Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for 23 v the Cats

Out: Parker
    In: Bolton

Why do I always hear the theme to the 'Twilight Zone' when I come to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Why do I always hear the theme to the 'Twilight Zone' when I come to this thread.
    Schizophrenia?

Veterans List
    So lots of us want Morton to be given a full game as he just may be the missing link we need in the forward line but who to leave out if Jude returns?

I think we are top heavy and LRT is the least effective tall at present so if he is slightly injured, give him the week off, start Morton and sub Jude or sub Jetta with Jude to come off late third quarter.

But having said that, it will be as expected - Morton out, Jude in and we'll still be top heavy and not quick enough to stop their backline rebound.

As a team we are close but just a few missing pieces.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    Schizophrenia?
    LOL LOL LOL!!!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    Scottee, would have to agree with Burt.

White has been given heaps of chances, but everytime he lets the team down. He may play well in the magoos, but when it comes to senior football, he has no idea.

Also, we don't need a third ruck. Two is enough.

I don't mind Walsh, but he needs more time. His speed is average at best, so needs to work on his ability to read the play and positioning. He is not up to AFL (at the moment). Hopefully, with another season he will be able to make it in 2013.
    Its a hard one. Jude back in is a no-brainer but the out is really difficult. Morton is worth the gamble I think because he could be so valuable in the finals and we need to find out now whether he really can play the Swans way. It just strikes me though that if you go with LRT and opt for the 3 tall forward line Jesse wouldn't be much different (if LRT was in fact injured). Tom Hawkins was given as many if not more chances so it doesn't seem that far fetched to me that Jesse could finally keep his mind on the job (yeah, OK it's wishful thinking).

I expect that Morton will be dropped(very impressed with his high speed leading and ability to run backwards as fast as his opponent can run forwards) and whilst this whole discussion is academic, it is the last chance before the finals to try something innovative (big shame we didn't use the Dogs game to try things out).
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So lots of us want Morton to be given a full game as he just may be the missing link we need in the forward line but who to leave out if Jude returns?

I think we are top heavy and LRT is the least effective tall at present so if he is slightly injured, give him the week off, start Morton and sub Jude or sub Jetta with Jude to come off late third quarter.

But having said that, it will be as expected - Morton out, Jude in and we'll still be top heavy and not quick enough to stop their backline rebound.

Funny how the team on AFL Insiders tonight (or maybe repeat from last night?) were saying how LRT may well be the most important link in our forward line (and Rocket agreed) as our forwards take few marks but rather bring the ball to ground. I guess we've seen that our "alternative" forward structure has been effective but I wonder if it'll stand up in finals. It seems to give us wins as long as our midfield win the battle. Not long before we find out.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Comparing LRT and Jesse is like the old riddle about the difference between a war horse and a draught horse: the war horse darts into the fray, the draught horse ...
    Jude in, Morton out (though I'd like to see him stay, shame we can't have 23 men).
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Funny how the team on AFL Insiders tonight (or maybe repeat from last night?) were saying how LRT may well be the most important link in our forward line (and Rocket agreed) as our forwards take few marks but rather bring the ball to ground. I guess we've seen that our "alternative" forward structure has been effective but I wonder if it'll stand up in finals. It seems to give us wins as long as our midfield win the battle. Not long before we find out.
    Spot on

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Comparing LRT and Jesse is like the old riddle about the difference between a war horse and a draught horse: the war horse darts into the fray, the draught horse ...
    Jude in, Morton out (though I'd like to see him stay, shame we can't have 23 men).
    I think like Toy Story, its a wooden horse.

Isn't anyone else here worried about Bird getting gobbled up?
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

It's a long shot but maybe rest Jetta for a week get himself right - cats know how he works but they don't really know Morton- I am forever hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

I agree with all of this, including the part about Morton being the one most likely to be dropped. But I think it is a mistake. Having introduced him into the team, albeit only as a sub, I think we should commit to at least test him out for a full game. It isn't like we don't know if he can play at AFL level. He is a real talent. It is only his work ethic and attitude that has really been in question.

LRT has done a great job in a number or roles over many years. Coaches must love him, because you know the kind of commitment you are going to get week in and week out. But like the Hawks did on Saturday, when they put Hodge onto him, you can put a more nimble defender on him (and Hodge is not very nimble), and run off him at will to set up play from the back half. I think this would be harder to do on Morton, who is very dangerous and doesn't need much time and space to pull off some special.

One of the strengths of the Premiership period was having that unpredictable bit of magic that Micky O brought to the game. I suppose you could say that about Nick Davis as well. Jetta had it, but seems to have lost it lately. Morton is someone that just might be the answer. I think it's an important component of a successful team. Let's face it, our forward line is a bit boring.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast