Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: We wont win the premiership this year...

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I spent the morning playing around with some statistics using AFL Tables.

It turns out that the GF has been won only twice by teams which dropped the last 3 games of the H&A season: Melbourne in 1960, Fitzroy in 1916. Although Fitzroy lost 9 in a row that year and won only 2 before finals, so I guess the rules were a bit different...

Anyway, take your pick from (1) history is against us or (2) it can be done!
    Didn't we only lose the last two - the Dogs were wedged between the Pies and Hawks?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Geelong can beat us in Sydney, no doubt. Less concerned about North, Freo and West Coast.
    They sure can and nearly did earlier in the year....it will be a very very nervous week if we were to drop the adelaide game and they beat freo, we would meet in a semi I believe at ANZ. Dont want to think about that, just win this week!!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Didn't we only lose the last two - the Dogs were wedged between the Pies and Hawks?
    Yes, you and Swansongster are quite right; the last 4 are LWLL. Time to recalculate...

...OK - makes no difference, those same teams are the only ones to drop at least 3 from the last 4 (Fitzroy 1916 LLLL, Melbourne 1960 WLLL) and win the GF.
    Last edited by neilfws; 4th September 2012 at 12:38 PM.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    They sure can and nearly did earlier in the year....it will be a very very nervous week if we were to drop the adelaide game and they beat freo, we would meet in a semi I believe at ANZ. Dont want to think about that, just win this week!!
    Then if Swans can beat Cats it will be Hawks in the Prelim at the MCG.

Lose this Saturday and its a very long way back.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

I don't know - one of the happiest days of my life was a semi final between Geelong and Sydney. I remember driving up all day, getting to the ground pretty early. Being shocked at how wet it was. Going ballistic at the umpires for a ridiculous free against crouch for shepparding mooney, feeling that we were still in it even though done by nearly four goals and then just joy afterwards...

I was certain we'd get done by the saints the week after back here in Melbourne, so I just thought it was one of those nights that I would be able to take away in yet another good season...

I think we can beat the cats...in fact I reckon we can beat anyone bar hawthorn at the Mcg. We just need a bit of luck go our way.

Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    Geelong 8 wins 7 losses away from simmonds stadium, they are not unbeatable.
    Theres not much left to say

This is further supported with Geelong only playing interstate and out-of-form Melbourne sides in Geelong this year. This year it was Richmond, Melbourne, GWS, Port, Adelaide, West Coast, Bulldogs and Sydney. It helps them win some key games against the interstate sides who have to travel that little bit further out of Melbourne. If we were to play them again they lose that advantage.

Don't agree with this thread, i think we are a huge chance to win the flag ..i believe we are a class above adelaide who have been flattered by the easiest draw in the history of draws , i think that class difference will show on saturday afternoon..do you really think that the swans would be rolled by brisbane lions ?? as these guys were not so long ago..the bloods will bring their fierce tackling to the crows and they won't know what happened ..swans by 4 goals plus..

I don't think we will win the flag this year but I think we will next year. In saying that I think we will give it a ding dong go!

On the Rookie List
    We won the clearances convincingly out of the middle and the crows couldn't score multiple goals at all throughout game.

Preventing this against hawthorn is the key as I'm positive they will be in the gf

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't think we will win the flag this year but I think we will next year. In saying that I think we will give it a ding dong go!
    I love anything that involves ding dongs, but maybe that is just me

Well who'd have thought it huh? With a weeks rest to get things right and either north, WC or the pies to play (and think they will bash the crap out of each other just to get the chance next week to make it up here) I think we might just do it !!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast