Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: St Kilda match day thread

Good teams win the games that have to be won. This is what we did.

Saints fielded a full strength team, and gave it a real crack. We did enough after backing up from Perth to win. All good.

Time now to rest anyone not in top shape against the gold coast, before our tough run home.

Hope and pray Mummy is ok.

Result = excellent

Performance = not so excellent.

But at this time of the year, 4 points is all you need to keep collecting wherever possible, and that is what we did today. Job done, and whilst we are a long way off securing a top 2 spot, we are now very nicely placed to finish top 4, even with a very tough run in.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Hope and pray Mummy is ok.
    Unlike LRT last week, the injury wasn't to his head.

Sang Club song and looked in happy mood.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

I thought our early inability to score kept them in it. When we finally got it together in the last 5 minutes it was sublime!!! Will Lenny go for the fist to the face?

I saw some things I liked and none of them have anything to do with the seniors. I saw some really great ruck work by a junior called Sam Naismith today and two players knew how to play to him, Lukie Parker & Tom Mitchell. WoW I would love this kid at 200cm plus and natural footballer to be drafted as a rookie!!! Both Lukie & Tom were having a ball because of the kid's ruck work!

I wasn't exactly over the moon with the performance of the Seniors today but it was ok given they had to come back from Perth last week! I am a bit worried about a mind set that says FLOOD if things are not going your way. In the end we didn't win by flooding we won by running the ball. So much of the last quarter was spent in their half because we had nobody to kick to if we got the ball because Longmire had them all flooding back!!! BAD OLD TACTIC JONNIE!!! GET RID OF IT!!!! When we spread and ran and had people forward of the ball we won the game!!!!

Honestly I reckon you would pick the eyes out of us winning a grand final Wolfy!!! As I said before it wasn't pretty but we won it comfortably in the end - isn't that all that matters? Geez give the having a go at Longmire a break it is becoming very tiresome. He can't be doing too bad seeing as we are the top of the table.

Heart attack footy at its best.
    Winners.
    Top of the ladder.
    That's the main thing.

Joey's got to be a hot contender for the Brownlow.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

How good were those Italian beers at the Taphouse? Fantastic.

Game was a bit of a blur though.
    -

Great effort against a full strength team that arent all that bad.

We didnt look as clean as last week but funnily enough I felt at the ground that we were always on top after the first quarter burst. Even though Saints stayed in touch (mostly due to our bad kicking early) we always had an extra gear . The tv coverage seemed much more focused on how unlucky the saints were but at the game i thought that after quarter time they were lucky to actualy be so close as to threaten. They may have had a lot of inside fities but they were useless inside fifties and having loose players along half back may have allowed them to get it in but it didnt help them score.

Our last few minutes was reminiscent of when we used to play Geelong a few years back when they were at their best and we would stay in touch and then all of a sudden we were down by thirty points. Wonderful effort after a tough week with the road trip. Considering that arguably our best player is not back in form yet we still have upside and we are still on top. Go swans

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    Phew, what a relief! I found that game incredibly nerve wracking to watch and found it impossible to relax - was a pretty scrappy contest with lots of mistakes from both sides, honestly our surge in the last bit of the last quarter was really the difference, the Swans really lifted a gear in the middle when I was not sure if they had it in them. Kennedy back to his best and I don't think we could have done it without Jack. At half-time with Mumford injured I had almost marked this down as the loss we had to have after being up for six weeks, but Pyke stood up in the ruck (can hear Roosy pumping him up in my head as I type this!) and as a result we find ourselves back on top, but deservingly. Can really consolidate a top 4 spot over the next couple of weeks, and then comes the blockbuster against Collingwood. Can't wait!

(PS: I know we play a lot of night matches, but how good was it to have Sunday afternoon footy back at the SCG? I don't mind the occasional 4:30 starts, but day games still provide the better spectacle IMHO. The crowd was awesome today)
    Great post, about the game and the crowd. I was really happy to see such a big crowd there yesterday even with the slightly iffy weather. Well done to the supporters for getting out there.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Go Wardy!!!

Kind of knew we would win. Kind of knew it would not be easy as the boys had a lot of positive publicity and it and it can mess with your mind; not only that it highlighted our best players and they were teamed against big time. It had to be a game to show to themselves, and to the public, that they CAN win ugly as well as pretty and that they CAN slog it out if need be and not give up.

True bloods.

AND, AND!! Thank heavens for LRT. We are lucky to have him.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I'd have to agree, LRT had a really good game. I was praying when he was taking that set shot and I promised God that if he got the goal I would switch allegiances and be a LRT lover and I am now hereby converted. Go the Viking!!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Awesome win.

Shame about Mummy but good to see LRT there to step up as 2nd ruck. Wonder how TDL would have gone playing 2nd ruck?

If you call 2 posessions and 3 hitouts after half time stepping up. I'm pretty confident that our super sub Everitt could have had a similar impact, after all he is in the team for his versatility.

Otherwise Sam Reid or Teddy Richards (with AJ taking a key back position) could also have performed the same role

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast