Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We wont win the premiership this year...

On the Rookie List

We wont win the premiership this year...

IF we squander match winning leads in quick time and get smashed in the centre square clearances with the game on the line!!!!!

* We were up by 38 points and allowed the hawks to kick 6 goals in 8 minutes of game time. Our 2005 side would've effectively closed down the last two minutes of the game as well. Instead, the hawks kicked two goals to snatch it.

* Up by 17 points halfway through the 3rd quarter againt the Pies and they then kicked 5 unanswered goals. We were in it with a minute to go but lost the clearance easily

* Up by 36 points in the 3rd quarter against the cats and they kicked the next 6 goals in about a quarter to take the lead

* Up by 47 points against the Bombers and they kicked 9 goals in the final quarter (after only kicking 2 up to three quarter time) to nearly steal it

* Crows kick 4 goals in 9 minutes at the start of the all important final term in Round 5 (we were down 28 at one stage in the game admittedly)

* Led by 45 points early in the 3rd against Freo and we concede 6 unanswered goals in 15 minutes of game time to let Freo back in it.

Yes we did do well to get ahead in these games but the alarming rate that we have squandered these leads with consecutive/unanswered goals is cause for a lot of concern. Our defensive pressure was intense in most of the above games but we let teams back in the contest by not maintaining intensity and allowing easy ball out of the middle. What happened to the old tempo possession footy to stem the flow amid a potential fightback?

I understand that this does happen in footy and we were down by 25 against the hawks in tassie to then create a 10 goal turnaround. But we do need to address this.

Being up 6 goals in a grand final and then losing it won't be good enough.
    Last edited by Hazcam; 26th August 2012 at 05:53 AM.

Warming the Bench
    Good sides aren't gonna let you keep a large lead on them, all of the teams you mentioned above are all playing finals. The team that wins the grand final is the team that gets to the gf in the first place and then plays better then the other team. This whole doom and gloom area gets Sydney no-where and i can guarantee you no player in the Sydney locker room will think no less of our premiership chances as they did saturday morning.

I'm sorry but this is a crap thread, if you're gonna have a sook, go have a sook in your weetbix. Yes the final result didn't go our way, but it was a competitive performance and at the beginning of the year, very few Sydney fans let alone AFL followers thought we'd even get *this* far. The game really could have gone either way and there were a few errors but Hawthorn made a lot as well. At the end of the day, the close games have been a great spectacle and more often than not we've come away with the win. It is pretty unlikely that the Swans will fall out of the Top 4 so I think we should just look on the bright side and see we're still in the hunt.

And even if we don't make it this year, it is a good solid list with a lot of upside and more experience with only a couple of people who may retire or be delisted. We may not win a premiership this year but no-one will know that until the finals start.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    The centre clearance work when the other team gets momentum definitely needs alot of work. We just need to control the tempo a bit better when the other team surges (something that the 2005 team did so well).
    Thankfully we can look on the bright side because we are getting a heavy handed test right before when it really counts and we have been ultra competitive in each game against the top 4. I'd rather this run home than Adelaide who basically have 2 byes to soften themselves up leading into a much harder edged team like us who have been tested by the really good teams.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

On the Rookie List

We wont win the premiership this year...

Do we really need to be so negative. The boys will have learnt heaps from this and the collingwood game and will be cherry ripe for the finals. Also what an effort to get us back into striking distance of a premiership so quickly. Our club is the envy of the competition.

Very good observations - harsh but true facts. It highlights that we must maintain the pressure for 100 mins. I'm sure Longmire and co will be drumming it into the team. We are a chance but cannot afford slip ups as you have highlighted

Senior Player
    Maybe we will, maybe we won 't but if anyone had said to me that the lowest the Swans will finish whether they win or lose round 23 is third I would have been happy and I am. We have had our own injuries to deal with and we have a young exciting and potentially great forward in Sam. We lost to the 2 so called greatest teams by less than 2 goals and incidentally Collingwood have been crap since playing the swans, let's see how Hawthorn play next week. Go Swans and remember the 2005 team played in Perth and lost, played in Sydney and won, played in Melbourne and won then won the Grand Final, they did it the hard way. They are doing ok.

Senior Player
    I would also like to say that we have been top of the ladder for weeks making us the team to beat, it's a heavy burden to carry ad we can beat Geelong an still finish second.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanner View Post
    Do we really need to be so negative. The boys will have learnt heaps from this and the collingwood game and will be cherry ripe for the finals. Also what an effort to get us back into striking distance of a premiership so quickly. Our club is the envy of the competition.
    Well said!

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

So, what about all the teams that let us get out to a huge lead, same could be said for them that they wont win the premiership.

Whoever wins this year will have to have things go their way in the finals. We have just as much chance as anyone of winning and alot more than most.

Warming the Bench
    For the first time in a long time I was actually ok with losing last nights game. It was a great game to watch and even though the result didn't go our way I was still bloody proud of our boys.

Those blokes played hard tough footy last night, and all year. A 7 point loss is not teh end of teh world, there isa huge upside still for us in a few of our players, no need to get negative. Keep n mind we still have a lot of young players in the side who are not used to the type of tempo and pressure of big games like that. It will hopefully improve them for teh finals atmosphere
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast