Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Rohan

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Nah.
    Gaz is more than happy to stay in Sydney for as long as we want him.
    He told me.
    Exactly what I'd expect a player to say to a fan. He's not exactly going to say "yep, I can't wait to get out of the joint but keep that to yourself"
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Nah.
    Gaz is more than happy to stay in Sydney for as long as we want him.
    He told me.
    Hope so, i think the days are gone were good players would go home back to melbourne. I think we create a culture that helps keep the younger future stars at the swans.
    It is a massive injury though and if anyone can come back from it, from what i have heard it is him.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's due to start running in October, so there's no reason he won't be ready to go by March.
    That is very optimistic. Even if he is back by round 1, I wouldn't expect to see much from him for the first half of the year at least. An injury that severe (oops! nearly wrote "sever") takes 18-24 months to fully recover from.

It seems a long time ago that he broke his leg and to hear that he is only now walking laps shows what a long road he has to go. Every interview I have heard from him though he has had a really positive, enthusiastic attitude so the future is bright.

And I am optimistic in the long run - I think he can come back just as strong and fast as ever. Medicine has come a long way since these types of injuries ended a player's career.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    That is very optimistic. Even if he is back by round 1, I wouldn't expect to see much from him for the first half of the year at least. An injury that severe (oops! nearly wrote "sever") takes 18-24 months to fully recover from.

It seems a long time ago that he broke his leg and to hear that he is only now walking laps shows what a long road he has to go. Every interview I have heard from him though he has had a really positive, enthusiastic attitude so the future is bright.

And I am optimistic in the long run - I think he can come back just as strong and fast as ever. Medicine has come a long way since these types of injuries ended a player's career.
    I agree with this - someone like Michael Barlow as a recent example seemed to take a long time to get back to his best after his nasty break. I think Gazza was still going to be learning the ropes of being a professional footballer this year, so although this injury has obviously been a big setback, hopefully all the hanging around the club that he seems to have been doing will help mould him as a player. I reckon he'd also be pretty envious of the success the boys have been enjoying and also in seeing the continued development of his peers such as Jetta, Hannebury and Parker. I would expect not to much from him in the first half of the 2013, and perhaps a few too many NEAFL games for his and our liking when he gets back on the park. If he comes out all guns blazing in the pre-season I'll be stoked, but I'm not expecting it due to the nasty nature of his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post

He talked a while ago about learning from the mistakes other have made coming back from the same injury. One of those mistakes was trying to start running as soon as you are able, instead of rebuilding strength first. I think the rehab plan is to delay running, even if the ankle itself is ready, so we might see him walking for a lot longer. There may be a bit of alter-g thingy action secretly down in the dungeon before we see him out in the open too.

That said, I hope he doesn't rush anything and works steadily back to and beyond his previous speed and fitness. Fingers crossed!!
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkari View Post
    He talked a while ago about learning from the mistakes other have made coming back from the same injury. One of those mistakes was trying to start running as soon as you are able, instead of rebuilding strength first. I think the rehab plan is to delay running, even if the ankle itself is ready, so we might see him walking for a lot longer. There may be a bit of alter-g thingy action secretly down in the dungeon before we see him out in the open too.

That said, I hope he doesn't rush anything and works steadily back to and beyond his previous speed and fitness. Fingers crossed!!
    I dare say he will use that machine quite a fair bit the one that mumford used on swans TV last year the one where you can modify how much weight you need to carry when you are running.

I'm just approaching running now after a spiral tibia/fibula fracture on Xmas eve, and I guess I'll be able to bolt it at full tilt somewhere around 10 months after the injury. Even though his basic injury may be slightly worse, Gary's a fair bit fitter (and younger!) than me with better rehab resources at his disposal.

And I've been able to ride a bike since about June, and swim since about April/May, so there is plenty of scope to get base-level fitness back up again, well before running is possible.

So, basically: even though he might only play half a game in the reserves for the first few weeks of 2013, unless there are unexpected complications I would totally expect him to be pushing up towards firsts again, within the first half of the 2013 season. Great player; really looking forward to seeing him back in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Kirk View Post
    I dare say he will use that machine quite a fair bit the one that mumford used on swans TV last year the one where you can modify how much weight you need to carry when you are running.
    I thought about getting one of those machines myself but the manufacturer said the machine couldn't perform miracles.

Yes, Gaz will be using that machine quite extensively I'd imagine.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I'm just approaching running now after a spiral tibia/fibula fracture on Xmas eve,
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I thought about getting one of those machines myself but the manufacturer said the machine couldn't perform miracles.
    You could try one for each leg Al.......

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Exactly what I'd expect a player to say to a fan. He's not exactly going to say "yep, I can't wait to get out of the joint but keep that to yourself"
    So true.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12