Thread: Swans, Saints set for NZ

Blog Entries

Swans, Saints set for NZ

Morrison also revealed his preference was for the Swans to take on the Saints. The Brisbane Lions had also been considered. ''It's up to the AFL, of course, but we certainly believe the Sydney Swans are the hot favourites,'' Morrison said. ''From our point of view, we would certainly like it because Sydney has good access to Wellington. From our bigger picture point of view, we hope we can get as many Australians as possible from St Kilda and the Sydney Swans and the AFL, and there are also many Australians that are in New Zealand, not just Wellington. We are aiming for a full house.''
    Read more: Swans, Saints set for NZ

Sounds like fun. Might have to go over for that one.

I'll definitely go up...for one thing there are nowhere near as many earthquakes in Wellington as there are here :-0

BTW that's the same John Morrison who used to play cricket for New Zealand....nominally a batsman he played about 50 one dayers without ever actually scoring a 50...probably better remembered for bowling left arm orthodox spinners which never, ever deviated off the pitch....also down in history as the slowest bowler ever in international cricket....Richie Benaud once said "He doesn't bowl spinners as much as Autumn Leaves..."

Also probably the only international cricketer who had a grey moustache whilst still in his playing days....good slips catcher, though :-)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

When I first saw the Saints pushing for this, I was secretly hoping the Swans would play them. My sister lives there so a Swans game is always a good reason to travel! Sounds like it'd be an away game for us which is good, I wouldn't want to lose an SCG (or god forbid, an ANZ) game to play in NZ though! I think this is part of a push to help spread the game and create a larger talent pool - they're targeting rugby players that maybe searching for alternatives to Super 12 and playing for the All Blacks

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Sounds like one less Melbourne game. Not happy if that is the case.

Happy and I know it
    Accurate goal kicking could be a challenge in Windy Wellington.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I'd be up for a trip to Wellington to watch the Swannies play - but would be disappointing for one less game in Melbourne to happen as a result.

Senior Player
    I didn't take anything from that article to suggest there would be one less Swans game in Melbourne if this were to go ahead. Did we have one less Melbourne game when we were playing Melboune and the Dogs in Canberra? Or this year when we played Hawthorn in Launceston?

Senior Player
    Also, I'd definitely be keen to head over to Wellington for a weekend to watch the Swans play.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    I didn't take anything from that article to suggest there would be one less Swans game in Melbourne if this were to go ahead. Did we have one less Melbourne game when we were playing Melboune and the Dogs in Canberra? Or this year when we played Hawthorn in Launceston?
    True. I hope you're right.

One of the things still to be sorted out is beer rights. That's brilliant.

I'm going for sure if it comes off btw.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Just wild about Harry
    I would seriously consider it for a weekend.