Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Ainslie Tricolours

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I tried to watch the livestream, truly I did, but it was like watching a patchwork quilt being sewn together. bits and pieces. if they are going to 'livestream' after stuffing up everyone's enjoyment of being able to go the game and cheer the boys on in person, surely a bit more technology could be used. And yes, I have checked, all my thingies are up to date.
    Send them a very polite email, you will likely get a very polite response, saying unlucky, politely though.

Broome and Plug are my top pick of the top ups at the game today. Both very exciting

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Who's Lewis Broome? Is he a rookie or a top-up? He looks really good
    Think Broome a top up. Broome and Plug were my picks of the top ups at the game. Both exciting and looked dangerous each time they got the ball. Great result

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    • Meredith - alternated between defence and an outside midfield role, didn't contest any of the centre bounces. He was particularly prominent in the 2nd quarter when he instigated a lot of the play off the halfback flank, supported his teammates in his follow-up play and was excellent in his ball use and decision making.
    • Dennis-Lane - Went off with an left leg injury (apparently reported as a knee in the live stream?) early in the first quarter. He went off the ground, firstly by hopping on his right leg and then with a heavy limp when he approached the sideline. Pointed to his left leg when the medical guy came over, went down the room and never re-appeared. This was not long after he was penalised for holding the ball when he tried in vain to take on too many tacklers in our forward 50; the injury could have resulted from that incident.
    • Lamb - I would love to see a possession tally as he collected possessions through the midfield at will, particularly in the first half. Instructed to rest in the forward line as the game drew to a close perhaps with next week's final in mind. He's playing with a lot of confidence at the moment, and the difference that it's making to his game is immeasurable.
    • Everitt - 'Dre had a fantastic game playing mostly in an inside midfield role with resting stints as a tall forward. Even had a spell at CHB when Heath went off but once the Swans realised Ainslie were struggling to get the ball into our defensive half, he was swapped back into his usual role. He played with a lot of intensity, tackled, chased and contested balls with intent. There was a worrying moment in the last quarter when he clumsily ran into an Ainslie player with his head down going for the ball and someone said on Twitter that he saw the umpire take down his number. I didn't see that but I hope he isn't suspended because he's in good form at the moment and would be a handy backup for the seniors.
    • Walsh - Lost count of the number of times he took a mark on the lead but frustratingly could only convert 1 of 5 set shots, with his 2nd goal coming from a quick play on after winning a free for being held in the marking contest. He obviously didn't want to take another set shot after his poor conversion throughout the day.
    • White - Kept a close eye on the ruck contests and Jesse was the dominant ruckman on the day. With his jumping ability, was able to get up above his Ainslie counterpart and provide direct taps to his midfielders. Aside from Spangher and Walsh taking a handful of forward line throw-ins and the topup Cullen given a few minutes in the ruck during an experimental stage late in the 4th (they had Armstrong, Plug and Everitt in the center square beside him), White rucked for basically the entire game and displayed good endurance . I wouldn't be adverse to keeping him on the list for another year, purely as a backup ruck option given the long injury layoff for Seaby whose body doesn't seem to be able to endure a full season of AFL.
    • Armstrong - Was more defensive minded today, at times dropping in the hole in front of Heath and Brown to help them battle Ainslie's tall forwards. Had more freedom once the lead blew out and finished with a couple of goal assists to his name.
    • Spangher - A frustrating game for Spangher with a few juggled almost marks that could have made his day a better one. It's in games like these that you realise for all his endevaour and competitiveness, he just lacks that extra polish that would make him into a very good forward target.
    • McNeil - Justified his selection for today's game with a sterling game out of the middle. Fed off Jesse's hands for plenty of clearances.
    • Moore - I thought he had a quiet game by his own high standards, but chimed in with an assist or a goal when required including a barnstorming Judd-like break from the centre bounce and converting from 50m out.
    • Heath - The big talking point will be how serious his left ankle injury turns out to be. He had to be helped off by the trainer but after having quite a bit of work done on it he did some light sprints on the sidelines. However with the result of the game beyond any doubt they made the pragmatic choice of not putting him back on. Played mostly on tall full forward Simon Horner who was kept goalless. Uncharacteristically gave away a goal when his attempt switch across the face of goal fell short and into the hands of an Ainslie player.
    • Brown - Big task in playing CHB on Ken McGregor but despite McGregor kicking 5 goals he acquitted himself well and only one of those 5 goals were a result of McGregor outmuscling Brown one-on-one.
    • Toppies - All had their moments during the game and the coaches will be proud of their performances. I think I've managed to match the players to their numbers thanks to a mixture of prior knowledge, help from tweeters listening to the live stream and the name calling by the players out on the field. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
    • Jackson Potter (#47) - Can't really view him in the same light as the other topups, he's been an integral part of the team all season and had another solid outing in the midfield. Tackles and competes as well as any of the listed players.
    • Lewis Broome (#48) had the biggest impact on the scoreboard. Excellent work from the small forward who kicked all his goals from open play. Very quick player not just in physical speed but in mental speed as well, if he sniffs half a chance he'll have the ball heading towards the goals before most players can even react. However do not pigeonhole him as a one-dimensional crumber, for he is very effective user of the ball kicking it inside 50. Not sure if the Swans are seriously looking at drafting him but he's been very impressive in his six games thus far.
    • Joshua Roebuck (#49) - Kicked a 40m goal when Everitt juggled and subsequently dropped a tough mark.
    • James Dunn (#50) - Played forward and was in the right places at the right times for his 2 goals, courtesy of quick play and great vision from Plug and Lamb respectively.
    • David Lycakis (#51) - Smallish player who played mostly in defence but drifted forward in the last to finish off from a Meredith handball.
    • Mitch Crawford (#52) - Not sure what his role was at the start of the game but finished at fullback which wouldn't be his usual position.
    • Erol Sertbas (#53) - Played on the wing and across half-forward and managed to contribute despite his youth and inexperience. He used his pace to chase down Ainslie defenders and caused two turnovers that eventually led to goals. Kicking was inconsistent but gave off quick, sharp handballs to the senior players.
    • Bradley Plug (#56) - Really liked the way this kid went about it, attacked the footy hard and also displayed some excellent kicking skills with a great snap from just inside 50. I believe he is registered with the Swans Academy and played for the NSW/ACT RAMS in this year's U18 champs.
    • Jordan Weir (#58) - Tall defender who held his own beside Heath and Brown.
    • Daniel Cullen (#59) - Tall player who took a turn in the ruck at the end of the game.

• Great team performance when you consider we played without our best forward for most of the game and our best defender for almost a half. The Canberra Times report noted that Ainslie had 2 injuries as well but I don't think they were as important to their team as TDL and Heath were to ours.
    • Crowd, including parents, siblings, WAGs and friends of both sides would not have been more than 100 which is disappointing for a final.
    • At the quarter time break, Crouch, Stone and Maxfield coached the forwards, mids and backs respectively. 3 of the 4 that missed out: Lynch, Kruger, (on the bench) Cunningham (in the stand) were watching (assume that Gordon was at the SCG as the emergency) as well as injured players Mitchell, Biggs, Seaby and Lockyer.
    • With the small crowd you could hear the Maxfield bellowing instructions from the Swans bench (although after reading LK's post, some of them could have been from TDL's dad). His favourite catchphrase: CLOSE THE OUTLETS! Also could hear the live stream commentator at times, his over-the-top enthusiasm quite jarring juxtaposed against the polite applause and comments from the crowd.
    Last edited by ugg; 27th August 2012 at 01:42 PM.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    Send them a very polite email, you will likely get a very polite response, saying unlucky, politely though.
    Or send them an abusive email and you will likely get no response. Hopefully the powers that be at the AFL/NEAFL/Swans wherever seek to avoid a crummy outcome like that in future and put the game on somewhere sensible, and get thier live feed stuff sorted out.

Thank you ugg, what would I do without you. Looks like the boys are improving week by week, and we can thank Crouchy for that I think. Looks like we brought up a good coach; we should be proud of ourselves. Mind you, I don't think any of the boys would have got a gig if Crouchy thought they were not contributing. It looks strong doesn't it. Wonder if they will target any of the toppies for the draft. Potter, Broome, maybe the tall ruckman whose name escapes me right now.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Re: Qualifying Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Ainslie Tricolours

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Or send them an abusive email and you will likely get no response. Hopefully the powers that be at the AFL/NEAFL/Swans wherever seek to avoid a crummy outcome like that in future and put the game on somewhere sensible, and get thier live feed stuff sorted out.
    I sent a non personal but angry email to the CEO of the Wests Tigers last night. I'm not expecting or want a response. However sometimes angry emails are what gets the point across a lot clearer than being super polite.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I sent a non personal but angry email to the CEO of the Wests Tigers last night. I'm not expecting or want a response. However sometimes angry emails are what gets the point across a lot clearer than being super polite.
    Feel free to vent your spleen at me, a happy Roosters supporter today, if you'd prefer

Re: Qualifying Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Ainslie Tricolours

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Feel free to vent your spleen at me, a happy Roosters supporter today, if you'd prefer
    The Roosters will play the same number of finals games this year as the Tigers - NONE

Back on Topic- last year I headed down to watch the reserves when the seniors played the Cats. That worked well so I'll probably do the same again.
    Last edited by Big Al; 27th August 2012 at 04:45 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veterans List
    What's happened to Shane Biggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    What's happened to Shane Biggs?
    He has a lower leg injury and won't be back until next year. Tom Mitchell will be starting again next year too as he is on the indefinite list. TDL & heath might just be on the list too if things don't go right. Thanks Ugg for the update and review. You do a sterling job! Point taken about the getting Broome mixed up with Armstrong. It is just that so many times I have heard commentators say so & so looks like so & so and the only thing they have in common is their race. If they indeed are either stupid or incompetent enough to mistake Brown for Broome they either need very strong short or long sight glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    It is just that so many times I have heard commentators say so & so looks like so & so and the only thing they have in common is their race. If they indeed are either stupid or incompetent enough to mistake Brown for Broome they either need very strong short or long sight glasses.
    Dead right Wolfie. Broome and Armstrong may have the same heritage but they look nothing alike. Just lazy commentators imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    • Toppies - All had their moments during the game and the coaches will be proud of their performances. I think I've managed to match the players to their numbers thanks to a mixture of prior knowledge, help from tweeters listening to the live stream and the name calling by the players out on the field. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
    • Jackson Potter (#47) - Can't really view him in the same light as the other topups, he's been an integral part of the team all season and had another solid outing in the midfield. Tackles and competes as well as any of the listed players.
    • Lewis Broome (#48) had the biggest impact on the scoreboard. Excellent work from the small forward who kicked all his goals from open play. Very quick player not just in physical speed but in mental speed as well, if he sniffs half a chance he'll have the ball heading towards the goals before most players can even react. However do not pigeonhole him as a one-dimensional crumber, for he is very effective user of the ball kicking it inside 50. Not sure if the Swans are seriously looking at drafting him but he's been very impressive in his six games thus far.
    • Joshua Roebuck (#49) - Kicked a 40m goal when Everitt juggled and subsequently dropped a tough mark.
    • James Dunn (#50) - Played forward and was in the right places at the right times for his 2 goals, courtesy of quick play and great vision from Plug and Lamb respectively.
    • David Lycakis (#51) - Smallish player who played mostly in defence but drifted forward in the last to finish off from a Meredith handball.
    • Mitch Crawford (#52) - Not sure what his role was at the start of the game but finished at fullback which wouldn't be his usual position.
    • Erol Sertbas (#53) - Played on the wing and across half-forward and managed to contribute despite his youth and inexperience. He used his pace to chase down Ainslie defenders and caused two turnovers that eventually led to goals. Kicking was inconsistent but gave off quick, sharp handballs to the senior players.
    • Bradley Plug (#56) - Really liked the way this kid went about it, attacked the footy hard and also displayed some excellent kicking skills with a great snap from just inside 50. I believe he is registered with the Swans Academy and played for the NSW/ACT RAMS in this year's U18 champs.
    • Jordan Weir (#58) - Tall defender who held his own beside Heath and Brown.
    • Daniel Cullen (#59) - Tall player who took a turn in the ruck at the end of the game.

• Great team performance when you consider we played without our best forward for most of the game and our best defender for almost a half. The Canberra Times report noted that Ainslie had 2 injuries as well but I don't think they were as important to their team as TDL and Heath were to ours.
    • Crowd, including parents, siblings, WAGs and friends of both sides would not have been more than 100 which is disappointing for a final.
    • At the quarter time break, Crouch, Stone and Maxfield coached the forwards, mids and backs respectively. 3 of the 4 that missed out: Lynch, Kruger, (on the bench) Cunningham (in the stand) were watching (assume that Gordon was at the SCG as the emergency) as well as injured players Mitchell, Biggs, Seaby and Lockyer.
    • With the small crowd you could hear the Maxfield bellowing instructions from the Swans bench (although after reading LK's post, some of them could have been from TDL's dad). His favourite catchphrase: CLOSE THE OUTLETS! Also could hear the live stream commentator at times, his over-the-top enthusiasm quite jarring juxtaposed against the polite applause and comments from the crowd.
    Yes, UGG, your input is great ! Wish you could have known the top-up numbers BEFORE the game as it's pretty hard work trying to figure it out as we go - I asked some of the resting players in the stand, and I asked a trainer, but they knew even less about the top-ups names than I did !!
    Who is the assistant coach with the specs ? Youngish bloke, dark hair, seen him holding the clipboard at other games.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast