whinging about not taking their chances or they would have won. Just like the 3 grand finals they lost where they didn't take their chances.

Here's Watters presser if anyones interested....http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsar...1/default.aspx

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    Love or hate Milney, he is pretty much universally accepted, as if not 'the' best small forward, certainly in the top half dozen ever to have played. TDL has done nothing to suggest he is anywhere close to as good as Milne.

I find the obsession with 'any' small forward confounding. Especially in a team that is consistently winning and kicking good scores.
    Well said. Although I'm a fan of TDL, we have a potent midfield who are pretty much all goalkickers which renders a 'small forward' (whatever that is anyway) not so necessary at the moment, although I would categorise Benny McGlynn as a forward, and he is quite small.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Well said. Although I'm a fan of TDL, we have a potent midfield who are pretty much all goalkickers which renders a 'small forward' (whatever that is anyway) not so necessary at the moment, although I would categorise Benny McGlynn as a forward, and he is quite small.
    I also rate TDL, there just is not a Spot for him in our best 22 ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    And Benny spends less time in the midfield than most of the others
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

On the Rookie List
    I'd take TDL over Everitt any day. He's not up to scratch. A great 30 seconds every 3 or 4 weeks is just not enough
    I'm not arrogant, I'm right

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    If you read and listen to the media today, you'd think St Kilda dominated all the game and we were lucky to win, let alone by 30. But after quarter time, with the exception of the start of the 4th, I thought we were comfortably on top, and had the boys bought the kicking boots along, it would have been a very comfortable margin.

Your Geelong comment at the end is what I thought too. When the game was there to be won, we found an extra gear and blew them away. The other thing I loved from that was the stoppage goal from Jack. I said to Mum next to me, we need to get a goal from this stoppage and we will win. And like clockwork, up popped Kieran Jack (on that note, he is going to be so important to us come finals time!) to kick that great snap. That was a great ability of the 05-06 team, and if we can continue to get more than our fair share of goals from stoppages over the rest of the year, then we will go deep into September.
    Fantastic tap from Pyke too!

I think the big Canadian was very good yesterday. He did everything asked of him and in the last half more. I think his tap work was excellent and in the last 5 minutes he was fantastic and time and time again got the taps down to advantage. I hope Mummy is alright! If people wanted an example of why we need two top notch ruckmen yesterday gave the perfect grounding. First half we were absolutely blowing them away in the ruck and in the second half we only won the ruck when Pykie was rucking. Mummy was wonderful until he went off. I love having two great ruckmen. They are the best combo in the comp at the moment, forget cox and NicNat!

For those that went to the game, any reason why there was so much fumbling, good players were fumbling - hope Goodes finds his touch soon !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Swan View Post
    For those that went to the game, any reason why there was so much fumbling, good players were fumbling - hope Goodes finds his touch soon !!!
    No none. So, it looks like my theory of "can they keep winning with the unusual amount of media coverage being added to the pressure of still winning each week" may have grown some legs. They are not seasoned to it like other states, our news people pretty much ignore their existence except when they play a grand final. So I think it was added "great expectation" pressure from within. Not so good at playing above their shoulders at present, until some of the older guard stood up. they can all play very well, but some of the decision making became panicky and perceived pressure played a hand.

It will be interesting to see how things play out at GCS, and then eventually the biggie, can we stand tall against the stipes.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast