Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brett Kirk joins Freo

Re: Brett Kirk joins Freo

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Primmy, I think it was 2007 against Melbourne. Big Al and I were on the wing in the outer. Just on half time Bolton missed an easy pass right in front of us. I called out "You should get used to playing in Canberra, that's where you belong." Then the siren sounded and the crowd went dead quiet as I finished my rant with, "That's you Bolton, you blond Primma Donna." It was the last bad game I can remember him playing!

It was marginally better then the interaction with a young Melbourne supporter the year before. When they scored a goal I said "Only 6 more to go". He called out "That's what your Mum said last night". I replied "My Mum's dead", then turned to Al and said "I had better apologise to my Mum when I see her next!" The look on the guys face was priceless.
    Yep, all true.

That Melbourne bloke needed therapy after we finished with him.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Primmy, I think it was 2007 against Melbourne. Big Al and I were on the wing in the outer. Just on half time Bolton missed an easy pass right in front of us. I called out "You should get used to playing in Canberra, that's where you belong." Then the siren sounded and the crowd went dead quiet as I finished my rant with, "That's you Bolton, you blond Primma Donna." It was the last bad game I can remember him playing!

It was marginally better then the interaction with a young Melbourne supporter the year before. When they scored a goal I said "Only 6 more to go". He called out "That's what your Mum said last night". I replied "My Mum's dead", then turned to Al and said "I had better apologise to my Mum when I see her next!" The look on the guys face was priceless.
    So THAT'S why Jude isn't blonde any more!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Yep, all true.

That Melbourne bloke needed therapy after we finished with him.
    The classic was when he went to say something else later and his mate looked at him and told him to shut up!
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Good luck and all the best to him!! The man's a champion and Freo are lucky to have him. This talk about limited abilities and lack of a good footy brain are nonsense. I seem to remember some posters laughing at his work with GC, teaching them to back themselves as a chance to win every game. Brett Ratten is amused, I'm sure.

BUT - I'm only disappointed that he's chosen to work with Ross Lyon, who couldn't find culture in a cheese factory. My prediction is that Kirky will discover his personal values are incompatible with Lyon's in not more than two seasons. Ever since he retired, Kirky's said that if he coached, he felt it should not be at the Swans right away. Even though he knew that's not what everyone wanted him to say, he couldn't just say he was interested in coaching, and let people believe he meant at the Swans. How's he going to put up with a guy who says just enough to lead you to a certain conclusion when he knows full well it is not true?

And yes, I know he knew him as a player/coach, but he (Kirky) was much younger, and players don't always know that much about the behind the scenes manouevering that goes on, plus Lyon may not have been such a cynical manipulator back then. Just my formed-from-a-distance theory.

As to whether he'll come back to Sydney - probably, and I HOPE SO!! but we ARE a bit spoiled for choice amongst former players, and the opportunity has to be there for Kirky. Stu Maxfield and Henry Playfair, for example. Possibly add Jarred Moore in there too.

Oh no - just realised he's going to be coaching Nanny McPhee. Eewww.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkari View Post

Oh no - just realised he's going to be coaching Nanny McPhee. Eewww.
    ...and Hayden Ballantyne!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    ...and Hayden Ballantyne!
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    - and the tv gig was becoming cringe worthy -
    Yeah, I'm not too sure he had much of a future there.

I was watching a game a couple of weeks ago and the commentary team were constantly asking - what do you think Kirky? They spent the whole match giving him some easy possessions (in the commentary sense)...I suspect there may have been some writing on the wall.

He was too serious - maybe it's his personality.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Regular in the Side
    I don't get the "not too bright" comments. Wasn't he educated as a qualified teacher? People who know him personally can't speak highly enough of his character. He's a thinking man, maybe too intellectual for some in footy but I've always admired his courage, commitment and talents.

I wish him, his wife and 5 children success in WA. I agree with Kirkari that working with Lyons is a disappointment, but hopefully Kirky is in training to come back home and coach his beloved Swans one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    That can't be true, Al. Right now I'm sporting a black eye after a dispute with a bloke who refused to accept you are a living god. I know both Kirky and Shirley Maclaine have small incense-strewn altars to you. Well, it looked like you.
    Al looks a lot like the Buddha.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

I'll dig that game out and have a look.
    . Kirky has a uni degree and is a teacher.
    . He has the uncanny knack of remembering who y ou are even if its 12 months from when you last touched base.
    . He really doesn't care what you think about him.
    . He is as tough as old boots.
    . He lights up wherever he is;
    . His team mates, young and old, flock to him whenever he turns up, and virtually wag their tails.
    that'll do me.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I'll dig that game out and have a look.
    . Kirky has a uni degree and is a teacher.
    . He has the uncanny knack of remembering who y ou are even if its 12 months from when you last touched base.
    . He really doesn't care what you think about him.
    . He is as tough as old boots.
    . He lights up wherever he is;
    . His team mates, young and old, flock to him whenever he turns up, and virtually wag their tails.
    that'll do me.
    You mainly see the side of his head on TV when he does the interviews because he ALWAYS looks straight at the person he's speaking to, and couldn't care less about getting his mug on camera.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

He also has a fantastic array of tie dye leotards. Hard to look straight at him when he is wearing them though

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast