Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "AFL raid on the cradle of league"

"AFL raid on the cradle of league"

AFL raid on the cradle of league

Must be a slow news day when a puff-piece like this headlines the back page of the SMH.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I did like the subtle positioning of referring to NRL "clubs" and an AFL "franchise" in the same sentence.

It's a nice bit of scare mongering, many a year ago I used to head over to Birchgrove Oval for a kick with a friend who lived around the corner from it- I'm not sure of the state of it now, but back then it wasn't really maintained in great condition. If it truly means that much to Rugby League then they weren't really putting their money where their mouth is (a decade ago they weren't, at least).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Goes up to 11
    Stupid article - however probably sums up the position of a lot of people in Sydney who perceive the AFL as 'muscling in' on Rugby League, which is a pretty strong part of the history and fabric of Sydney.

Almost Football Legend
    It's a ridiculous article. Rugby league has never had exclusive use of Birchgrove Oval - at the moment, it is also used by soccer and cricket. All that changes is that Australian football replaces soccer; but rugby league isn't affected at all.
    The plaque, now in a poor state of repair, commemorates that the opening round of rugby league was played there. Australian football was also played on Birchgrove in that year.

Birchgrove is a smokescreen, the whole thing is nothing more than an excuse to take pot-shots at Leichhardt Council. The real agenda for the rugby league people is to pressure the council to approve the proposed high-rise pokie palace on Victoria Road.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Birchgrove is a smokescreen, the whole thing is nothing more than an excuse to take pot-shots at Leichhardt Council. The real agenda for the rugby league people is to pressure the council to approve the proposed high-rise pokie palace on Victoria Road.
    Which we can only hope they do not approve!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

League is part of the fabric of society in Sydney, so is teh Madi Gras, if they wanted to have the Madi Gras in Balmain, down Victoria Rd, they'd jump on it in a second. Just some lazy journalist on a slow news day, scare mongering the league supporters
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    League is part of the fabric of society in Sydney, so is teh Madi Gras, if they wanted to have the Madi Gras in Balmain, down Victoria Rd, they'd jump on it in a second. Just some lazy journalist on a slow news day, scare mongering the league supporters
    I'm sure the AFL, in their wisdom, has already determined that Sydney needs another Mardi Gras, and have been planning this second Mardi Gras for some time now....

Nothing wrong with the story - it's only the enraged reaction from league diehards that make it newsworthy. They are feeling under siege.

Peter Fitzsimmons handled the story much better in his column yesterday (which I can't find) in which he took the opportunity to remind that a brilliant article by well, himself in fact, years ago pointed out that the AFL was going to take over because it was pouring money into the grassroots. Even his old school Riverview (?) now has an Aussie Rules team. Even better Robbie Deans' daughter is now playing it.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Nothing wrong with the story - it's only the enraged reaction from league diehards that make it newsworthy. They are feeling under siege.

Peter Fitzsimmons handled the story much better in his column yesterday (which I can't find) in which he took the opportunity to remind that a brilliant article by well, himself in fact, years ago pointed out that the AFL was going to take over because it was pouring money into the grassroots. Even his old school Riverview (?) now has an Aussie Rules team. Even better Robbie Deans' daughter is now playing it.
    Fitzsimons went to Knox not Riverview. His sons go to Knox now as well.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Fitzsimons went to Knox not Riverview. His sons go to Knox now as well.
    Knox underline growth with Swans Cup success - AFL Greater Sydney Juniors - SportingPulse

You'all can't sneak things past ol Billy..............................
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Thanks Wardy. I knew it was some rugby-obsessive private school or other.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast