Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round 20: Hills Eagles v Sydney Swans Reserves

Lamb a possible in this week? Been hoping he can make his debut this. Year and seems to have strung a few solid performances together.

Quote Originally Posted by ABloodsMan View Post
    Lamb a possible in this week? Been hoping he can make his debut this. Year and seems to have strung a few solid performances together.
    If you look up the Jed Lamb fan club you'll see that the president is a cute albeit plump member of RWO and even he can't make a case for Jed just yet. Last week was his best game of the year after what has been a disappointing year. Next year after a solid preseason will be when we see the best of Chops.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

In relation to the question of who could be potential inclusions into the seniors, I only see Morton and Spangher, at the moment with Lamb a long shot for this year.
    Morton's effort was good and I could see him as a potential swap for TDL.
    Spangher looked good and may be able to provide something if needed in the firsts but barring injury there doesn't appear to be a spot unless it was a swap for TDL. Perhaps a better option than Morton for TDL's spot although it would possibly change the balance more
    Lamb looked really good but will have to wait till next year.

Veteran Site Admin
    I thought this was a terrific game to watch - far more entertaining than the lopsided scoreboard suggests. Even though the Eagles were outclassed, they had a real dip in the midfield and did plenty of chasing and harrassing. They just couldn't string together enough passes to regularly get the ball into their forward line.

The second half, in particular, was a furiously paced spectacle, with the Swans swarming in numbers, using lots of short handpassing to try and find space. I was highly impressed by all the top-ups who were able to stay with the pace and contribute to this attempted rapid movement of the ball, despite the fact they obviously don't have the same advantages of training full time with the squad. Sure, they got knocked off the ball at times, and fumbled a bit, but as the game got quicker, so they looked more comfortable. Daniel Robinson was probably the best of them. He is very much in the mold of Hannebery, physically as well as game style. He is not overly quick but he runs hard, finds space, has neat enough skills and looks comfortable at this level. Stephen Wray is a little taller but is composed and kicks well. This pair have been playing with the reserves for the last year and a half and I think are still the two most likely to find their way onto the list next year (probably rookie list). Jack's pedigree might get him there too, but he has a fair bit further to go standard wise (and physically too - he is still pretty skinny).

As far as the current listed players go there was plenty to like as well. Walsh and Spangher took it in turns to parade around, controlling the forward line. Walsh's main limitation is that he lacks just a smidgeon of pace, which will be more of an issue at senior level, but he showed a strong set of hands on pressured leads. Spangher's marks were a bit more acrobatic, with a few off-balance juggled marks where he got an initial touch and then finished it off as he fell to ground. Both of them converted pretty well in blustery conditions. Morton chipped in with a goal in each of the first three quarters, and then a final quarter hatrick. He seems to have got the message that he can't just stay parked in the forward line but also needs to work further down the ground.

At the other end, both Heath and Lynch were cool and in control. Lynch, in particular, has improved noticeably in recent games. He has a real air of confidence about him. They are both a bit on the short side to make it as true KPDs at senior level (though so was Craig Bolton and it didn't stop him). But they may well each have the tools to play that "third tall" defender role in time. They are good one on one but also read the play well and aren't scared to zone off. I'll be very surprised if Lynch doesn't get a second year on the list. I really hope Heath keeps his spot too after a continuous season of consistent form and no injuries.

This was the game I've been most impressed with Brown in. (I didn't see the two games that Maxfield commended him for, his first two games.) He was probably playing as a half-back flanker, pushing up to the wings at time. He has a bit of an ungainly running style but he looks athletic and reasonably quick, and was involved in some good reflex play.

As the scoreboard suggests, we had plenty of goers through the midfield. I didn't think Moore was as dominant as he has been in other games, but maybe that just reflects the contribution of others (including all the toppies). He was still very soild. Meredith and Lamb were busy too - the best four quarter game I've seen from Meredith this year, while I wonder if Lamb was troubled earlier in the year with some niggles, because he has looked rejuventated in the last month or so.

Cunningham needs to get a little cleaner with his hands, but I love the way he hunches his shoulders, charges into contests and hunts the ball.

All in all a very enjoyable precursor to the main "entertainment" of the afternoon / evening.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not a comprehensive report this week, half my brain was frozen due to the winds and chill and the other half subconsciously switched off when the Hills Eagles put up little resistance in the first quarter and we kicked the first 8 goals straight before they even had an inside 50. They were much better after quarter time, no doubt after a bake from their coach but were still well outclassed by the Swans who to their credit kept playing to their structures despite the gulf between the two sides.

• Walsh played out of the goalsquare at FF with Spangher CHF and Morton patrolling the half forward area. Walsh was dominant early and had 5 on the board at half time. Spangher replicated Walsh's effort in the second half and had 3 in a purple patch in the 3rd quarter. Walsh was again a reliable leading target in the forward half taking many marks on the lead, while Spangher won more of his marks through strength in holding his ground and outmuscling his man. They were both really good but the standard of opposition must be taken into account as well as the fact that their defenders weren't as big as Walsh and Spangher.
    • Morton did his usual damage on the scoreboard but it was noticeable he was playing a little further up the ground instead of his usual position camped deep in the forward 50. He even managed to contest a few centre bounces near the end.
    • Gordon started in a different role, in deep defence on one of their better players in Ross Tungatalum. However when it was clear that the Eagles were struggling to get the ball up to Tungatalum, he played loose man in defence for a while as the coaches were comfortable enough in letting a topup mark Tungatalum instead. Gordon moved up the ground later on.
    • Lamb played a lot more in the midfield than in the previous week and was effective in the clearances by getting first hands on the ball thanks to White's ruckwork. He's starting to show the skills and endeavour that were sorely missing earlier this season and why he was our first selection in the draft 3 years ago. But I think he has to back these kinds of games up a few time before he gets considered for a senior berth. Meredith also played mostly in the midfield and not as much in defence. Again he was solid without being dominant, just doing enough at this level to get by without ever starring.
    • White again rucked most of the game and kicked a monster goal from 50, Spangher and Walsh took some of the forward 50 throw-ins but not much else. It may be premature to wonder whether we've seen the last of him as a pure forward because of the lack of other ruck options in the reserves side at the moment but his contributions in the past few weeks as ruckman dwarf the games he's played as a key forward.
    • Brown not too many touches but again I like what I've seen of him. Perhaps it's the fact that he had no pre-season and is only starting to feel comfortable being in the team but it feels like he's happy to do what's required, leaving the more experienced players to lead the way. I feel he would respond if asked to undertake more responsibility perhaps some run and carry from defence instead of just kicking it (which is an excellent part of his game btw). In any case I definitely like what we've picked up with another late draft pick.
    • Of the topups I thought Plug (#54) was the standout with Robinson (#51) also very good. Plug has some skills and plays with a bit of flair as well, Robinson has been a topup for a few years and his experience showed, used all round the ground including a stint near the end in the midfield. Thurgarland (#56) on the wing and Roebuck (#50) in defence were solid as well. Heeney (#55), Roos (#53), Sertbas (#58), Wray (#52) and Jack (#57) were the others as listed on the scoreboard (yay for ANZ)

That was the last home reserves game for the year (sob) with the Ressies rounding off the regular season next week going to Brisbane to play the Lions Reserves. The NEAFL finals series starts next week. Queanbeyan's win against Eastlake yesterday has basically assured them of the minor premiership as they face bottom side Tuggeranong in the last round, the Hawks having only won 1 game the whole year so an upset is very unlikely. However I don't think the Swans will be too perturbed at not finishing top of the ladder as with the new Top 5 Finals system , the minor premiers get the first week of the finals off which would be detrimental to chances of any of the fringe players hoping to break into the side as the AFL Finals approaches.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    If you look up the Jed Lamb fan club you'll see that the president is a cute albeit plump member of RWO and even he can't make a case for Jed just yet.
    I hope Triple B tries hard and gets him into the side before finals.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

I liked Lambchop's game, he was very hard at it and clever at getting the ball out and following up. I don't agree Al I think the lad is ready and primed Lamb!!! If Sam doesn't come back in I would opt for Jesse, Mitch and Lambchop for the Seniors. I believe Goodsie is injured, he has to be not to chase, he always chases until he is bushed.

By the way I love Lynch & Heath, both are a bit on the short side unfortunately but strong and Heath is very clever and turning into Teddy! I don't know what Teddy is going to do when he does.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I liked Lambchop's game, he was very hard at it and clever at getting the ball out and following up. I don't agree Al I think the lad is ready and primed Lamb!!! If Sam doesn't come back in I would opt for Jesse, Mitch and Lambchop for the Seniors. I believe Goodsie is injured, he has to be not to chase, he always chases until he is bushed.
    His first decent 4 qtr effort this year was only last week against the Giants and while I'm confident Lamb will make the grade it just won't be his year. If he can have an uninterrupted preseason I'm sure the rest of RWO will get see the best of him.

I'm happy for Morton or Spangher to get a gig soon but we've been down the Jesse White road before and it's a road full of pot holes and the bridge is out halfway along. Einstein said the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. That's a no to Jesse for me just in case I wasn't clear.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Einstein said the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Is that who said that. I've been crediting my plumber for years. After all he has to deal with people doing the same thing over and over again.

I'd like to see Tiberius Spangher back next weekend.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12