Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowd Predictions for Sydney vs Collingwood

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Will the fact that Collingwood will be playing at Skoda this week will have any impact on the crowd for our game?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Will the fact that Collingwood will be playing at Skoda this week will have any impact on the crowd for our game?
    If GWS beat them, maybe lol
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Goes up to 11
    I was wondering that too - will be interesting to see how many show up out there this weekend for that. Surely a few Pies fans will have elected to travel for the GWS game instead of the Swans game this year. Unfortunately, however, there are a number of Pies fans who live in Sydney. I blame the lax border security at Albury these days...

Swannies for life!

Regular in the Side
    There was 72,000 back in 2003 on a wet cold night, when that season club membership was less than 20,000. If the game is properly promoted by the AFL and the two clubs, and Sydney are 15 and 3 and on top of the ladder, I can't see wny the crowd could not approach 75,000.

Another postitive factor is that there are no international rugby games on that weekend. The NRL have a South Sydney-Manly game (admittably two top 8 teams) playing in far away Gosford that night.

I stand by what I wrote above, if conditions are right the crowd will be 75,000 plus.
    Last edited by top40; 23rd July 2012 at 08:54 PM.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post

I stand by what I wrote above, if conditions are right the crowd will be 75,000 plus.
    Conditions are right like $100 bill give aways, free beers and $3:90 chips. Otherwise, nah . about 25,000 too many.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

They'll case the houses this time and then break in next time. So no.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Conditions are right like $100 bill give aways, free beers and $3:90 chips. Otherwise, nah . about 25,000 too many.
    Why do you say this in light of the 2003 Swans-Collingwood crowd?.What's changed in 9 years?:

1. Sydney's Swans membership is higher-less than 20,000 in 2003 in Sydney, now almost 30,000.
    2. Sydney's population has grown by 600,000-4.0 million in 2003, 4.6 million in 2012.
    3. Registered junior AFL players have dramatically increased since 2003.
    4. The Swans have in the past 7 years have won a Premiership and been in two Grand Finals.
    5. The Pies in the past 3 years have won a Premiership and been in three Grand Finals.
    6. For the 2003 game, Sydney had lost 7 games and were placed only 4th on the ladder. Compared with this year: 3 losses and 1st on the ladder.
    7. The Round 1 ANZ game in 2003, Swans v Carlton, the crowd was only 30,000. The Round 1 ANZ game in 2012, GWS v Swans, the crowd was nearly 40,000.

So why would one be so gloomy about a really big crowd?.

Realism! The AFL propped the games up at the start of the homebush contract. They gave away a heap of tickets to junior clubs, or frankly anyone who could spell afl. It wa a novelty and people went.

Reality says unless it is a big final we won't see that crowd repeated again

Be lucky to crack 45K I reckon.

Regular in the Side
    Why wouldnt the AFL prop this game up, particularly in light of the push to the Western Suburbs. I also thought I had made a point about the comparable 2003/2012 Round 1 games at Homebush. Round 1 2003 Sydney play a traditional Victorian team with a high following in NSW such as Carlton, whereupon just over 30,000 turn up. Hardly up an example of a successful prop up by the AFL nine years ago

Gee I hope the generals in Melbourne are reading the thread.

One other factor. In 2003 Sydney's past four years had seen them play in just two finals games, whereupn they were badly beaten both times. As of 2012 Sydney, in the past four years have played in six finals games, won three and almost won a fourth. Bottom line is that Sydney siders love a recent winner.

Why do you say this in light of the 2003 Swans-Collingwood crowd?.What's changed in 9 years?:

I would love to see another 70 K plus crowd. Once you start getting near capacity then IMO it is better than the SCG because of the volume.

Sydney is fickle at the best of times. The AFL should be handing out tickets to junior players to get them to come to the game.

Sit them up on level 6.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast