Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round 18: Gold Coast Suns Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Can't afford to have "selfless challenged" players in the team. (trying to be politically correct)
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Good win and I think Morton must be close to getting a call up.

I really worry about our lack of experienced depth heading into the pointy end of the season but Morton is a mature experienced player who does have x-factor and can kick goals. Think he must be tried before the finals just to have a senior look at him. Might be just the nissing piece of the forward puzzle.
    Totally disagree . "The missing piece of the forward puzzle"...?

If you ask me, he's just the type, ie; selfish show pony, I don't want in the team as we head into the serious stuff.

The guy has no finals experience, poor pressure skills and hasn't played senior footy since who know when.....NO THANKS
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    Really dissapointed about Mitchell's injury omission, given he just had an article this week about his recovery. Starting to get the feeling this kid, despite he brilliant talent, is going to be disappointed by his body. Poor thing.
    Look most of his problems are soft tissue injuries that started before he was drafted. He is a talent but you have to get him right and get a good pre-season into him. He is a first year draft proposition like Lamb, Brown & Lockyer. It is interesting that all of them have spent a lot of time injured this season. I think it is getting used to the Sydney surfaces. Other than that I can see the problem of trying to play with limited preparation compared to the other players. Look at the difference to Jetstar this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Look most of his problems are soft tissue injuries that started before he was drafted. He is a talent but you have to get him right and get a good pre-season into him. He is a first year draft proposition like Lamb, Brown & Lockyer. It is interesting that all of them have spent a lot of time injured this season. I think it is getting used to the Sydney surfaces. Other than that I can see the problem of trying to play with limited preparation compared to the other players. Look at the difference to Jetstar this year.
    It seems to be a trend towards injuries in draftees across all clubs and it has to be concerning for the AFL. My guess is that the competition to train hard to get drafted is taking its toll on young bodies.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    It seems to be a trend towards injuries in draftees across all clubs and it has to be concerning for the AFL. My guess is that the competition to train hard to get drafted is taking its toll on young bodies.
    Agreed.

I'm really not sure how it can be addressed, short of increasing the draft age again (but I'm not sold that would work)- it's hard to stop enthusiasm/drive/commitment in kids. It's an area that the AFL needs to focus on a fair bit over the coming years; for every Tom Mitchell (probably a bad example given he is a father/son and would have been a high pick anyway, but you know what I mean!) that drives himself hard and gets onto a roster and has a club helping to work them through niggles there's a hell of a lot of others that don't make it and don't get that.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Agreed.

I'm really not sure how it can be addressed, short of increasing the draft age again (but I'm not sold that would work)- it's hard to stop enthusiasm/drive/commitment in kids. It's an area that the AFL needs to focus on a fair bit over the coming years; for every Tom Mitchell (probably a bad example given he is a father/son and would have been a high pick anyway, but you know what I mean!) that drives himself hard and gets onto a roster and has a club helping to work them through niggles there's a hell of a lot of others that don't make it and don't get that.
    I am mates with a tall forward at an opposition club. He has been injury prone throughout his career and he puts most of his issues down to the fact he did so much damage trying to keep up with the senior players in his first 2 years on the list. He didn't want to show any weakness and was trying to get a game and played and trained injured way too much. As a result he is paying for it now.
    Sometimes the kids just have to be held back a bit which we tend to do quite well.
    I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Some details here, mostly from the Suns' points of view. It's encouraging that their coach thought they played better against us than they did a week earlier in beating the Lions reserves.

North East Australian Football League: Northern Conference Round 18 Review

Thanks Ugg a good read anyway. Says that Morton didn't dominate the game. I would think that 9 goals is a pretty dominant display. A player doesn't need to get 30 kicks if he gets 14 and kicks 9.3 and two goal assists.

Thanks Ugg. I think they must be making sure MM is desparate to play and is not going to take the opportunity when it arrives for granted. Not say, just observing how things work. Attitude is everything.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Thanks Ugg. I think they must be making sure MM is desparate to play and is not going to take the opportunity when it arrives for granted. Not say, just observing how things work. Attitude is everything.
    Very very true Prims and from what I have seen of him in the ressies, it's his attitude that has needed the most work.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123