Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Reid

Ben Reid

The Age in Melbourne has an article today about contract talks with Ben Reid, brother of our Sam, whose contract ends this season. With the Cloke situation taking its time, Reid's discussions have stalled.

Would we be a chance to steal him? Do we want him? And who or what would we be prepared to trade for him?

On the Rookie List
    While we don't really need another tall defender, someone his age and quality you'd take in a heartbeat. Gun. I'd doubt we'd have anything to give up though, they'd want a high pick and a kid probably, he was AA last year

I think that we could do a deal with them after the deal we did on Jolly. I think they got off easy with giving us picks 14 & 46 for the top ruckman in the league. Although we did very well out of them Lewis Jetta at 14, traded 39, 46 & 70 for Benny & Joey. So both 14 & 46 came in very useful but still and all the deal looked very much a good one for Colliwobbles. In the end if we give them a similar deal for Ben it would seem fair! Maybe not as good as the Jolly deal after all Jolly was a current 'All Australian'.

I think there is merit in getting him to Sydney as he would be happier playing here and we do need another tall defender no matter what people think as Teddy will not last forever and LRT is not far off retirement. I would love Teddy to last forever but! It would also give us more depth in that area again even though we are third best in defence maybe we could become the best!

May not be an option much longer ...

Reid closes on Collingwood deal
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Another 2 years to take him through to restricted free agency, then up to play with the swannies!

How good would it be to have him and Sam in the same Fwd line. Why would you put an AA defender up forward? Because it would be so very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    How good would it be to have him and Sam in the same Fwd line. Why would you put an AA defender up forward? Because it would be so very cool.
    Plus it'd make it really hard for defenders:-

"I've got Reid, you get Reid."
    "No I'll take Reid, you cover Reid."
    "Who's got Reid?" (two reply at once) "I do!"

etc
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    I would definitely leave him down back. Oh by the way him and Sam are in the same forward line at least once a year, ours!

Leave Ben in defence and get bookends -it'll make for a good Reid.

(Stole it but I like it.)
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkari View Post
    Leave Ben in defence and get bookends -it'll make for a good Reid.

(Stole it but I like it.)
    You can't have a good Reid unless Gemima Grundy and Big Ted are there. A Shaw bet.

(I made that up and if you don't like it - doesn't Mattner.)
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

park-er that thought
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

im confused on an opposition teams ability to pick up a Reid or Cloke

if Ben Reid wants to come to Sydney and we offered him $450k pa and the Pies offered $350k pa.......... does Collingwood have to match the salary we offer if they decide to not release Ben?

Ive always been confused about this area - as I understand teams trade players or picks but I have never understood how it works when a player wants to leave because the salary is higher at a new club ? irrespective of trade offers etc
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast