Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: St Kilda match day thread

Veterans List
    Me too re Mal - he's certainly doing everything on the defending side of his game with tackles and blocks. Even better, he seems to now realise his limitations so doesn't get caught with the ball or being rushed into a bad decision any more - the things that drove me mad earlier this season. I was watching him on the weekend and remembering what a great player he was for us before his knee issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Yep - plenty of reasons . . .

Sun was in and out all day, along with two (maybe more) showers. Temperature was all over the place too - with sun out felt like ten degrees warmer! Wind was all over the place - was breezy then still, then back again all afternoon. The bomb site at the Paddo end was clearly affecting ALL players kicking to that end and was certainly not limited to the swans players struggling to convert down that end. Our six straight points in the first quarter were matched by the Saints doing the same in the last quarter. We remarked to each other on arriving what a different feel the ground had with the stand pretty much entirely smashed up compared to even a few short weeks ago. There was some big piece of ducting hanging behind the goals that looked like it was ready to drop. It was distracting to us in the O'Reilly concourse, so who knows what effect it had on the players!!!!

I seem to recall that accuracy was a problem at the MCG a few seasons back when the old Northern and Olympic stands had been torn down and looked much like the SCG does at the moment. Maybe there is a 'missing grandstand effect' - taking away the familiar spots that players aim at could be messing with their heads!

Probably was just one of those days and in the final wash up our boys handled it better than theirs. They've been handling pretty much everything (with a few exceptions) better than other teams all year too, as evidenced by games won and ladder position. Milne kept them in it. Kleenex was his usual inaccurate self (probably Kosi's fault for belting him - again) but he should be used to that by now! Umpires had their usual few howlers, but at least we got some of them - the second bite of the cherry to Reg was one of the softest frees in years, but hey, we'll take those if the three blind mice are going to hand them out. Both frees involving Goodes were a joke too - he slipped and got smashed under a bloke but gave away a free (still no-one knows what for) then he copped the cheapest of cheap shots getting belted in the back at the end of the third quarter, but they got a free in the middle before play restarted.

Top win - winning ugly when needed is priceless.
    Funny what you say about the ugliness of the stand (or whats left of it) . I went down onto the ground for kick to kick and it was amazing how distracting that demolition work is at that end. In fact it may get worse once its down as the white of the football stadium next door almost blends in with the posts on the right facing side. Definitely was a factor for players missing at that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Funny what you say about the ugliness of the stand (or whats left of it) . I went down onto the ground for kick to kick and it was amazing how distracting that demolition work is at that end. In fact it may get worse once its down as the white of the football stadium next door almost blends in with the posts on the right facing side. Definitely was a factor for players missing at that end.
    Agree with the fact it was distracting but our kicking didn't improve in the second going to the Randwick end. We kicked 6 points in the first and 7 in the second the only difference being we kicked 4 goals in the second compared to 1 in the first. In fact we kicked 4 goals without a miss in the third to the rubble end and 6.2 in the last to the Randwick end. It is distracting and I'm sure it is not just kicking at goal that is effected. I thought some of the field kicking in the first quarter was woeful. Especially to the lead in the forward line

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I'm with you there, Nico. I've almost become a broken record on it since Nick came back into the seniors, purely because it's just shocked me- at the game on the weekend I was surprised at just how much of a change there's been with how hard he goes at it, he was getting across to spoil/going hard at the ball/trying to burst through guys instead or circling around more on to his boot. Good on him.
    I agree Stel a few weeks in the Two's sometimes does a player wonders it gives them a new passion for the game. You take Teddy in 2010 when he came back he was the best and still is to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Agree with the fact it was distracting but our kicking didn't improve in the second going to the Randwick end. We kicked 6 points in the first and 7 in the second the only difference being we kicked 4 goals in the second compared to 1 in the first. In fact we kicked 4 goals without a miss in the third to the rubble end and 6.2 in the last to the Randwick end. It is distracting and I'm sure it is not just kicking at goal that is effected. I thought some of the field kicking in the first quarter was woeful. Especially to the lead in the forward line
    You are right - kicking in general was pretty poor all day! Maybe the invisible effect of the missing stand (i.e. the new wind dynamic at the ground) was causing the most problems?

Whatever the cause, after the start the Swans had, would've been a brave person to bet that the Saints would finish with more behinds in their final score!

Yah we had the yips in the first quarter, took the captains and leaders to stand up and turn that around. I knew Sam wouldn't get that goal, it was a lot of pressure on him. Was also pretty surprised McGlynn didn't get his through either but oh well.

Just have to mention the fact that we have both Davo and Crouchy running for us at present. And it is such a contrast. Davo is fighting fit and looks b etter than he ever did while playing for the bloods. Crouchy can still move like mad, but.....there is somewhat more of him than during his playing days. Just observing the contrasts, not criticising (I mean, its not like I am ever going to run around the footy ground myself so how dare I, I am just saying......).

Davo surely must be a steading influence for the goal kickers. thoughts?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Goes up to 11
    Crouchy said on the Big Sports Breakfast this morning that he has 2 x calf strains - old man's injury he called it. I guess we should give the guy a bit of slack - he was super-fit when he played and would have worked darn hard on it for a number of years. Hope those Libba scratches have healed up by now too..... I reckon he'd instill a bit of mongrel in the boys when he's out there with them.

And I agree that Davo must have had a good influence on the boys' goalkicking - seems like we've improved this year and I'm sure last week was just a bit of an aberration...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213