Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for 23 v the Cats

OUT: LRT or Pyke
    IN: Bolton

We are just too top heavy in the forward line. I can see playing 4 tall forwards if they were all great, but we need another more natural forward and midfielder type up front. We are the only team I think that has such a tall forward line, and one that is only effective against weaker teams. Nothing against either Pyke or LRT. I think they have both been doing fine, but the structure is not right. If we think Pyke and Mummy are our answer to Cox and Natinui, fine, but then LRT has to go out.

I think it's too late to change the team now. I really would have preferred last week or this to have played Morton on the ground to see whether that made the forward line more effective. It has been obvious all season that we don't have one that will kick multiple goals. We have an awesome goal kicking midfield, but another scorer might help the team - for no other reason than giving the others space.
    So we must rely on the structure that got us here. If it fails in the finals then coaches should be criticised for decisions during the year. If it succeeds then kudos to them !

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I think it's too late to change the team now. I really would have preferred last week or this to have played Morton on the ground to see whether that made the forward line more effective. It has been obvious all season that we don't have one that will kick multiple goals. We have an awesome goal kicking midfield, but another scorer might help the team - for no other reason than giving the others space.
    So we must rely on the structure that got us here. If it fails in the finals then coaches should be criticised for decisions during the year. If it succeeds then kudos to them !
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    Yep thats a pretty decent call. Still I think our biggest failing in our forward line is that too often our forwards all lead to the same place. Like in the first half of the earlier game this year, Hawthorn played a loose man in defence for most of the night, and when your forwards all lead to the same area all the time, it makes it far too easy for that loose man to affect the contest. We need the boys, especially Reid/Pyke/Mumford/LRT to work more on leading away from each other where possible. Open up the forward line so that when teams play that loose man, he has to committ one way or the other, thus giving us the opportunity sometimes to get better 1 on 1 contests. The few times we managed it tonight, it worked well. But too often, the two main forwards at the time end up leading to the same area, leading to 3 on 2 situations occuring far too often.

Veteran Site Admin
    Pyke and Reid certainly need to learn to talk to each other. There were a few times on the wing when they both flew for a mark. I suspect either one could have / would have taken it had they not spoiled each other, and even if not, the other would have been on their feet to gather the spilled ball.

I think Longmire should have given the likes of Jetta, AJ, Hanners, a week off later in the year, they are clearly tiring. Will they come up for the finals?

I think we should drop LRT but we won't

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Pyke and Reid certainly need to learn to talk to each other. There were a few times on the wing when they both flew for a mark. I suspect either one could have / would have taken it had they not spoiled each other, and even if not, the other would have been on their feet to gather the spilled ball.
    How frustrating was that? I counted at least 3-5 times they spoiled each other when one was in great position to mark. Hopefully they review that on the tape.

My concern is the lack of small crumbing forward again in the forward line. We generate so many inside 50s especially when our tails are up however we still don't get enough reward for effort. We just need someone at the bigs feet. LRT is not a great one on one mark lets face it. He can't outmuscle his opponent so more often than not the ball will be on the ground after his contest.
    Jude being back will definitely help this i hope or perhaps it's time for Jetta to play some time at Reid/LRT's feet considering how ineffective he is atm.

It's a shame that Morton will probably get dropped as he has done some very clever things in his 2 substitue cameos.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

On the Rookie List
    In: Bolton, Everit
    Out: Morton, Jetta

You simply can't drop Jetta. He increase our pace and forces other teams to play someone on him. It's like dropping goodes whose form has been poor for the past four to five weeks and who twice last night refused to kick with his left foot when no more than 20 metres out. Further he usually pops up with a goal a game and often an assist or more. He mightn't be strong in the tackle but then lrt isn't a strong mark.

To be honest I'd be looking for more pace in this team and one less tall. Jude isn't that answer but he will provide another marking target.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    In: Bolton, Everit
    Out: Morton, Jetta
    No thanks.

How can anyone possibly want to drop Jetta. I know his form is down on earlier in the season, and I was as critical as anyone else at the ground for some lazy efforts last night, but he is such a key outlet to us. The expansive, coast to coast footy with Jetta running onto it might not have been working as well over the last month, but I'd hate to think that we got caught in an open, end to end contest (which to me is a definite possibility next week against Geelong) and suddenly find that we don't have Jetta there to take advantage of it. He will learn from being tagged recently and will improve - show some faith in one of our young stars people!

On the Rookie List swansprincess's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    OUT: LRT or Pyke
    IN: Bolton

We are just too top heavy in the forward line. I can see playing 4 tall forwards if they were all great, but we need another more natural forward and midfielder type up front. We are the only team I think that has such a tall forward line, and one that is only effective against weaker teams. Nothing against either Pyke or LRT. I think they have both been doing fine, but the structure is not right. If we think Pyke and Mummy are our answer to Cox and Natinui, fine, but then LRT has to go out.
    That actually makes a lot of sense. I'd agreed with dropping parker, purely because someone has to go for Bolton to come in and I think we need a forward like Morton to stay and be able to give some real leads to add another option, instead of just kicking it long and hoping. But this seems smarter.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast