Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How good was Mike Pyke today?

Folau will not be released from his AFL contract next year. The AFL love this media attention.

And it will pay off big time, if he comes good. No one can make any calls about Folau until after 2013. Many people have been made to look foolish going early on K Hunt, and M Pyke. It takes time.

Pleasing news that his twist shouldn't keep him out of next weeks game..

I can only agree, that he is a successful addition to our game. (And that I am impressed with his improvement and genuine skills!)

Rod

Folau is an interesting case. Pyke and Hunt in crossing over appeared to have a genuine desire to invest the time and effort in learning the game and succeeding. Israel has already admitted that if he was thinking just about himself and not his family he would still be playing league. Far be it from me to judge, but I just don't think his heart is in it.

Anyway, Pyke's game was brilliant yesterday. I've been critical about our teams ability to take contested marks, but Pyke was a beacon of light in that regard. I love how confident he is up forward and even more so, I love how much of a dick he makes BT look with every game. His refusal to apologise shows how much of an arsehole he really is.

Veterans List
    What no one has mentioned about Mike is this.....he kicks accurately because he didn't have bad habits coming into our sport. The height of his kicks at goal is not high but he has learned to kick straight. He drops and strikes the ball correctly. If he is 30 metres out in a GF, and after the siren needs to nail the goal, I'd be much happier that he has it than Goodes.

When I learned to play footy many moons ago you were taught to move the ball on. Whether that be a handball in front of you, tap on or kick to space then chase if there is no other option etc. In the 90's coaching Auskick all of a sudden the vogue was to take possession regardless of the situation to deny the opposition possession. There was a drill of tapping the ball infront of you and learning to control the footy in front of you on both sides of the body. Guess what, that drill was deleted. Watch Mike....when he marks he is always looking for the handball or to move it on. That deft tap to LRT in the last quarter was Skilton type stuff. He couldn't take clean possession so opened up the forward 30 for LRT. Why does he take marks in the forward line....because heplays in front. That mark he took running back in the forward line in the 3rd quarter was smart play because he gave our player a spot to kick it to. He does the old fashioned stuff because he is smart and reads the game well and he doesn't have his brain clogged up with preconceived ideas. He plays a simple commonsense game that works.

Not that we needed proof but every time Pyke does well it just proves what a complete wanker Brian Taylor is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Not that we needed proof but every time Pyke does well it just proves what a complete wanker Brian Taylor is.
    If you had watched the game last week on TV instead of pretending to be a brass monkey, Luke Darcy tried to get him to apologise for his comments every time Pyke got the ball.
    Didn't happen.

Veterans List
    BT reminds me of a dead bear with it's head up it's bum.

Discussing Pykey during the match yesterday I posed the question, "How good would this guy be if he had grown up playing Aussie Rules footy?" It's almost scary......except hes's wearing red and white.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Discussing Pykey during the match yesterday I posed the question, "How good would this guy be if he had grown up playing Aussie Rules footy?" It's almost scary......except hes's wearing red and white.
    Think about the bad habits he doesn't have. Playing pure, simple and thinking footy.

By the way Mummy was pretty good yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Think about the bad habits he doesn't have. Playing pure, simple and thinking footy.

By the way Mummy was pretty good yesterday.
    Minson was beating Mummy in the first quarter, and only Pyke was able to break even.

Later in the match Mummy adopted a different ruck tactic of not running in, but blocking Minson leap, which saw him get on top.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    If you had watched the game last week on TV instead of pretending to be a brass monkey, Luke Darcy tried to get him to apologise for his comments every time Pyke got the ball.
    Didn't happen.
    He was at home under his doona !!!!!

Even the Cypress kids braved the elements. More to irritate Wardy than watch the game.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Regular in the Side
    Despite being an elite athlete, Pyke has a lot of focus. He seems someone who was intent on making it and has committed himself fully to the cause. I think opposition teams have been caught out by how good he is. Also, when he, Ried and LRT are all rotating forward, that is a lot of talls to match up on.

Pyke and LRT were both outstanding yesterday and both deserve votes (in the TLM).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast