Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How good was Mike Pyke today?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Here's an interesting question, would Mike Pyke have made it if he came into the league today as opposed to 3 years ago?

I came up with this question whilst reading through the article on afl.com.au about whether Folau is going to make it in our game, and how Sheedy used Pyke as the example to follow and how it took Pykey four years to succeed. We also had Pyke featured during the half time (pre-recorded) interview where he told Tom Harley that in his first year the coaches told him to concentrate solely on the hitouts. When he was first selected in 2009, the interchange was in the old 4 on the bench sytem and hence we could afford the luxury of having a 2nd ruckman who spent most of his time resting on the bench rather than in the forward line. It's hard to imagine that any team could afford such a luxury now with the 3+1 system and hence it would have been extremely unlikely that we could carry a "1st year Pyke" whose job was solely to win his hitouts.

Also in the post match presso, Longmire was asked about Pykey's form and he said that if someone had asked him at the beginning of the year whether the Swans could play 2 ruckmen he would have said no. So it's a testament to Pykey's improvement and consistency that he's been able to change Horse's view on the structure of the team.
    Good question but rucks are evolving fast. The game went from two rucks to one last year. This year the league has gone tall crazy: we've got three talls plus a ruckman in our forward line. So I think he'd get a go now, just like Alex Starling is going to get a go.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am actually getting a little sick of the commentators going on about how great he is every time he takes a mark or kicks a goal, as if it is still a surprise. And while I don't dispute he has improved this year, I don't think it is by as much as some suggest. He was showing excellent signs at the end of 2010 - remember his performance in the Carlton final? - and looked good early last year before injury ruined his year. He has been a bona-fide footballer for a couple of years and deserves to be recognised as such.
    All true and would have played more games last year but for injury. I think he has the added bonus of pace for a big man and must have done considerable work to build his tank from the early days of tap work. More credit to him
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    His work in the forward line today, marking of course but his contesting and keeping the ball in was excellent, not a great defence against him of course, but as stated by everyone else here, he really looks like a footballer.
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Goes up to 11
    The main difference between Mike and Izzy is IQ - Mike seems to play with plenty of smarts for someone coming from where he came from; Izzy hasn't yet shown that he's learnt much. I think the Izzy experiment is a long way from working, whilst Mike is doing his thing really well and sticking it to the 'experts' who thought he'd never amount to anything. Gotta like Pyke...

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    The main difference between Mike and Izzy is IQ - Mike seems to play with plenty of smarts for someone coming from where he came from; Izzy hasn't yet shown that he's learnt much. I think the Izzy experiment is a long way from working, whilst Mike is doing his thing really well and sticking it to the 'experts' who thought he'd never amount to anything. Gotta like Pyke...
    Pyke had the advantage of being allowed to develop in the reserves, and there was never any spotlight on him, or expectations of him. Folau might have the capacity to become a good AFL player in time (and the way some media pundits have written him off already really irritiates me) but it is very tough on trying to learn while playing at the top level and in such an inexperienced team.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Longmire's take on Pyke: "His ability to learn is probably second to none."
    Here: One Dog no match for Swans
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Here's an interesting question, would Mike Pyke have made it if he came into the league today as opposed to 3 years ago?

I came up with this question whilst reading through the article on afl.com.au about whether Folau is going to make it in our game, and how Sheedy used Pyke as the example to follow and how it took Pykey four years to succeed. We also had Pyke featured during the half time (pre-recorded) interview where he told Tom Harley that in his first year the coaches told him to concentrate solely on the hitouts. When he was first selected in 2009, the interchange was in the old 4 on the bench sytem and hence we could afford the luxury of having a 2nd ruckman who spent most of his time resting on the bench rather than in the forward line. It's hard to imagine that any team could afford such a luxury now with the 3+1 system and hence it would have been extremely unlikely that we could carry a "1st year Pyke" whose job was solely to win his hitouts.

Also in the post match presso, Longmire was asked about Pykey's form and he said that if someone had asked him at the beginning of the year whether the Swans could play 2 ruckmen he would have said no. So it's a testament to Pykey's improvement and consistency that he's been able to change Horse's view on the structure of the team.

Izzy article - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...6/default.aspx

Oh and to answer ScottH's orignal question, pretty darn good. I love the way he charges into the packs and takes the contested mark.
    They discussed Folau on MMM on the way to the game. Carey said "he's a great league player". End of story.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Good news!!

I loved a comment made during the 1/2 time pre-recorded interview yesterday. Mike confirmed that, at his signing, Roos told him that he actually expected he (Pyke) would not become a successful AFL player. They were giving him a contract, but it was going to be that difficult.

It just confirms what a quality team we support. The coaches and administration are willing to take risks; the response by re-cycled players and this Canadian convert difficulties into successes.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Thank gawd/dess/es/Elvis! I was just rushing RWO-ward to see if there was any news. I was v. worried last night when he hobbled off the field.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Pyke had the advantage of being allowed to develop in the reserves, and there was never any spotlight on him, or expectations of him. Folau might have the capacity to become a good AFL player in time (and the way some media pundits have written him off already really irritiates me) but it is very tough on trying to learn while playing at the top level and in such an inexperienced team.
    Agreed, but in comparison to Karmichael Hunt, Izzy seems to be lacking that real killer attitude and he doesn't really seem to want to be there. I have loved what Karmichael has done this year and he's made real progress, and what's more he looks like he wants to make it in the game. Pykey has been the same - he's taken to the game with a great combination of desire and a willingness to learn. I haven't seen that from Izzy yet which is probably what is disappointing so many people at this stage.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast