Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brett Kirk joins Freo

Brett Kirk joins Freo

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Only if he is good enough and there are many in front of him.
    Agreed. It shouldn't be automatic that he returns to the club as an assistant because of who he is. He should only return if he's the best person for the job available.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Serve your apprenticeship grasshopper and when you are ready, return home and share the love!

Or is this like Dennis Carroll being overlooked for Rodney Eade in the 90's? I recall the how can you overlook a legend... talk!

Rod_

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Most former players seeking a move into coaching go away from their playing club to get experience. It'd be nice to see the prodigal son return sometime in future, even if he's leading a rebuilding stage after 5 consecutive premierships.... He's a NSW boy too so that'd be extra good if he makes it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Serve your apprenticeship grasshopper and when you are ready, return home and share the love!

Or is this like Dennis Carroll being overlooked for Rodney Eade in the 90's? I recall the how can you overlook a legend... talk!

Rod_
    Sound like a Plan to me.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Brett Kirk will be back in the fold at the Swans some time. This is his apprenticeship.
    How I see it too.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I have never been a fan of Kirk the person, but have admired the way he made the most of his limited footballing skills.

That being said, I wish him well. I don't care if he never returns to the Swans in any capacity, after all it is his living and he needs to be where he can make that living and hopefully enjoy life as well.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    I feel like saying "traitor".. but with Kirky.. it's.. just.. so... hard..

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I have never been a fan of Kirk the person, but have admired the way he made the most of his limited footballing skills.

That being said, I wish him well. I don't care if he never returns to the Swans in any capacity, after all it is his living and he needs to be where he can make that living and hopefully enjoy life as well.
    Not sure what there is to dislike about "Kirk the person"? A beautiful man with notable leadership, presentation, club loyalty, mateship and family orientations.

And, while it is hard to argue that his skills were not as slick as some, I think using the term "limited football skills" is just rehashing the tired old media line that is somewhat disingenuous to the achievements of the man.

Kirk could take a grab, he could put it through the sticks with pretty reliable precision on the run, at the snap and from a set shot. He could find a short or long target from the boot. His handballs on the run, rebound and out of traffic were more often than not to the target (and generally the right optional target). He was tough as dried Weet-bix and could tackle very effectively. He could read the play like a book and he had a great engine. Where were his skills supposingly "limited".

We sure could have used him to close down the game against Collingwood and the Hawks in recent weeks.

Perhaps the more accurate comment about Kirky was that he made the "most of his limited body mass".

He obviously wants to learn the coaching game if he is uprooting his family and heading west. I supect he has the determination to succeed at whatever he tries his hand at.

Good luck to you Kirky. Respect from me whatever you do from here on in.

Veterans List

Yep we all see people differently. Maybe surf the net for the excellent sites on leadership and you may see him in a different light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Yep we all see people differently. Maybe surf the net for the excellent sites on leadership and you may see him in a different light.
    Nup, nothing I have ever read on leadership says it is acceptable to belittle people publicly, particularly in the press. Doing it to berate someone for speaking to the press is even more hypocritical.

Sorry if I don't toe the "Brett Kirk is beyond criticism" line, because I don't think anyone is, even if they have played for the team I love. But I knew that some people would not think I was entitled to my opinion when I posted the comment.

But this is getting off topic. As I said, despite what I think of him I wish him well in his endeavours.

Veterans List
    Nup, nothing I have ever read on leadership says it is acceptable to belittle people publicly, particularly in the press. Doing it to berate someone for speaking to the press is even more hypocritical.

Sorry if I don't toe the "Brett Kirk is beyond criticism" line, because I don't think anyone is, even if they have played for the team I love. But I knew that some people would not think I was entitled to my opinion when I posted the comment.

But this is getting off topic. As I said, despite what I think of him I wish him well in his endeavours.
    If I was a leader who felt that a fellow leader had let down the club, again, then I could either deny my responsibility or speak up. And saying "I'd trust Barry with my children but I can no longer trust him on the field" was no more or less than 30,000 of us were saying. Of course, he could have copped out and said "it's up to the club, not me." Or he could have stayed true to himself and stayed honest. I give him points for honesty. I don't think Brett is super bright but I do think he's perhaps the most honourable person to play football. I, like many others, admire that strong, unswerving, moral compass - it's certainly something that will greatly benefit Freo - from its administration to the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    If I was a leader who felt that a fellow leader had let down the club, again, then I could either deny my responsibility or speak up. And saying "I'd trust Barry with my children but I can no longer trust him on the field" was no more or less than 30,000 of us were saying. Of course, he could have copped out and said "it's up to the club, not me." Or he could have stayed true to himself and stayed honest. I give him points for honesty. I don't think Brett is super bright but I do think he's perhaps the most honourable person to play football. I, like many others, admire that strong, unswerving, moral compass - it's certainly something that will greatly benefit Freo - from its administration to the players.
    Good guess, but it was another incident and another player I was thinking of. I had forgotten about that one.

He has lovely Hair also

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast