Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Update on SCG redevelopment

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Hi All,

Did any of our regular posters happen to go to the SCG to watch the cricket and if anyone went to the new Noble stand. If so can they tell us what the new facility is like?
    One of my colleagues went. He said the view from level 1 was great. He wasn't so complimentary about the price of food at some of the fancy new franchises ($17 for burger, over $10 for a meat pie), and also commented that they have positioned a bar right next door to the only escalator down from level 1 to ground level, making traffic flow appalling. He also commented that it seemed like the catering staff were just starting to familiarise themselves with equipment on day 1 of the test, and the pressure in the beer taps was non-existent, so that it took 10 minutes for staff to fill a schooner (or pint, or whatever he was drinking).

Sorry but i think it looks ugly and so mismatched. I guess they had to continue with the tradition of mismatching stands at the SCG. That style only ever looked good with old stands and not moden structures.

I went on Sunday and wandered thru all levels prior to play. It is fantastic and the Red Zoners have hit the jackpot. The upper sections are still under construction with hoardings and port-a-loos gracing the balcony on level 4 which eventually will look back over the city. The roof is still only half complete but it should all be up and running by season start.
    You can get a proper coffee and food choices were plentiful and certainly a step up from the usual crap, but I didn't actually buy anything so can't comment on prices. That said, surely it's not a shock to anybody when they get gouged at the cash register at footy grounds?

Did they have beer from the on-site micro-brewery available ? Possibly not as cricket crowds are restricted to mid strength beers.

$17 may be for the wagyu burger? I don't think those will be on sale everywhere (you can't always get wagyu want)

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffy-dude View Post
    Sorry but i think it looks ugly and so mismatched. I guess they had to continue with the tradition of mismatching stands at the SCG. That style only ever looked good with old stands and not moden structures.
    I agree with you. Looking at it on the TV during the cricket, I thought the roof looks totally out of place with the other stands. I'll reserve judgement on its functionality until the stand is finished but, at this stage, I wonder how exposed people will be to wind and rain during the footy season.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    I agree with you. Looking at it on the TV during the cricket, I thought the roof looks totally out of place with the other stands. I'll reserve judgement on its functionality until the stand is finished but, at this stage, I wonder how exposed people will be to wind and rain during the footy season.
    Me too.
    I was at the ground on Sunday sitting in the Churchill stand so i didn't get to have a close up look, but it currently looks bloody ugly and even when the roof is finished doesn't look like there is going to be to much protection from the elements up there.

The roof is way too high. Did it look like that in the final renders? If so why didnt the architects fix it? It might have all the modern facilities and accessibility standards but from an aesthetic POV it looks like terrible. The gap between roof and last row is way to high. I get what they were doing with how people view the action on the field, but its just looks awkward. Are they going to cover the back section?

Would hate to be caught in a Sydney storm up there with no protection except the roof.

What they did with the old hill is nice and i thought it would have been an extention of that, but it's not. It's just another grandstand wedged between two other stands, which is what used to annoy me about the SCG. I guess the tradition lives on. In 10 years when they demolish the next stand we might see whatever style is in at the time for a grandstand and yet another mismatch.

Hi Triple B,

With the new modifications, I believe that the surface area of the SCG playing field has been lengthened. From your observations do you think that this has occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Hi Triple B,

With the new modifications, I believe that the surface area of the SCG playing field has been lengthened. From your observations do you think that this has occurred?
    This has definitely occurred. I was 4 rows from the fence on Sunday. It is clearly a little longer at the Noble Stand end now.
    Swannies for life!

7 metres longer is what I read somewhere last week.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffy-dude View Post
    What they did with the old hill is nice and i thought it would have been an extention of that, but it's not. It's just another grandstand wedged between two other stands, which is what used to annoy me about the SCG. I guess the tradition lives on. In 10 years when they demolish the next stand we might see whatever style is in at the time for a grandstand and yet another mismatch.
    The new stand does look a little odd - at least on TV, I've not seen it in flesh and blood yet - and the roof looks out of all proportion. But I don't mind that the SCG is a mix and match set of stands. No doubt some Melbournites will jump on me for this, but I think the inside of the MCG is a soulless cavern. It all looks the same. Sure, it's great atmospherically when it is packed, but aesthetically I think it is really boring. I love the fact that each area of the SCG has it's own architectural personality.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I'll reserve judgement until footy season starts but I imagine it will be a bit like the MCG in that you should have a good view no matter where you sit in the new stand. As for being gouged when buying food/drink at the footy, that is nothing new, but looking at the artist impressions on the redevelopment website I do like that they have tried to create more meeting spaces inside the ground, going to the footy or cricket is partly a social activity after all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast