Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 19: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 19: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

NEAFL Round 19
    UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves
    Saturday 4th August 2012 10.30am
    Skoda Stadium

Note This is the curtain raiser to the GWS Giants v Port Adelaide AFL match. Plenty of tickets left!

The Reserves will become the first Swans side to play at Sydney's newest AFL venue taking on their crosstown rivals the UWS Giants on Saturday morning. The Swans will be looking to complete a clean sweep over the Giants after winning the previous 2 contests this year by convincing 118 and 87 points margins.

UWS have struggled in the NEAFL this season due to the weekly changes put upon their seniors as their coaching staff seeks to share the load on their team's young (and old) bodies throughout the year. This has meant that UWS has had to rely on a lot of their contingent of topups, mostly drawn from their Academy. While these youngsters have performed admirably they haven't been able to match the hardened bodies of the other NEAFL sides, and with only 4 wins for the year they are well out of the running for the finals.

For the Swans, a victory would keep them within sight of the minor premiership, being only 1 game behind current league leaders the Queanbeyan Tigers with just 3 rounds to go. The side scored an impressive away victory over the Gold Coast Suns Reserves last week and will look to consolidate that result with a win in their last clash against an AFL Reserves side this year (unless they make the NEAFL Grand Grand Final of course )

Eastern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsForAgainstPercentagePoints
    Queanbeyan1512301735117914716%48
    Reserves15114020971076194.89%44
    Eastlake15105014701211121.39%40
    Ainslie1596016581430115.94%36
    Hills Eagles1596015701421110.49%36
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Belconnen1641111396164484.91%18
    UWS Giants1541101170186962.60%16
    Sydney Uni1531201105196556.23%12
    Tuggeranong1611411218220155.34%6

Past Meetings
    R1 UWS Giants 4.9 (33) defeated by Reserves 23.13 (151) @ ANZ Stadium

The Swans began their NEAFL season with a bang kicking 8 goals in the first quarter and keeping the hapless and undermanned Giants scoreless. The rout continued throughout the game, with Mark Seaby, Jarred Moore and Dylan McNeil dominating the clearances, and Trent Dennis-Lane and Jesse White finishing off their teammates' good work with 10 goals between them.

Goals: Dennis-Lane 6, White 4, Seaby 2, Lamb 2, Pyke 2, Moore 2, Cass 2, Biggs, McNeil, Morton
    Best: Seaby, Dennis-Lane, Moore, White, Lynch, McNeil

R14 Reserves 18.21 (129) defeated UWS 6.6 (42) @ ANZ Stadium
    Poor conversion in front of goal didn't cost the Reserves anything but a bigger victory as they were too strong for the youngsters from UWS. Nick Malceski was in fine form, rebounding from half back in a dynamic display with ex-West Coast rookie Lewis Broome setting the stadium alight with 5 well taken goals.

Goals: Broome 5, Dennis-Lane 4, Gordon 2, Biggs, Mitchell, Spangher, McNeil, Moody, Potter, Moore
    Best: Malceski, McNeil, Meredith, Broome, Dennis-Lane, Potter

R6 GWS 3.9 (27) defeated by Reserves 12.15 (87) @ Manuka Oval

GWS were much improved from their previous showing against the Reserves, and managed to keep the contest low-scoring and tight right up till the end of the 3rd quarter. The Swans kicked away in the last quarter but onlookers left very impressed with the disciplined and well-drilled side that Sheedy and Choco have managed to build up. Luke Parker was immense in the midfield and up forward, earning a debut in the next week based on this performance. Lewis Johnston and Chris McKaigue were lauded for their defensive work, especially their spoiling down back.

Goals: White 3, Haren 2, E.Moody 2, Dennis-Lane 2, Parker, Bevan, McNeil
    Best: Parker, Johnston, McKaigue, Thompson, Roberts-Thomson, McNeil

R12 GWS 3.11 (29) defeated by Reserves 17.13 (115) @ Blacktown Olympic Park

A tight and intriguing struggle developed during the early stages of the game where GWS's pressure and tackling strangled the Swans' movement of the ball. After an adjustment during the second quarter where the Sydney players started to kick longer and more direct, they managed to break the Giants' swarm and coast to a comfortable victory. Daniel Currie starred both in the ruck and at full forward finishing with 4 goals. Luke Parker was the pick of the dominant midfielders.

Goal Kickers: Currie 4, Gordon 3, White 2, Dennis-Lane 2, Otten 2, Everitt 2 McNeil, Meredith
    Best Players: Parker, Heath, Meredith, White, Gordon, Currie

R17 Reserves 9.3 (57) defeated by GWS 18.13 (121) @ Blacktown Olympic Park

Bad weather saw resulted in this SCG-scheduled match being relocated to the Giants' training ground. With only 9 listed players on the ground and 13 topups lining up, the team started well and were still in the game at half time but fell away in the 2nd half.

Goal Kickers: Dennis-Lane 2, Moore, Gordon, Murphy, White, Potter, McNeil
    Best Players: Potter, Gordon, Moore, White, McNeil, Murphy

Recent Form
    Reserves
    RoundTeamVenueResultFA
    R1UWSAwayWIN15134
    R2BYE    
    R3Gold CoastHomeLOSS5591
    R4AinslieAwayLOSS85111
    R5TuggeranongHomeWIN21341
    R6NT ThunderAwayLOSS90112
    R7Sydney UniAwayWIN23936
    R8BrisbaneAwayWIN12086
    R9EastlakeHomeWIN14443
    R10Gold CoastHomeWIN10956
    R11QueanbeyanAwayWIN13796
    R12BYE    
    R13Sydney UniHomeWIN18840
    R14UWSHomeWIN12942
    R15BrisbaneHomeLOSS103122
    R16BYE    
    R17BelconnenHomeWIN19766
    R18Gold CoastAwayWIN131100

UWS Giants
    RoundTeamVenueResultFA
    R1SydneyHomeLOSS34151
    R2BYE    
    R3BrisbaneHomeLOSS81109
    R4Hills EaglesHomeWIN13094
    R5QueanbeyanHomeWIN9894
    R6EastlakeAwayLOSS85103
    R7BYE    
    R8Gold CoastHomeWIN9075
    R9BrisbaneAwayLOSS33274
    R10Hills EaglesAwayLOSS27136
    R11BYE    
    R12NT ThunderAwayLOSS93139
    R13TuggeranongAwayLOSS89118
    R14SydneyAwayLOSS42129
    R15Gold CoastAwayLOSS72103
    R16Sydney UniAwayWIN12679
    R17AinslieHomeLOSS98111
    R18NT ThunderAwayLOSS72154

Last Round
    Reserves 20.11 (131) defeated Gold Coast 15.10 (100) @ Metricon Stadium
    A close fought game was blown apart in the last quarter when the Reserves unleashed an 8 goal display to easily triumph away at Metricon Stadium. Mitch Morton was the star forward, kicking 9 goals in a consistent all round display with Nathan Gordon and Matt Spangher's competitive displays leading the way for the Swans.

Goals: Morton 9, Spangher 3, Plug 2, Moore, Potter, McNeil, White, Everitt, Gordon
    Best: Gordon, Spangher, Morton, Meredith, Plug, Cunningham

NT Thunder 23.16 (154) defeated UWS Giants 10.12 (72) @ TIO Stadium
    A young Giants side backed up by some local topups were overpowered by the strong Thunder team. The Giants' defence struggled to contain the many attacking options of the home side, who had 11 goalkickers on the day. Half forward Nathan Wilson topped the goalkicking list with 3 with tough halfback Adam Kennedy, ruckman Andrew Phillips and key defender Jack Hombsch the best players for UWS.
    Goals: Wilson 3, Assan 2, Darley, Green, Redfern, Dhurrkay, Phillips
    Best: Kennedy, Phillips, Hombsch, Golds, Whiley, Clifton

Team List
    Listed players
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    7Brett MEREDITH12517Named in the bests against the Suns, making it 3 out of the last 4 games he has polled.
    10Mitch MORTON136417(Seniors extended bench)9 goals edged him just ahead of James Kavanagh (Queanbeyan) in the goalkicking race. First time he's been named in a Swans seniors squad.
    11Jed LAMB11122 
    13Andrejs EVERITT433Out of seniors contention with his omission from the extended interchange. Hard to tell from 2 minutes of highlights but it looked like he was playing midfield last week.
    17Tommy WALSH132022Missed one week with a shoulder injury, it was bad timing for him as he was an emergency in the week he hurt it and could have been a real chance as Reid's replacement
    18Jesse WHITE10248A key forward goes down and yet White can't even make the extended interchange. With Seaby not named, he'll have to ruck and without any ruckmen in the topups will have to ruck for most of the day with the occasional chop-out from Walsh, Everitt and/or Spangher.
    19Tony ARMSTRONG816(Seniors extended bench) A victim of the strong form of the current Swans' defensive set-up and in particular Malceski's recent purple patch. Will have to bide his time and wait for an opportunity.
    27Matthew SPANGHER81915Was mentioned as a possible replacement for Reid after a good showing against the Suns reserves, but only 2 games into another comeback from a hamstring setback playing him would have been too risky.
    28Dylan McNEIL1568 
    33Jarred MOORE151236His hot run has tapered off only registering one vote in the past 4 games after 35 in the first 11.
    35Campbell HEATH15016Could man up Folau again after Izzy was dropped from the GWS team.
    36Alex BROWN713 
    42Jack LYNCH1578Will need to be at his wily best against some tall timber in the resting ruckman: both Phillips and Downie are 200cm+
    44Harry CUNNINGHAM141016 
    45Nathan GORDON11259(Seniors extended bench)My pick for the traveling emergency.
    Changes
    In: Walsh
    Out:

At least one of the senior emergencies will be traveling to Melbourne as cover, and perhaps another emergency could join him on the plane given the doubts over the fitness of Mumford and Goodes. So while there are 19 listed players in this squad, the number should shrink to 14 and maybe even 13 if extra cover is needed down in Melbourne.

Tom Mitchell and Mark Seaby reportedly one week away from yet another injury comeback whilst poor Shane Biggs seems to be perpetually stuck on 2-3 weeks on the Swans injury list, with a "lower leg" issue. Eugene Kruger is the only other reserves regular out, 1 week with a hamstring problem.

Academy Players/Topups
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    47Jackson POTTER1561 
    ?Lewis BROOME393 
    ?Mitch CRAWFORD500 
    ?Beau HEENEY200 
    ?Jack McKINLAY100 
    ?Dane RAMPE000 
    ?Dylan ROOS110 
    ?Thomas THURGARLAND210 
    Changes
    In: Broome, Crawford, Heeney, McKinlay, Rampe, Roos, Thurgarland
    Out: Jack Davis, Lachlan Kilpatrick, Bradley Plug, Nick Roberts, Sam Tagliabue, Jordan Weir, Stephen Wray

A whole new set of topups, except the one constant in Potter.

Reserves leading goalkickers

• Mitch Morton 64
    • Trent Dennis-Lane 30
    • Nathan Gordon 25

For full list: 2012 Goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters

• Jarred Moore 36
    • Trent Dennis-Lane 28
    • Mark Seaby 24

For full list: 2012 Best Votes - RWOwiki

UWS Giants

B:13. Sam DARLEY36. Jack HOMBSCH42. Mark WHILEY
    HB:22. Shaun EDWARDS47. Josh BRUCE43. Kurt AYLETT
    C:24. Stephen CLIFTON29. Dom TYSON45. Sam SCHULZ
    HF:16. Nathan WILSON20. Adam TOMLINSON19. Nick HAYNES
    F:32. Gerald UGLE22. Tom DOWNIE4. Israel FOLAU
    Foll:27. Andrew PHILLIPS7. Rhys PALMER15. Tim GOLDS
    Int:41. Josh GROWDEN?. Stuart TURNER?.Joe REDFERN
     ?. Liam FLAHERTY?. Zac WILLIAMS 

In: Bruce, Edwards, Folau, Growden, Haynes, Palmer, Tyson, Flaherty, Williams
    Out: Matthew Buntine, Adam Kennedy, P.Green, R.Assan, B.Bara, T.Dhurrkay, L.Narndu, F.Kintari, B.Wharton

7 listed players ins boosts their playing stocks to 19 listed players and with their reserves being the curtain raiser to their seniors game, they won't have to sacrifice any of their 3 emergencies (Folau, Palmer and Hombsch) from their lineup, not until halftime at the very earliest. This is their best lineup for many weeks (as an aside, a few weeks ago in a match against GC both sides only played 16 a side as they struggled to find enough players) and will be a much tougher challenge than the other 2 victories the Swans experienced over them earlier this year.

There is a nice balance between talls (Downie, Phillips, Tomlinson, Bruce, Hombsch, Edwards, Folau) and the smalls but the one aspect lacking is some experience with only Palmer and Clifton the more mature aged of the lot. Expect the Swans to exploit this discrepancy with the likes of Moore, Spangher, White, Everitt and Armstrong possessing multiple years of AFL football under their belt.
    Last edited by ugg; 29th March 2013 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks Ugg. Love your work.

Are you going to the game? We should shout you a pie and a beer for your reports.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For those who are going (purely for the reserves, of course! ) have you opted just for GA or for reserved seats? I know there's not going to be a big crowd, but not really sure what the go is at Skoda and Stella Junior and I are thinking of toddling along.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I bought a GA ticket ($20 specially discounted from $24 for Sheedy's 1000th game!) but I've been told you can move around to the reserved seats without anyone really batting an orange and charcoal eyelid.

I'm planning to toddle along too. Not sure if I'll get there for the ressies as I have the junior sport rounds to make but it's a good opportunity to check out the ground on what is forescast to be a nice afternoon. Hopefully GWS will be semi-competitive.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I'm going with a bloke who has an Achy Breaky HEART and will be sitting in the GWS members. I'll probably get a better seat for the important match of the day at 10.30 though.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What's the pick of the grub, Big Al? I appreciate your traveling partner will simply say the chips, but any other dazzling culinary delights to keep an eye out for?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I hate seeing nicmal on the list.

Does anyone know how far it is to walk from P1 to Skoda? I am a bit dodgy on my legs this week, and if it is too far then I cannot make it. Was told that there was a little train that shuttles you about. Anyone?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I hate seeing nicmal on the list.

Does anyone know how far it is to walk from P1 to Skoda? I am a bit dodgy on my legs this week, and if it is too far then I cannot make it. Was told that there was a little train that shuttles you about. Anyone?
    Judging by the images on google maps.. It looks to be a little more than the walk from P1 to the Brewery, just on the other side.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

P1 is the main one next to the Superdome right? If so, it's not very far. You walk past the Superdome and across the main road (Olympic Boulevard?) and it's pretty much right there.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Ugg thks for your insights. Can you plse keep an eye on Tim Golds from the Giants - i am interested to hear how he goes.

thks

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    What's the pick of the grub, Big Al? I appreciate your traveling partner will simply say the chips, but any other dazzling culinary delights to keep an eye out for?
    They have a Subway which does get quite crowded.
    They also have a Pie place that actually has a decent selection of Pies.
    SKODA also has a sausage joint with lots of different styles to choose from with lashings of onions of course.

.... Or so I've heard.
    Last edited by Big Al; 3rd August 2012 at 06:42 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast