Thread: Drummoyne Sports Club Closed

Drummoyne Sports Club Closed

Got sent a message about this yesterday. Balmain's major sponsor!!!! On the website closed till further notice.
    Last edited by muddybulldog; 5th August 2012 at 01:59 PM.

been shut for about 3 weeks .
    but great work .

Great work for the post, or the closed club that sends a message 3 weeks after closure?

Quote Originally Posted by muddybulldog View Post
    Got sent a message about this yesterday. Balmain's major sponsor!!!! On the website closed till further notice.
    Blimey that pot of cash didn't last long......

I see from the Sports Club website this morning, that the "CLOSED FOR BUSINESS" sign has been taken down - does that mean that it's "BUSINESS AS USUAL" or is something else transpiring ?

To the casual footy fan, the finances of Balmain FC have long been a bit of a mystery. Back in the late 1990s, there were the rumours of advantageous property dealings with the sports club that caused many solid footballers to appear, as well as two premiership trophies for that cabinet (1998, 1999) as I recall.
    Since then, name players have come and gone (and did they all get paid we asked !) and other nice little property dealings. And a shiny new pavilion with that odd (unused) concrete building at the northern goals.
    Then there was the alliance with the Dockers that was to bring "strategic benefits", but, alas, no fans, not enough volunteers, and no more silverware.
    All along there has been this mysterious sports club in the background that seemed to be sold again and again to provide funding.

But it seems that the lawnbowling activities of the sports club have declined (as per the website) and the club has existed under "an arrangement" with the footy club...what does THAT mean ??; I've always been sceptical about using pokie money to fund sports activities but that's a whole other story.

At the end of the day, the only sustainable way to run a footy club in Sydney surely has to be to go out and get real live sponsors, and to limit player payments to what the budget will allow. Perhaps Balmain has done that - it will be fascinating to see how the wrap of their season goes, and who sticks around for next year, and where the club's direction will be.
    Last edited by justabaraker; 6th August 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    I see from the Sports Club website this morning, that the "CLOSED FOR BUSINESS" sign has been taken down - does that mean that it's "BUSINESS AS USUAL" or is something else transpiring ?

To the casual footy fan, the finances of Balmain FC have long been a bit of a mystery. Back in the late 1990s, there were the rumours of advantageous property dealings with the sports club that caused many solid footballers to appear, as well as two premiership trophies for that cabinet (1998, 1999) as I recall.
    Since then, name players have come and gone (and did they all get paid we asked !) and other nice little property dealings. And a shiny new pavilion with that odd (unused) concrete building at the northern goals.
    Then there was the alliance with the Dockers that was to bring "strategic benefits", but, alas, no fans, not enough volunteers, and no more silverware.
    All along there has been this mysterious sports club in the background that seemed to be sold again and again to provide funding.

But it seems that the lawnbowling activities of the sports club have declined (as per the website) and the club has existed under "an arrangement" with the footy club...what does THAT mean ??; I've always been sceptical about using pokie money to fund sports activities but that's a whole other story.

At the end of the day, the only sustainable way to run a footy club in Sydney surely has to be to go out and get real live sponsors, and to limit player payments to what the budget will allow. Perhaps Balmain has done that - it will be fascinating to see how the wrap of their season goes, and who sticks around for next year, and where the club's direction will be.
    You are asking a lot of rhetorical questions there

I think we all know the answer to your questions and that is that Balmain Football Club will cease to exist in its current format if it does not continually unearth questionable pots of money to pay mercenary coaches and players.

With the structures in place at Sydney Uni and the brilliant culture in place at UTS it is pretty hard going to have three inner-city SFL clubs.

Perhaps it could be a case of back to the future for Balmain. As an SFA club they had a good culture. They didn't pay players but used to have big fundraisers etc that effectively funnelled money into the end of season trip, usually to an overseas destination and often free of charge. They were an inclusive club and because of their demographics they attracted good players.

Now??? They are a disgrace to Sydney football the way they have conducted their club in recent years.