Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How good was Mike Pyke today?

I sit next to an older lady who lived in Canada for a number of years and she raves about Pykey every time he goes near the ball. I think if she was 30 years younger she might want to [insert your own thought here]
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Ok, I'll have a go Big Al

I sit next to an older lady who lived in Canada for a number of years and she raves about Pykey every time he goes near the ball. I think if she was 30 years younger she might want to [adopt him and marry me]

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I sit next to an older lady who lived in Canada for a number of years and she raves about Pykey every time he goes near the ball. I think if she was 30 years younger she might want to [insert your own thought here]
    That's terrible Big Al. You're bringing the moral standard of RWO right down. Next we'll be doing the wee poo jokes. Oh, did those last week.....................

I think if she was 30 years younger she might want to pork him. With some Canadian bacon.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Set to become the first ever player to score a try vs All Blacks AND kick a goal in an AFL grand final.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    The main difference between Mike and Izzy is IQ - Mike seems to play with plenty of smarts for someone coming from where he came from; Izzy hasn't yet shown that he's learnt much. I think the Izzy experiment is a long way from working, whilst Mike is doing his thing really well and sticking it to the 'experts' who thought he'd never amount to anything. Gotta like Pyke...
    Great point Jono. I think Pyke is all about what goes on from him upstairs, seems to read the game really well. On many occasions this season he has been i the right place at the right time in an instinctive way. You can't teach that, it all comes down to the way the player reads the game. A good example is where he set up LRT's snap goal in the 2nd qtr yesterday. He tales team instruction and applies thought and competetive instinct to put himself in the right position.

Add to all that he is really really quick for a big guy, and has great marking skills.

The last thing, he really loves playing this game, you can see that he is committed to being the best he can be!
    "We talked five times. I called him twice, and he called me twice."

Eddie McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Agreed, but in comparison to Karmichael Hunt, Izzy seems to be lacking that real killer attitude and he doesn't really seem to want to be there. I have loved what Karmichael has done this year and he's made real progress, and what's more he looks like he wants to make it in the game. Pykey has been the same - he's taken to the game with a great combination of desire and a willingness to learn. I haven't seen that from Izzy yet which is probably what is disappointing so many people at this stage.
    To make that call you must have watched a fair bit Folou play this year. Must be closet GWS fan eh Jono.
    Last edited by Big Al; 20th August 2012 at 08:33 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

To make that call you must have watched fair bit Folou play this year. Must be closet GWS fan eh Jono.
    ha ha.

Goes up to 11
    To make that call you must have watched a fair bit Folou play this year. Must be closet GWS fan eh Jono.
    Nah I get an Izzy highlights package sent to me each week. It's usually a blank disk....

I have watched him play a fair few times this year - as a league fan I am interested to see how he fares, and although no one has been expecting miracles, he really doesn't look like he wants it badly enough.

I still think that Izzy wasn't the first choice GWS league recruit - Jarryd Hayne would have made a better convert. The right recruits with the right attitude can make it in AFL...

A thing that people tend to forget about rugby converts like Mike (I'm talking rugby union not rugby league) is that rugby players tend to kick the ball in play more often, particularly fullbacks. Therefore kicking a footy would not have been as foreign to Mike as a lot of people make out. Different, I know, but the idea of kicking whilst on the run would have been a concept reasonably familar to him.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am actually getting a little sick of the commentators going on about how great he is every time he takes a mark or kicks a goal, as if it is still a surprise. And while I don't dispute he has improved this year, I don't think it is by as much as some suggest. He was showing excellent signs at the end of 2010 - remember his performance in the Carlton final? - and looked good early last year before injury ruined his year. He has been a bona-fide footballer for a couple of years and deserves to be recognised as such.
    This is correct.
    Because it is what I think.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

He would have had a very good mentor in LRT who also came from a union background. As did Playfair.

So I'm sure they helped him with reading the play. However, Mike has the ability to work it out for himself. Although they kick in union on the run, the ball is much fatter, they don't kick to a target and they don't drop the ball on their foot as you do in Aussie Rules. So Mike would have put in alot of time to learn that.

Folau on the other hand has no one to mentor him with the same background and probably doesn't have Mike's footy brain. He was pretty bad on the weekend and like the Etihad surface there was little mention of Folau's future today.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Next we'll be doing the wee poo jokes. Oh, did those last week......
    I thought Hawthorn was this week !

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I thought Hawthorn was this week !
    Started with the reference last week as the changes thread went up a week early.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast