Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEAFL - Thoughts on Year 1?

Quote Originally Posted by chatovadafloor View Post
    Mr Kenneth of the Lions. How would you rate your first year coaching in the interim while the Eagles players are busy preparing for finals?

What do you think are the reasons for going backwards in such a big way after being talked as the big improvers in 2012?

Have you struggled in the playing coach role with only a 10 goal return from 15 games in comparison to your 30 goals last season and do you think that your best football might be behind you?

How do you think you have measured up in terms of performance against former Lions Coach and Coach of the Year Trevor Burnett?

How do you think your players have measured your performance against Trevor?

Do you think you have spent too much time on forums such as this instead of putting your time into getting the best result for the Lions?

And finally do you think Chris Scott, Alistair Clarkson or even Kade Klemke from Queanbeyan spend time fishing or questioning other clubs, players and coaches on online forums?

On the NEAFL first year, I think finals is a great achievement for one club, Uni may of struggled but I am sure that they would of relished the better standard of football which is in the NEAFL.
    - Your Premier division team is not playig finals, just like ours

- its tough to poach/recruit players to the Gong, its a lot easier for Sydney based to teams to recruit as most players have played at more than one club

- Kenny has enjoyed the role and dont be fooled by goal output. Our coach, unlike current and past coaches doesnt encourage putting themselves in the best. No ego's down here. However he has been over-ruled on occassions when he has played exceptionally well

- As stated before, im not the coach so i can post as much as i like. It would be pretty ignorant of yourself if you didnt think a lot of the poeple on here arent coaches.

- Players have given positive feedback, however lets see if i make it through mad monday

Also agree it is a great effort SHE to make the finals in year one. I was asking for feedback on how they have found it, was the travel more or less than expected, how it has been received by the players, etc.

Flip side is im sure the Uni guys are enjoying walloped by 100+ points most week and whether they will start paying players to entice them to the club.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northernspy View Post
    Also, there is a clause with AFL matches that the ground needs to be cleared with a certain amount of time between games. With some of the games played by the swans this year running into the 30 goals, it has meant some serious shortening of final quarters to be done. Of course, you cant have this happen in a finals game.
    Used to be the case (had one game blow the full time siren with 19min on the clock in the final quarter) but they start the Reserves games earlier this year and there's been a long break between the two games.

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Also for a final, the NEAFL would want to collect an admission fee; if they were to play as an AFL curtain raiser they wouldn't get anything on the gate. Presumably the Swans would get the canteen if they can be bothered opening it.

Having said that, there'll probably be bigger crowds at Gore Hill and Village Green on Saturday than Blacktown.

... if the whole thing were no so absurd

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    ... if the whole thing were no so absurd
    It's a complete joke!!!

How anyone can say the NEAFL is good for Sydney Football is beyond me. I would also say it is not even good for the club's involved - we all saw what happened with C'Town and the ACTAFL and I can see the novelty wearing off pretty quick, especially for the Students.

Even the Pathway argument is a joke. How many players have been drafted from the ACTAFL (the stronger of the leagues) before - NONE because even of best kids struggle to get drafted so our cast offs sure as hell aint. Anyone who thinks AFL clubs are scouting Tuggeranong v Syd Uni for some hidden AFL gem are just delusional....

So, we have a comp that has destroyed the SFL (it wasn't great anyway but it was at least OUR comp) with a comp no-one bar the players, their coaches and possibly mums care about at all. You could have the NEAFL GF and the SFL GF on at the same day and I reckon the SFL GF would get double because NO-ONE cares about the NEAFL.....

Jason Tutt (Bulldogs) was drafted from Ainslie, and Josh Bruce (GWS) from Eastlake

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Jason Tutt (Bulldogs) was drafted from Ainslie, and Josh Bruce (GWS) from Eastlake
    In the last how many years?

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Wasn't one James Hird drafted from Ainslie?
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carn the Lions View Post
    In the last how many years?
    Tutt was 2-3 years ago and Bruce as last year. Also Josh's brother Aaron was rookie listed with the Swans in 2007.

Senior Player
    Really, the whole comp was destroyed because two clubs sent one each of their many teams into another league.
    You don't think that's a bit of an overstatement. I'm sure the guys playing in the PD Grand Final in 5 weeks time
    won't be thinking about NEAFL at all, or thinking they are playing in a "destroyed" comp.
    I think a few people posting here forget that for the vast majority of people in Sydney now, Australian Rules footy begins and
    ends with the Sydney Swans AFL team. They are never going to be interested in the SFL or NEAFL. I think in 10 or 15 years
    when the kids playing junior footy now become adults then interest in the other tiers of footy will pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    It's a complete joke!!!

How anyone can say the NEAFL is good for Sydney Football is beyond me. I would also say it is not even good for the club's involved - we all saw what happened with C'Town and the ACTAFL and I can see the novelty wearing off pretty quick, especially for the Students.

Even the Pathway argument is a joke. How many players have been drafted from the ACTAFL (the stronger of the leagues) before - NONE because even of best kids struggle to get drafted so our cast offs sure as hell aint. Anyone who thinks AFL clubs are scouting Tuggeranong v Syd Uni for some hidden AFL gem are just delusional....

So, we have a comp that has destroyed the SFL (it wasn't great anyway but it was at least OUR comp) with a comp no-one bar the players, their coaches and possibly mums care about at all. You could have the NEAFL GF and the SFL GF on at the same day and I reckon the SFL GF would get double because NO-ONE cares about the NEAFL.....

A second elite tier of competition is a great concept, and should be a huge benefit to the code in Sydney, and they should have been doing everything to promote it.

The problem is with the farcical structure and implementation - 2 Sydney "club sides" that attract zero patronage from the wider Sydney market (and little more internally!) get thrown in.

Then there is the Keystone Kops administration - see how many games were NOT played as AFL curtain raisers/moved with virtually no notice, etc ... this Saturday is a superb example.

It is as if they have set it all up with the expectation that absolutely no one who follows AFL will have an interest, and those who do will turn up no matter what rubbish they are served up ... so who cares!?

Hands up who will be cheering if SHE wins the NEAFL ... hands up if you will bother looking up the results?

On the Rookie List
    I have taken the original question at face value.
    From a Uni perspective, it has been a really challenging year but the response from the player group is really positive. The Premier Division has probably suffered the most.
    There are definitely things that we will do differently next year but feel we are better for the experience. We are not really driven by third party interest but will continue to attempt to get greater input and involvement from our past players and commercial partners. The competition level is in alignment with the greater University's vision for the institution's involvement in high level sport.
    We have never really drawn any great crowds but would like to improve the relationship between our grades as the club continues to expand. It is very challenging particularly given the level of non-player participation is very small.
    The drive to NEAFL primarily came from our top level players, we thought it was an opportunity to be undertaken whilst offered. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Certainly not one to regret after one reasonaly unsuccesful year, not really all that different from when we went from the SFA to SFL in 2007 (Actually when you watch the games the similariies are obvious).
    The travel, the bounce times and the lack of home games, as pointed out, are a problem with both revenue and attendance but once again matters that can be refined.
    I love Oval No.1 but agree it is not up to the requisite standard, there is talk of the University investing money to improve the facility but obviously that won't happen overnight, so other solutions will be examined.
    Ultimately, as per all decisions made by our club, we still consider it is in the best interests of our members to play in the NEAFL. The matter was put to a club plebiscite before we proceeded. We continue to hope our club can provide members the opportunity for tertiary study with the highest level sport they can attain. We also aim to provide a program that will see players acheive as much as they can out of their football.
    The acid test for the NEAFL will be whether the elite players in Sydney embrace the concept in the long run. The decision to use to existing clubs simple as they already have a player list and some type of administration in place.
    The Sydney clubs will survive because people will always love to get together on a Saturday afternoon for a kick. I can assure you footy has been fun at Sydney Uni whether we were in the NEAFL, SFL or SFA and nobody came to watch the SFA.

Senior Player
    good post noodle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast