Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: We wont win the premiership this year...

I always thought we had more hope next year than this year. And I'm glad we gotten this far this year and hopefully there's alot more to come, so we can go deep into the finals to give our younger players that finals experience ... And you never know ...

On the Rookie List
    Hazcam, your OP was on the money and the Geelong match proved it. Despite a fantastic defensive record, Swans have a troubling tendency to leak a lot of goals in a short timeframe.
    Swans might beat Crows, but might drop out in straight sets. Rohan's injury hurt the team far more than anyone would think of a second year player. Quick and skilful, he might have made the difference in at least one of the close ones Sydney dropped lately.
    Today wasn't a close one, Swans were never really in the game and it was obvious early in the second that Geelong were on top. Swans have played some great football this season, at their best they've been world champions, with a beautifully balanced team. Unfortunately, they seem to be crumbling at the worst time.

Yeah I was "bucked" off a while ago but still enjoying the year, funny things happen in footy hope Im proven wrong on all my negativity.

Im already excited about next year whatever happens for the rest of this one.

waz

I think the next year stuff is crazy. Every team aims to improve. And some of them have a lot more improvement in them. We have a pretty known commodity now, and unless we find a new forward we are stuck with an ageing Adam goodes, a potentially brilliant Gary rohan who I think we should assume will not be right before July next year, lrt who simply cannot take a contested mark and we so desperately hope - a Sam Reid who still has lots of improvement in him.

Our defence will not get better. Grundy and Richards are what they are. Ted is playing career best football, but reg is reg. mal, shaw, mattner none of them have much improvement in them. Rok, mcveigh, jpk, bird, jack are as good as they will ever be.

The reserves may get in - but none appear to have made a compelling case - we are constantly informed that Moore is one of our best - and he is miles from it.

This may well be as good a chance as we will get for the next five years I reckon.

I had our side at the beginning of the season as finishing anywhere between 4 and 10 so I have been really happy with the overall outcome at the end of the home and away. I don't think we can beat any of Geelong, collingwood or hawthorn ( in particular) but there is always the possibility of injuries to even it up.

We now have the potential of knocking off the crows - one of our absolute bogey sides - and one where they don't have a buddy franklin who can turn the game by himself. It will come down to those two hours on sat afternoon. Win that game and the swans are a real chance of making a gf.

Next year - who knows.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    We need replacements for Mattner and Grundy very soon.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Ok the last month hasn't gone exactly to plan - we are still in third place and we have 2 chances to get to the PF - hopefully we can do a job in Adelaide next week (like we did on Port against the odds all those years ago) and in 05 we played all 4 weeks of the finals on a traveling merry-go-round. Can we do it again? We have as good a chance as any of the other 7 teams. Let's not lose hope- finals are a different bag if bananas - go Swans (can't wait to get our grand final letters!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    We need replacements for Mattner and Grundy very soon.
    Grundy is 26.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    The facts are we beat them with a 60 point turn around in Tassie...And lost a game that could of gone either way last week.

There are many on here who profess to being realistic when they are actually being fatalistic.

We're in the top 4 , 2 bites at the cherry , in an open season.......ENJOY IT
    Yes, the Tassie win was great and I'm thrilled we've finished top four. And yes, I certainly am enjoying the footy!

There is no one in the 5th to 8th who worries me in Sydney, so even considering we've lost 3 from the last 4, I think we will make it to a prelim.
    s
    But to go any further we need to find some form, and need a bit of luck with injury.
    Speaking of which, the Guerra injury to Hawthorn is pretty significant in a team whose defense is suspect.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    There is no one in the 5th to 8th who worries me in Sydney, so even considering we've lost 3 from the last 4, I think we will make it to a prelim.
    s
    But to go any further we need to find some form, and need a bit of luck with injury.
    Speaking of which, the Guerra injury to Hawthorn is pretty significant in a team whose defense is suspect.
    Geelong can beat us in Sydney, no doubt. Less concerned about North, Freo and West Coast.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    even considering we've lost 3 from the last 4, I think we will make it to a prelim.
    I spent the morning playing around with some statistics using AFL Tables.

It turns out that the GF has been won only twice by teams which dropped the last 3 games of the H&A season: Melbourne in 1960, Fitzroy in 1916. Although Fitzroy lost 9 in a row that year and won only 2 before finals, so I guess the rules were a bit different...

Anyway, take your pick from (1) history is against us or (2) it can be done!
    Last edited by neilfws; 4th September 2012 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I spent the morning playing around with some statistics using AFL Tables.

It turns out that the GF has been won only twice by teams which dropped the last 3 games of the H&A season: Melbourne in 1960, Fitzroy in 1916. So take your pick from (1) history is against us or (2) it can be done!
    We didn't drop the last three. Would be interesting to know progress of teams that dropped three of last four H&A games.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast