Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Round 21: Brisbane Lions Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Isn't going via the M5 a roundabout way.
    100kph most of the way, no traffic, stress free trip.

Goes up to 11
    See the response I got from the NEAFL (AFL NSW/ACT):

Thanks for your email.

All clubs agreed to the new finals system implemented this year that would see clubs earning home STATE finals i.e. not home venue finals, which is what the Swans have achieved this year in the NEAFL. This is the first time a final involving the Swans Reserves will be played in Sydney which in itself is a good outcome for Swans fans. We did of course consider a curtain raiser but due to a number of factors, all parties including both clubs agreed Blacktown was the best option for this weeks game. Clearly, the reason the game is an 11.45am start is to give people wishing to attend the AFL match at the SCG a chance to make their way over there.

The NEAFL game will be finished by 2.20pm, 2 hours and 20 minutes before the start of the AFL game. Again, I reiterate, all parties agreed to this outcome.

Also, for your info, due to AFL scheduling constraints, all curtain raisers need to be finished at least one hour before the start of an AFL game. This has unfortunately meant the NEAFL curtain raisers have a very small crowd.

I have received a number of emails about the scheduling of this game (some were border line abusive which I will not be responding to) however you have put a very courteous email to me and I am replying in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    See the response I got from the NEAFL (AFL NSW/ACT):

Thanks for your email.

All clubs agreed to the new finals system implemented this year that would see clubs earning home STATE finals i.e. not home venue finals, which is what the Swans have achieved this year in the NEAFL. This is the first time a final involving the Swans Reserves will be played in Sydney which in itself is a good outcome for Swans fans. We did of course consider a curtain raiser but due to a number of factors, all parties including both clubs agreed Blacktown was the best option for this weeks game. Clearly, the reason the game is an 11.45am start is to give people wishing to attend the AFL match at the SCG a chance to make their way over there.

The NEAFL game will be finished by 2.20pm, 2 hours and 20 minutes before the start of the AFL game. Again, I reiterate, all parties agreed to this outcome.

Also, for your info, due to AFL scheduling constraints, all curtain raisers need to be finished at least one hour before the start of an AFL game. This has unfortunately meant the NEAFL curtain raisers have a very small crowd.

I have received a number of emails about the scheduling of this game (some were border line abusive which I will not be responding to) however you have put a very courteous email to me and I am replying in kind.
    A few people could learn from this. If you make a polite enquiry, you are much more likely to get a polite blow off...

FYI, if you contact the NEAFL, provided that you are not "borderline abusive" you should get a response!

I did.

Briefly, biggest factor for unscheduled curtain raiser was cost, they were quoted "five figures" by SCG trust. Both teams were consulted about it, but did not suit either club (not sure what that means?). This is the first Swans Sydney Final for years, so that's good (...hmm, may as well be at Manuka!). The whole concept is under continuing review. Constructive feedback is encouraged.

Well at least they know that someone cares ... don't expect much to change though!

Sorry ... didn't see jono and burt's posts ... ditto!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    A few people could learn from this. If you make a polite enquiry, you are much more likely to get a polite blow off...
    Glad I got a response anyway - just remember you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.... Of course its too late to move the game but a few emails into Swan and NEAFL inboxes from concerned fans might make them think twice when making similar scheduling decisions in future....

We need a second footy ground closer to the SCG! Heck Skoda could have even been a better option???

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Glad I got a response anyway - just remember you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.... Of course its too late to move the game but a few emails into Swan and NEAFL inboxes from concerned fans might make them think twice when making similar scheduling decisions in future....

We need a second footy ground closer to the SCG! Heck Skoda could have even been a better option???
    They might have played it on a Sunday so lots of us could go. How the hell they think most people are going to get from Blacktown to SCG and still get in if they are RED Zone is beyond me. By the time it finishes and you get public transport from the ground to the Railway Station and then get a train to Central and then a bus to SCG that is 2.5hours there alone. By the time I could get there I wouldn't be able to go in because all of RED Zone would be full. Bloody stupid!

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Incredibly disappointing crowd IMO. There were about 10 people there to watch the Swans and then some players parents (TDLs Dad shouts louder than Stewie).
    As for Ainslie, probably about the same amount. Okay only slight exaggerating. Maybe 50 people all up that were pure spectators and not involved with either club.
    Just made it back to the SCG and got such a shock at the line up to get into the ground. WOW. The last time I recall it being that busy was Geelong final in 2005.
    Got to our seats in time for the bounce. PHEW!
    If the AFL is serious about growing AFL in NSW then maximising the viewing audience is a must. This should have been a curtain raiser and the AFL should have stumped up the cash required for both teams to play at the SCG. You've got to take the game to the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Incredibly disappointing crowd IMO. There were about 10 people there to watch the Swans and then some players parents (TDLs Dad shouts louder than Stewie).
    As for Ainslie, probably about the same amount. Okay only slight exaggerating. Maybe 50 people all up that were pure spectators and not involved with either club.
    Just made it back to the SCG and got such a shock at the line up to get into the ground. WOW. The last time I recall it being that busy was Geelong final in 2005.
    Got to our seats in time for the bounce. PHEW!
    If the AFL is serious about growing AFL in NSW then maximising the viewing audience is a must. This should have been a curtain raiser and the AFL should have stumped up the cash required for both teams to play at the SCG. You've got to take the game to the people.
    While I completely agree with your sentiment Lucky, to have had it as a curtain raiser to a sold out game would have been great for us as Swans fans but not really fair to Ainslie and their supporters, even if there were only fifty of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    While I completely agree with your sentiment Lucky, to have had it as a curtain raiser to a sold out game would have been great for us as Swans fans but not really fair to Ainslie and their supporters, even if there were only fifty of them.
    Why wouldn't Ainslie want to play in front of a crowd that built to 30k+ at the SCG?
    For the record there were about 50 in total spectating across both teams and I'm being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Why wouldn't Ainslie want to play in front of a crowd that built to 30k+ at the SCG?
    For the record there were about 50 in total spectating across both teams and I'm being generous.
    But what about the families of the Ainslie players who would have liked to see their husbands/BFs/Sons play?

Blog Entries
    But what about the families of the Ainslie players who would have liked to see their husbands/BFs/Sons play?
    Well they weren't there at BOP yesterday Jewels but I can't see why they couldn't have gone to the SCG to watch.
    There weren't 30K people there at 11.45 were there?

The Ainslie parents, etc., were at the SCG minding seats for the players ... most of them are Swans fans themselves!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456