Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brett Kirk joins Freo

Re: Brett Kirk joins Freo

I certainly have no issue with Kirk over the Hall incident. He was voicing the frustration the club felt over Halls continued transgressions. The fact Hall wants to berate Swans supporters even now tells where the moral compass is pointing.

However I certainly won't hang GS14 for not liking Kirk. We're human and us such we all see and interpret things differently. We don't all have to like the same things. I know this will come as a shock to some but there are some people out there who don't like me. They're clearly deluded but certainly entitled to have that view.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll assume it's Davo and the Tim Morrissey article. Brett had no issue in talking to the media about his dissapointment about a player talking to the media.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Good guess, but it was another incident and another player I was thinking of. I had forgotten about that one.
    Oh, sorry I had it wrong. But you might want to talk to the now-mature but no less carefree Nick about whether he thought he let his team mates down with his conduct at that time. It's nice to see Nick and Roos getting along but then again Roos didn't have to do (or order) dawn ocean swims to atone for Nick's transgressions. That was just self discipline by the rest of the team, led by Kirk, and that discipline gave us the 2005 Premiership.

Ironically, it could have been back-to-back if we hadn't played a team with very different leadership principles in 2006 - so maybe the Eagles' approach was equally successful?

Nup, nothing I have ever read on leadership says it is acceptable to belittle people publicly, particularly in the press. Doing it to berate someone for speaking to the press is even more hypocritical.

Sorry if I don't toe the "Brett Kirk is beyond criticism" line, because I don't think anyone is, even if they have played for the team I love. But I knew that some people would not think I was entitled to my opinion when I posted the comment.

But this is getting off topic. As I said, despite what I think of him I wish him well in his endeavours.
    I certainly respect your opinion goswannie and, of course, no-one is beyond scrutiny. I just can't personally think of anything that would bring his character into question as you did.

Meanwhile, I think the skills and decision making ability of Kirky on the pitch were better than many commentators are prepared to give credit for. It was more than just heart that gave him such a great career.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    We don't all have to like the same things. I know this will come as a shock to some but there are some people out there who don't like me. They're clearly deluded but certainly entitled to have that view.
    That can't be true, Al. Right now I'm sporting a black eye after a dispute with a bloke who refused to accept you are a living god. I know both Kirky and Shirley Maclaine have small incense-strewn altars to you. Well, it looked like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I certainly respect your opinion goswannie and, of course, no-one is beyond scrutiny. I just can't personally think of anything that would bring his character into question as you did.

Meanwhile, I think the skills and decision making ability of Kirky on the pitch were better than many commentators are prepared to give credit for. It was more than just heart that gave him such a great career.
    I didn't question his character, I just said I didn't like him. There's a big difference.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    However I certainly won't hang GS14 for not liking Kirk. We're human and us such we all see and interpret things differently. We don't all have to like the same things. I know this will come as a shock to some but there are some people out there who don't like me. They're clearly deluded but certainly entitled to have that view.
    But I assume you will credit me with the turn around in Jude Boltons form after "that game" in Canberra!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    That can't be true, Al. Right now I'm sporting a black eye after a dispute with a bloke who refused to accept you are a living god. I know both Kirky and Shirley Maclaine have small incense-strewn altars to you. Well, it looked like you.
    I met that bloke. His eye is blackened now after he tried to rub my tummy.

Before this gets thrown to the Sandpit I just want to say that I wish Kirk well at Freo.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

But I assume you will credit me with the turn around in Jude Boltons form after "that game" in Canberra!
    PMSL... funniest incident ever at a game of footy and yes Jude was different after that. RWO and the Swans owe you a great debt.

I'm bored, which actual "that game in Canberra" is it. If we won, I will find it in amongst my collection and have a sticky.

As for Kirky. I have the gall to admit I am miffed at him moving to the other side of the world. At the same time I am miffed at myself for being miffed at Kirky living his own life as he sees fit and not consulting me about my opinion. Its a conundrum.

We have a few blokes from Melbourne, a schtar from Port/Hawkes, and a flotilla of Swans on deck, so why would I be moved to be a bit thingy about Kirky living his own life as he sees fit! However I am not totally unfair and I expect him back here after his apprenticeship has been served. Or not. So good luck Kirky and Co. You will have fun I think.

At this point I perhaps should remind myself that we now have one of the best runners in the business, has anyone else noticed? who found it hard to get a gig anywhere in the last few years, got lost from the Swans for a while, but is now a professional member of the team (I fall about laughing on a regular basis at the site of the bloke ripping through the ground and organising things in such a professional sharp manner, and at one stage yelling at Crouch to get of the bleeding field so he could get a message out himself - strange how things work out - eventually).
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Good luck to him - I've never been a fan of the man - a bit too Mamby Pamby for mine, but a fan definately of the player. That's just me - and the tv gig was becoming cringe worthy - I'd prefer Cameron Ling anyway. Big move for he and the family they can enjoy the sunsets and the sand blast when the Fremantle Doctor pays a visit in the afternoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I'm bored, which actual "that game in Canberra" is it. If we won, I will find it in amongst my collection and have a sticky.
    Primmy, I think it was 2007 against Melbourne. Big Al and I were on the wing in the outer. Just on half time Bolton missed an easy pass right in front of us. I called out "You should get used to playing in Canberra, that's where you belong." Then the siren sounded and the crowd went dead quiet as I finished my rant with, "That's you Bolton, you blond Primma Donna." It was the last bad game I can remember him playing!

It was marginally better then the interaction with a young Melbourne supporter the year before. When they scored a goal I said "Only 6 more to go". He called out "That's what your Mum said last night". I replied "My Mum's dead", then turned to Al and said "I had better apologise to my Mum when I see her next!" The look on the guys face was priceless.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast