Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Update on SCG redevelopment

Stage 2 of the SCG Masterplan has been a fascinating project to watch evolve over the last five years. Below's the new stand as originally proposed:

noblebradman1.jpg
    Best described as low-impact, in every sense of the term, the facilities within would also have been 2nd rate compared to other redeveloped grounds. I, for one, am heartened we didn't settle for such a nondescript design.

The revised plan was certainly more striking:

noblebradman2.jpg
    So radical were the changes, you could be forgiven for thinking the original was little more than a Trojan Longmire. Apart from the substantially increased amenity and height, the revised submission also bangs on about the stand no longer encroaching on Studios, compensation issues possibly. Here's a late render that pretty much sets Noble-Bradman in stone.. or cast in bronze?

noblebradman3.jpg
    I don't dislike it. At least it's distinctive which is as much as you can say of any stadium and more than you can say of most. Yes, for now it jars with all other stands but only till the Cricket World Cup is done and Brewongle/Churchill receive a similar makeover. The top tier gap doesn't bother me and besides, filled with seats we'd no doubt breach the dreaded Damoclean Stadium Australia Project Agreement Amendment Deed when stage 3 debuts.

Is it true the O'Reilly stand was named after its builder, banished from Torquay by a gnome weilding hotelier? It looks it. After the much maligned last stand gets the Trumper treatment in 2019, the SCG ought look something like this:

scg.jpg
    Not too shabby, I should think. The vintage stands either shine like emeralds set upon a ring of white gold or stink like mould festering on a vanilla iced donut, depending on your point of view.

I choose the gems and not the germs.

Veteran Site Admin
    If the plan is to rebuild the Churchill and Brewongle stands to match the new MA Noble and Bradman, the design does look a lot more cohesive. Indeed, that last picture looks great.

Mind you, while I am resigned to it happening, this ongoing demolition and rebuilding, strategically designed by the Trust to disrupt two football seasons, is a tad tiresome. It would be nice to have a couple of seasons of the ground at full capacity to take advantage of our imminent on field domination!

By the way, does anyone know if access via Moore Park road via the back entrance has now been restored? Or are the only entry points still on Driver Avenue?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The new stand does look a little odd - at least on TV, I've not seen it in flesh and blood yet - and the roof looks out of all proportion. But I don't mind that the SCG is a mix and match set of stands. No doubt some Melbournites will jump on me for this, but I think the inside of the MCG is a soulless cavern. It all looks the same. Sure, it's great atmospherically when it is packed, but aesthetically I think it is really boring. I love the fact that each area of the SCG has it's own architectural personality.
    I completely agree. I like the mismatchedness of the SCG. I find the MCG lacks the intimacy of the SCG.

When are they proposing to knock down the Brewongle and Churchill stand?...I was hoping for at least a few years/ seasons of non developement.

As for the aesthetic of the new stand....

To me, the attempt to round either end of the top tier, and in the middle, to create 2 sections looks clumsy. Hopefully the finished product will give a more fluent feel.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Liz, we had breakfast in Paddo and came in via the Moore Pk Rd entry, so it's all good again

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    When are they proposing to knock down the Brewongle and Churchill stand?...I was hoping for at least a few years/ seasons of non developement.
    I believe this is a "refurbishment" rather than "replacement" but I haven't seen any details of what is proposed.

The O'Reilly stand encroaches on the old Showground (now Fox Studios). When it was built (originally as the Pat Hills Stand) a lease was arranged for some footprint of Showground land so as to make the Stand deeper and higher. The trade off was that the ground floor was accessed from the Showground and converted into offices - the very offices that were allocated to the Swans.

I don't think the new stand would encroach onto the Fox land.

I decided to keep my seat in the Trumper stand as it is closer to the exit for the buses to Central. I was in Bay 314 in row U, but requested an isle seat this year. Hopefully I get. The only drawback for me was the sun, but we don't have many day games this season so shouldn't be a big issue.

Gee I hope the O'Reilly gets the facelift next! Been sitting there since 1982 and it needs an upgrade of facilities!
    Swannies for life!

Goes up to 11
    Our gang is moving from the O'Reilly concourse to the new stand - hopefully under cover as we're over sitting in the rain as invariably happens several times per year. At least in the new stand it looks like you can disappear underneath to where the bars etc are when it rains, and still see the match - cant do that in the O'Reilly.....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Our gang is moving from the O'Reilly concourse to the new stand - hopefully under cover as we're over sitting in the rain as invariably happens several times per year. At least in the new stand it looks like you can disappear underneath to where the bars etc are when it rains, and still see the match - cant do that in the O'Reilly.....
    The greatest benefit of red zone membership is the seating flexibility.

No move for me this year. I'll just have to continue to suffer with being directly opposite the centre circle at the front of the Brewongle. *starts sobbing*
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast