Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben Reid

I think that's where restricted and unrestricted free agent comes into play. Restricted means the club has the option to match any offer made by another club, whereas unrestricted means the player can leave whether the club matches the offer or not.

No, Collingwood do not need to match the offer. If he is not a free agent and he doesn't like Collingwood's offer then he can go back into the draft and hope that he is picked by us and not Melbourne. (He is out of contract). In practice, he would probably end up at his preferred club as no-one will draft him if they know he doesn't want to be at their club. This is what happened to Luke Ball.

If he was a restricted free agent (he isn't), then Collingwood get a chance to match any offer we make, but they don't have to take this chance - they can just let him go in which case he goes directly to us.

If he was an unrestricted free agent he could pretty much do what he wants.

That's my understanding anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    im confused on an opposition teams ability to pick up a Reid or Cloke

if Ben Reid wants to come to Sydney and we offered him $450k pa and the Pies offered $350k pa.......... does Collingwood have to match the salary we offer if they decide to not release Ben?

Ive always been confused about this area - as I understand teams trade players or picks but I have never understood how it works when a player wants to leave because the salary is higher at a new club ? irrespective of trade offers etc
    If his contract has run out he can opt to go to another team and his club would look to trade him for Draft Picks or players who are at the buying club. Some clubs might even want remuneration for losing a player in the form of cash. This can only happen if a player is out of contract at the end of the contract period. All contracts end on 31st October but a player is seen to be obligated to his current club until the completion of the National Draft. This means that his club and his potential club can proceed with trade negotiations but not until after 31st October. His agent may have offers from rival clubs for his services but they cannot make them public until after 31st October.

A Partial Free Agent can leave the club with no remuneration to the club at all. But if he is a top 10 player &his club matches the offer he has to stay. If he is not a top 10 player he has the right to go anyway. This kicks in at 8 years Service. If a Partial Free Agent who is in the top 10 at a club refuses to stay then the usual negotiations proceed between his club and the prospective club for transfer fees & swaps.

A Full Free Agent can go where he wants with no remuneration to the club and has unrestricted movement. This kicks in after 10 years.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Who decides that he is a top 10 player?

I think its "wanted or required player" is the terminology they use.

There is a big difference between the two definitions. I imagine this first year of this new rule will be a mess in practise.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    No, Collingwood do not need to match the offer. If he is not a free agent and he doesn't like Collingwood's offer then he can go back into the draft and hope that he is picked by us and not Melbourne. (He is out of contract). In practice, he would probably end up at his preferred club as no-one will draft him if they know he doesn't want to be at their club. This is what happened to Luke Ball.

If he was a restricted free agent (he isn't), then Collingwood get a chance to match any offer we make, but they don't have to take this chance - they can just let him go in which case he goes directly to us.

If he was an unrestricted free agent he could pretty much do what he wants.

That's my understanding anyway.
    chrs mate

in luke balls situation a couple of years........if the pies were willing to draft him and pay the $500k pa which he was hoping for that is all well and good...........but what about if richmond drafted luke with their top pick and only wanted to pay him $250k pa........what happens then ?

do the saints have no obligation to take him back.....i am guessing so given they probably did not give him an offer that year or not nearly what he wanted from all reports........??
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I just heard today something I hadn't realised.....according to SEN (and let's face it many of their commentators are not very bright at all) teams that have players leaving as free agents receive draft picks as the AFL sees fit (same as players going to GWS and Gold Coast)...then again I think it was David King and he is a pretty stupid bloke about everything except actually playing the game.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    I just heard today something I hadn't realised.....according to SEN (and let's face it many of their commentators are not very bright at all) teams that have players leaving as free agents receive draft picks as the AFL sees fit (same as players going to GWS and Gold Coast)...then again I think it was David King and he is a pretty stupid bloke about everything except actually playing the game.
    A club only receives picks based on their "net" free agency loss. Not sure whether that works separately for each season or if it is somehow worked out over a period of years.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    chrs mate

in luke balls situation a couple of years........if the pies were willing to draft him and pay the $500k pa which he was hoping for that is all well and good...........but what about if richmond drafted luke with their top pick and only wanted to pay him $250k pa........what happens then ?

do the saints have no obligation to take him back.....i am guessing so given they probably did not give him an offer that year or not nearly what he wanted from all reports........??
    When an experienced player enters the draft he can nominate his price. Any club who picks him up has to honour that price.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Who decides that he is a top 10 player?

I think its "wanted or required player" is the terminology they use.

There is a big difference between the two definitions. I imagine this first year of this new rule will be a mess in practise.
    The pay scale at his current club determines where he ranks at that club.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12