Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would you take?

Who would you take?

Ben Ried, Harry O'brien, Travis Cloke, Dayne Beams are all out of contract at the end of the year. Cloke's dad wants a 5 year deal but doesnt look likely in happening, which pies player would you take out of the lot if you could have one. Beams would be a really good outside mid for us but i think hell sign. Id love ben reid as he could potentially be our CHF, CHB versatile player and i certainly would love cloke, but only at the right price, think hes really overrated if they want 1 million for him.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    I think Reid is the one. Get him up here with his brother. Could you imagine what Travis and David Cloke's attitude could do to us? We've got plenty in O'Brien's sweeping half back role, and while Beams is looking great (and I wouldn't knock him back), I think we have plenty of up and coming midfield talent there as well.
    1. Reid; 2. Beams; 3. Cloke; 4 O'Brien.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Cloke, easily.

We have defenders, midfielders and halfbacks. Cloke and Sam could lead us to a flag.

You can never have enough midfielders
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

A quality key forward is the missing piece in our list. However our back line is getting a little old tbh. Won't be too long before Shaw, Marty, Teddy leave and as of now we don't have the cattle to cover.

Reid would set us up for a long time and probably has the greatest incentive to come to our club in particular. Nevertheless any one of Cloke, Reid and Beams would cost an arm and a leg in terms of both their contract and the players we'd have to give up on the trade table.

If we don't get a big key forward I'd probably be happy if we continue our 'fringe-first grader' trade policy. We aren't sacrificing too much for a potential good gain that way. Suban or Silvagni from the Dockers seem to be possible good gets?

Reid and Beams.

I think we'll be OK in the forward line with Reid, Rohan and Goodes for the next 3 years.

Beams is very under rated in that Collingwood midfield. Reid is a gun. The Swans backline has been a constant source of strength over the past 20 years and he would be a great asset, plus the Reid brothers factor.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

On the Rookie List
    Reid as key position back to free teddy up to play loose or up the ground even and as some guarantee for our aging backline. 2nd option would be beams as you can Never have enough midfield/half forward types IMO. 3rd, and unlucky for not 2nd, would be hob. He is a blood in another Colour, he would fit straight into our system and he is friend with the dalai llama so he would bring the spirituallity back in spades. A long distance 4th is cloke. Completely overated , can't kick straight and never has been able to. Is a complete collingwood feral. He would never leave Melbourne because he can't tie his own shoelaces. Do I need to go on?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    I think Reid is the one. Get him up here with his brother. Could you imagine what Travis and David Cloke's attitude could do to us? We've got plenty in O'Brien's sweeping half back role, and while Beams is looking great (and I wouldn't knock him back), I think we have plenty of up and coming midfield talent there as well.
    1. Reid; 2. Beams; 3. Cloke; 4 O'Brien.
    Nailed it, I'd do the same.

Travis is a very talented player, and it'd be pretty exciting to have the combined contested marking of Sam and Trav playing on the SCG for 10 games a year- but he just screams of "too expensive, not worth the headache".
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Certainly no interest in O'Brien.
    Couldn't bare another Swan poncing around with the Dalai Lama.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Certainly no interest in O'Brien.
    Couldn't bare another Swan poncing around with the Dalai Lama.
    Was that bare or bear, Ernie Koala ??????

Cloke for me. It would be like thrusting a dagger into the magpie army.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Cloke for me. It would be like thrusting a dagger into the magpie army.
    Good point. Although I would go for Sidebottom. Gets goals, is getting better and better, v good player and younger + cheaper than Cloak, with little attitude issues.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Zero-hesitation answer: Ben Reid.

A Swans spine with the two Reid boys in it is a truly tantalising prospect. And you know Ben's parents would be cool with it.

I hold out hope that the pressure to retain Cloke will force the Pies to release a big name player (like Ben (to us)). But Big Ben is an AA key position defender, and still only 23! I suspect he'd be the last of that group the Pies would let go, including Cloke.

Supplementary question: As well as who you'd take from that list, who would you give up from ours? And be reasonable
    For Ben Reid, I'd give them Seaby & a high draft pick.
    Last edited by Red; 26th June 2012 at 11:17 AM.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast