Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kookas in Crisis???

Kookas in Crisis???

Posted on their website, crikey it must be a mess there to put this in the public domain....

"As a Club, we?ve faced a number of pressures these past couple of years; changes of Club administration, finances, player injuries, coaching staff changes, new clubs entering Sydney AFL...the list goes on. Though, in recent weeks, the MUAFC Committee has begun to see that these aren?t the challenges preventing this great club from moving forward, rather, the challenge is ourselves! This EGM has been called to discuss exactly that with all players and members of MUAFC. Moreover, the Committee will explain what?s needed to ensure our Club continues to be successful.

The attendance of all club members is paramount (including persons injured), life members and past players are also welcome to attend.

?What: Extraordinary General Meeting
    ?When: Tuesday 10th July, 6:30pm - 7:30pm
    ?Where: University Oval

Agenda
    - Financial Report
    - Future of club
    - Open Q&A
    - Next steps/actions
    - Closing remarks"

Challenges listed are standard for all clubs. Heard from one of their players that their injury toll was the only reason. That's usually a given anywhere. They have had a few successful years before this and the last so interest is probably lost by some players who haven't been tasting success recently. Wish them the best of luck to get them back on track anyhow. They are blessed with great facilities and seem to be able to attract players judging by clearances, seems keeping them is the problem.

Maybe should affiliate with the Magic!

Heard that they shafted there Under 18's guy during the summer when he was on an operating table after a heart attack. Seems that 50+ Under 18's walked, (gave the game away or went to other clubs) and about the same seniors went as well. I think you can only put it down to incompetence, ego and a total lack of active brain cells. I understand that if there was collectively 1 less brain cell the remaining one would be lonely

from what i am led to believe there EGM was due to getting in a financial mess again 2nd time in 3 years. I suppose they will go cap in hand to the Uni again for a bail out. How much longer will the Uni acceept such enept performances from there officials??

Quote Originally Posted by snow leopard View Post
    from what i am led to believe there EGM was due to getting in a financial mess again 2nd time in 3 years. I suppose they will go cap in hand to the Uni again for a bail out. How much longer will the Uni acceept such enept performances from there officials??
    Not long would be my bet, would be a decent loss to the comp if that club went bust....

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Not long would be my bet, would be a decent loss to the comp if that club went bust....
    Some seriously bad results this weekend for the Kookas. Well beaten in First Grade by bottom of the table Wests, 2nds well beaten and the Thirds who were finalists last year were completely annihalted by Gosford. Add in the mix they have dropped a team from last year.

Clubs can fold very easilly in this city and this has all the makings of a club on a massive slide.....

I think there are clubs in worse position than the Kookas. Clubs have bad years as a result of a number of issues. Sometimes its injury related, sometimes its talent related, sometimes its something else altogether. It happens in the AFL, it happens in the Sydney AFL and it happens in every other sporting competition in the country as well.

Have it on good authority that the meeting was called in order to discuss a plan to pay back the debt to the uni, not go into more debt. If you look on their website there is a major raffle advertised so that makes sense.

With facilities like they have, as well as the backing of a university, you cant imagine that the club is going away anytime soon! Despite the men struggling it looks like their womens team are much improved and their 18s side is giving it a red hot crack atm and may even sneak into the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Footyfan View Post
    I think there are clubs in worse position than the Kookas. Clubs have bad years as a result of a number of issues. Sometimes its injury related, sometimes its talent related, sometimes its something else altogether. It happens in the AFL, it happens in the Sydney AFL and it happens in every other sporting competition in the country as well.

Have it on good authority that the meeting was called in order to discuss a plan to pay back the debt to the uni, not go into more debt. If you look on their website there is a major raffle advertised so that makes sense.

With facilities like they have, as well as the backing of a university, you cant imagine that the club is going away anytime soon! Despite the men struggling it looks like their womens team are much improved and their 18s side is giving it a red hot crack atm and may even sneak into the finals.
    You'd be very surprised just how quickly a club can fold. I'm not privy to the Kookas' goings on but their decline in numbers, results and finances is very worrying. I imagine like all clubs it is a thankless task there for the committee and that they rely on a small core to do all the work. If their committee walks they'll be in massive strife. I imagine the Uni Administration are a nightmare to deal with at the best of times if they are anything like other Unis

All I'll say is watch their next few weeks, if they start imploding on the field they are in trouble big time

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Some seriously bad results this weekend for the Kookas. Well beaten in First Grade by bottom of the table Wests, 2nds well beaten and the Thirds who were finalists last year were completely annihalted by Gosford. Add in the mix they have dropped a team from last year.

Clubs can fold very easilly in this city and this has all the makings of a club on a massive slide.....
    You underestimate the will of clubs to survive. Especially one with a proud history like Macquarie Uni.

The bolded statement may have applied 20 odd years ago in Sydney, I'm not so sure it applies in the current day and age.

As for the bad losses, clubs have endured that scenario for years in Sydney and still managed to survive.

My understanding (happy to be corrected) is that the club had an horrific injury toll, which meant the need to drop the bottom side. If so, it would have also affected the strength of all grades.

Given that, it is hardly a surprise to see that the club's third senior side got flogged by a club fielding only one side and sitting on top of the ladder with a percentage of nearly 300. Irrespective of where they may have finished last year.

At the end of the day, you are talking about a club that is still fielding 3 senior sides, an Under 18 side and a womens' side.

Talk of folding is quite premature at this stage and pretty unnecessary imo.

Hope you are right......

Agree with MOP, Mac Uni have had a pretty horrific run of injuries - season ending injuries, not just week to week propositions. Add to that a fairly high player turnover in the off-season (lost 14 players to Blacktown Magic), they've had a tough season. Far from crisis I believe though.

Earlier in the season, when Mac Uni were at fairly full strength, our Div 1 side were absolutely belted out at University Oval. They've been able to play some younger guys in Div 1 this year due to their injuries, and these guys will be better players for it. Even now, they are still playing competitive football. I have no doubt they will bounce back next season.
    In every game there is going to be a cross-road, and when you get to that cross-road you either step up, or you step down!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast