Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proof the umpires robbed us........

Proof the umpires robbed us........

I thought we had a fair run with the umps in the first quarter and a bit when we got off to a good start. A lot of decisions I thought were pulled out of thin air seemed to go our way. Can't recall what the were now, but remember thinking " geez, we're getting everything so far ! " in terms of free kicks. I refuse to blame poor umpiring decisions for a loss. We were in a position to win that game and we let it slip. The umpires didn't pile on 6 hawthorn goals in the space of 10 minutes in the 2nd qtr. The things our players and coaching staff did and didn't do had far more bearing on the game than any poor or non decision by the umps IMO. That being said, I was still extremely proud pf pur boys after the game and not too disheartened. We took it right up to them and nearly got there. I think we will beat the cats this week, and will have two home finals to look forward to.

Senior Player
    I think a fair indication of the bizarre nature of the free and the non-50 metre penalty was Longmire's open mouth and dropped jaw after each incident.First time I have seen him look that stunned since he has been coach and both in the last quarter of the same match.Go figure!!

The upside of the decisions is that we have every reason to believe that we can beat this mob, especially with a better centre square set-up when Jude gets back.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Heard on SEN Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I think a fair indication of the bizarre nature of the free and the non-50 metre penalty was Longmire's open mouth and dropped jaw after each incident.First time I have seen him look that stunned since he has been coach and both in the last quarter of the same match.Go figure!!

The upside of the decisions is that we have every reason to believe that we can beat this mob, especially with a better centre square set-up when Jude gets back.
    Not sure if people heard umpires coach Derek Humphreys tonight on SEN radio, but the first thing they said was the Hawthorn's Papulao 360 degree spin around in the gaol square and subsequent free kick was awarded the worst decision of the year ,plus there was Hawthorn players shouting at Burgoyne to not kick the ball as Reid had the free kick and still he kicked it. The umpire would have also heard this, how can he not call it a 50 metre penalty???? All this happened at such a crucial time makes it some much worst. West coast may get a home ground advantage with umpires, but we certainly don't, no matter how loud the Swans Supporters cry out!

Veterans List
    Spoken to a couple of non Swans supporters and they said the non 50 metre penalty to Reid was criminal. Umpire said he didn't think the Hawthorn players heard the whistle. Not his decision to make that call. Mind you they were no more than 15 metres from the umpire and he was heard to repeatedly call to the Hawthorn players not to play on. 2 Hawthorn players played on even when the umpire repeatedly blew his whistle and failed to call advantage. Was it also Donlon?

As annoying as it all is, complaining about it is not going to give us the four points, hopefully the umpies will feel sorry for us and be kinder to us through the finals.

Well, a girl can dream can't she?

We won the free kick count comfortably. There were a couple of howlers in the last quarter - it happens to every side. No one ever whinges about umpires when their side wins, funny about that.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    We won the free kick count comfortably. There were a couple of howlers in the last quarter - it happens to every side. No one ever whinges about umpires when their side wins, funny about that.
    I have been known to.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Goes up to 11
    Overall the umpiring was ok, and they didn't over- officiate which has been the case for most of this year. Doesn't cancel out the fact that those two decisions in the last quarter were absolute howlers though, and they undoubtedly had a direct impact on the final scores.

Hopefully the umpires use a bit of sense in the finals and don't get whistle happy.....

Just wild about Harry
    If we had kicked a higher score than them then we would have won. If a game is as close as a kick then it is easily influenced by the blowing of a whistle, so it is our fault for letting it get that close in the first place. Time to move on.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    If we had kicked a higher score than them then we would have won. If a game is as close as a kick then it is easily influenced by the blowing of a whistle, so it is our fault for letting it get that close in the first place. Time to move on.
    Agreed - we should have maintained our 30-40 point lead so that those two howlers didn't influence the final result!

I have faith in the boys that during the finals, even if we fall behind, that we play sufficiently well enough to be close enough to be able to take advantage of any poor umpiring decisions that happen to fall our way in the dying stages in a match. I won't care how we win - this time of year is all about getting yourself across the line any way you can....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12